Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was taken from another source read the post and then give your opinion.

A few days ago I hear the handle on my front door working like mad. Looking at the door I was really confused because I couldn't see anyone through the glass or the sidelight. Walking over I look down and see a little mop of brown hair belonging to a little girl around 2 years old. It was early afternoon and in short order I found her mom who was visiting our next door neighbor. Her response was "Oh there you are!"

So my question is what do you do with a small child on your doorstep who is not old enough to tell you anything? Does your course of action change by time of day? As I thought this through I thought about someone using a kid as bait to open a door. So your thoughts?
To open or not to open?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Criminals know our weaknesses. They are not above using a child to disarm you to gain entry, so if the child is not in distress, don't open the door.

·
Premium Member
3,841 Posts
For a 2 year old, I am checking the porch through the window and then opening assuming nothing suspicious.

I have a neighbor who's 3 year old wondered off several years ago. We found him unharmed after a 15 or 20 minute search, but the fact is small children do wonder off occasionally. Having children at home right now, I understand this and in fact I am very used to children knocking on the door or ringing the doorbell. Most are between the ages of 5 and 9 and I know most of them from being in the neighborhood, but occasionally kids I don't know show. Having kids around is part of every day life.

Staying aware does not mean living in a bubble, at least for me. I refuse to not help a 2 year old if I can.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
It's situations like this that dramatically highlight the need to have a clear field of view from the front door/entry area, without hiding spots.

I'm always armed anyway, always look out the windows first to determine who's there, always use the wide-view peep-hole, and always answer the door armed. And generally I require people call ahead, before visits/gatherings. That mix doesn't catch everything, but IMO it comes as reasonably close as I'm prepared to deal with considering my refusal to accept turning my lifestyle on its head.

A 2yr old child on the porch? After scanning, I'm pretty sure I'd be opening the door. Armed and aware, of course.

·
Banned
2,030 Posts
I'm sure I would open the door for a child. I'm always armed and try to stay aware of what's going on around me. What is BEK?

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I'd probably open the door. Unless I'm expecting someone I never open it without a gun in hand.

·
Registered
941 Posts
My house is a known safe place. I'm opening the door. I'm staying aware as I always am, but I'm opening the door.

I'd rather die than be so scared to do so that I wouldn't help a kid.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death, but the valiant taste of death but once. It seems to me most strange that men should fear, seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come." - Shakespeare, Julius Caesar

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a delay on my alarm system - I can take my gun or push a button and I get three minutes delay before the alarm is sent. I can push the button and as long as I put the gun back or shut it off the alarm will not go. No matter what, if someone is at my door I am likely to answer it, particularly if it is a child. I will be prepared but seriously folks, we are humans and cannot let the behavior of a few bad apples affect the way that we treat others.

The golden rule - if this was YOUR two year old - what would you HOPE someone would do if she was lost?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
When I was a kid the "safe" houses had painted hand prints in the windows. They were the homes of other elementary school kids.

I don't know how they made sure but back then most everyone was safe and friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
If your wife is home, leave the kid with her and walk over to your neighbors to see if anyone is short one kid. If you're by yourself, take the kid with you. If a quick walk around the immediate neighborhood doesn't locate the parents, go back home and call the local authorities, at which point it becomes their problem and no longer yours.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm opening the door. I won't turn away a child. Obviously I will scan before opening. And if it is someone using a child just to gain entry I will be sure to savagely do harm to them, the bg not the child

·
Registered
127 Posts
If your wife is home, leave the kid with her and walk over to your neighbors to see if anyone is short one kid. If you're by yourself, take the kid with you. If a quick walk around the immediate neighborhood doesn't locate the parents, go back home and call the local authorities, at which point it becomes their problem and no longer yours.

No offense but I know my neighbors kids I would hope you do to. I would just call the police myself and go from there. My thought is if your walking around with the child it might invite trouble. You just never know anymore. It just covers you better at least the call has been made to proper channels.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
Not I. I live in a 55+ gated community. I'm not saying it's an alien, but... :wink:

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
For a 2 year old, I am checking the porch through the window and then opening assuming nothing suspicious.

I have a neighbor who's 3 year old wondered off several years ago. We found him unharmed after a 15 or 20 minute search, but the fact is small children do wonder off occasionally. Having children at home right now, I understand this and in fact I am very used to children knocking on the door or ringing the doorbell. Most are between the ages of 5 and 9 and I know most of them from being in the neighborhood, but occasionally kids I don't know show. Having kids around is part of every day life.

Staying aware does not mean living in a bubble, at least for me. I refuse to not help a 2 year old if I can.
This is how it is at my house too. Elementary school aged kids come in and out of the house all day long.

I too would never not help a young child in need.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts