1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
The RR should be on the hook for malfeasance, nonfeasance and misfeasance in maintaining their properties fencing and adequate security. Put the rail on the hook for the stolen guns. Their box car, their yard, their culpability.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Gangs reap guns from trains in violent Chicago neighborhoods ? Chicago Sun-Times

Poor security makes rail yards a shopping mall for thieves.

"The train with guns stopped at 1:20 a.m. The thieves belonged to two gangs and teamed up only after running into each other in the yard because they couldn’t whisk enough guns away alone."
We had a similar story pop up in Louisville a year or two ago. I'm still having a hard time figuring out why firearms are being transported in such an unsecured manner.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
'New pretrial filings describe one thief using expletives to convey the excitement as he ripped open boxes of guns: “Oh man!” he says. “These … are pretty!”'

Glad to see they appreciate craftsmanship!

What an embarrassment of a city government. The problem isn't train yard security, it's a bunch of politicians who are tougher on their own cops than they are on gangs.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Along with two other major gun thefts within three years, the robbery helped fuel a wave of violence on Chicago’s streets. Really? NExt shipment should be fake guns and a box car on both sides full of ATF>

Ever had one of your packages lost by Fed Ex or USPS? Not their fault, even when insured. The only person responsible for a loss during transit is the lowest man on the totem poll. The one who packaged it..........

Wonder how they knew which box car and when it would be there waiting for the taking? Guessing train robbers do not get hung anymore.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Um...it's still not the gun's fault........doesn't matter if they stole 1000 of them. The focus is on the train yard, the guns etc......how about 30 years for all of those involved?

Besides....if the RR cared at all they would have had gun buster signs displayed and thereby prevented the whole thing.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
The RR should be on the hook for malfeasance, nonfeasance and misfeasance in maintaining their properties fencing and adequate security. Put the rail on the hook for the stolen guns. Their box car, their yard, their culpability.
How about just feasance....?? :wave:

·
Registered
642 Posts
Um...it's still not the gun's fault........doesn't matter if they stole 1000 of them. The focus is on the train yard, the guns etc......how about 30 years for all of those involved?

Besides....if the RR cared at all they would have had gun buster signs displayed and thereby prevented the whole thing.
How about 30 years to life for the person/persons that tipped them off? Just for grins, on the next run they should fill the crates with hornets nests.:smile:

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
So what does this mean? We're going to see Chicago gang members packing Vaqueros now?
:wink:

I live by the tracks. Apparently the busiest RR track in America I've been told. The one that links NYC and Chicago.
Usually 4-5 times a week a train will just stop and sit there. Shipping containers, UPS trailers... all just ripe for the pickings for anyone who wanted to climb aboard with a big pair of bolt cutters or a battery grinder and toss stuff off.
Maybe trains should start putting cabooses on again with a couple agents in them for just such an occasion. Or one agent and a good dog.

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Next time, they should rail-ship M1 Garands from the CMP. Then arrest EVERYone who shows-up at a Chicago hospital ER with a mashed & mangled...right THUMB! :image035:

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
How about 30 years to life for the person/persons that tipped them off? Just for grins, on the next run they should fill the crates with hornets nests.:smile:
Yeah, there's clearly a hole in their "need-to-know" bucket. As for the hornets, good idea yet I'd be concerned about lawsuits (on the hornets' behalf) by the SPCA & Dept. of Fish & Wildlife. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Reading the story, I don't see that the containers were targeted for having guns. The thugs were just breaking into containers looking for anything to steal and happened upon a jackpot.

Maybe if any guns in containers were to always be packed at the far end from the doors...

Reactions: HD9 and OD*

·
Super Moderator
22,275 Posts
Nothing really new. When I worked for ConRail the locals around 55th Street whined when a couple Railroad Dicks killed a hood-rat INSIDE a trailer, said it was entrapment. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
323 Posts
only good thing i know about here is the container company's are going to be using a different style carrier for rail transport. it will not be possible to just open a door on a tin can. would need a torch to cut through the walls to get in.
the upper decker can? not sure how they plan on securing up there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts