Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
The liberal utopia has arrived. Sunny skies, nice people, and a murder rate to die for....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Here's the original article: City Implements 911 Dispatch Changes @ Chicago Sun-Times.

From the article said:
All “non-criminal” reports will be taken over the phone, including lost property and damage caused when a window is broken or a tree falls on property. Police will also no longer respond in person to a variety of criminal reports, including: vehicle or other theft; garage burglaries; bogus checks; lewd, obscene or threatening phone calls without “imminent danger”; simple assault and animal bites.
911 for emergencies only? Makes sense to me. That was its intent, anyway, though it's much-abused by the fearful, believing it's the single, end-all, be-all way to communicate with "help."

These non-emergency things shouldn't be 911/emergency calls anyway. It's why the non-emergency lines exist. Nice to see that Chicago's putting it's foot down, in this regard. As they're pointing out, it can make a tremendous difference in the costs involved, allowing a good number of officers to be freed up for what's truly urgent.

History and pretty architecture aside, I still won't visit Chicago ... for all the obvious reasons.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
So basically, if there's no blood, or at least not much, there will be no policeman.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts

·
Registered
45,430 Posts
If this report had been from Bollweevil instead of Chicago, no one would have said a thing. I can easily see where no LEOs are (should) be rushed out ala 911 for a call where a breakin occured hours before the homeowner came home. At that point it becomes a routine call, not a 911 emergency. How do you think you'd feel if you're calling 911 for an intruder in your home only to be told by the dispatcher that no LEOs are available, they're all out investigating stolen hubcaps?

But, hey--it's Chicago, so it's easy pickings.

Reactions: ElMonoDelMar

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
If attacked, victims are supposed to soil themselves...
Nope. If person-crimes and attacked, as always would-be victims are supposed to use 911. The move being reported is to push the non-emergency line for non-emergency situations.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
I guess it is a toss up between vacationing there or Beirut......'bout equal from where I stand. BUT , don't believe there is a gun ban in Beirut so you may have better chances there!
at least in Beirut they can find ammo....... just saying

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Nope. If person-crimes and attacked, as always would-be victims are supposed to use 911. The move being reported is to push the non-emergency line for non-emergency situations is what's being done.
As it should be.

I've made one 911 call in my life, but i have non-emergency numbers for local, county and state police in my phone.

Actually two for OSP, since they have different dispatch centers for different parts of the state. They come in handy to report stranded motorists. I've stopped to help change a tire more than once, but if my family is with me, it's better to report it than put me and mine at risk.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I think I have read on this forum that Illinois is one of the states that do not allow their citizens to carry so there must not be any gun crime for the police to respond to!!!

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I think it was around a year ago or so that Oakland, CA did the same thing.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I can see the signs now, "Please move your battered carcass off the sidewalk so as to not impede other foot traffic".

Reactions: Ghost1958

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Nice to see that Chicago is catching up with the rest of the world. My old department has had similar policies for about twenty years now. You don't need a badge and gun to write most reports. A civilian in a telephone reporting unit can (and usually will) write about six times as many reports during a shift as a patrol officer who has to drive to each location.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
This used to happen in Newark NJ years back......called Headquarters once when a neighbor phoned and told us we were being robbed in one of our yards by 3 men with a truck they were loading up. Dispatcher responded.....we have no one to send at this time.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
If this is evidence that Chicago is going to largely ignore these 'lesser' types of crimes it's a big mistake.
Giuliani proved that cleaning the squeegee thugs, muggers, graffiti 'artists', etc. changed the city's (NYC) entire atmosphere, and led to a big drop in crime.
When you let the 'small stuff' go it sends the message to BGs and GGs alike that lawlessness is permissible...and that everyone is on their own.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Wonder who determines what qualifies as a need to send the police to a 911 call. :frown:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts