Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im turing 21 in about a week and am planning on taking the class at the first avaliable time thereafter. The problem is that ive heard so many people say its not even worth it because here in Texas the laws are so strict. Just wondering if anyone had an opinion on the matter. by the way my first pistol is going to be a sig220st. thanks

·
Super Moderator
18,098 Posts
Ive heard that quite a bit myself...about my own state. As a CCW instructor and teaching the class and the law itself, youd be surprised at how many misconceptions there are. I've even had people argue with me about certain aspects of the law that someone had told them about, and because so and so told them they were certain that it was correct.

Dont let someone else decide for you if its worth it or not.
Take the class and get the information first hand.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I agree with HotGuns!

Do what you feel is right and being 21 please do not let the precived power of having a hand gun on you all the time bite you. Also 21 is legal drinking age, gun's and alcohol do not mix well.

I'm not preaching to you, just concerned! If you get your permit you will not only represent yourself but all of use too. Just be smart about it the first time. I am not sure at 21 I was ready to carry before getting somethings out of my system first.

Good luck,

Ti.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
All good advice. For sure get that class under your belt and as for the 220 - not a bad start at all :smile:

However restrictive some carry laws appear to be - chances are if you are careful and work within those you'll still find you have a better situation with than without.

One of biggest things I urge all my students to remember is the awesome responsibility they carry, along with their gun.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Welcome to the boards!

Take the class and get your permit anyway. Good situational awareness can keep you out of a lot of trouble, and learning the laws is something we all have to deal with on different levels. For new permitholders, it can seem overwhelming.

Please stick around - this is a great board and there's lots to learn. And Happy Birthday!:banana:

·
Registered
988 Posts
Take the class. Any information and training is good information and training. Like others have said, don't let someone else decide what's best for you. Take everyone's advice and use it to help weigh the decision that you must make for yourself. CCW is a huge personal responsibility but it's the greatest tool you could ever give yourself if you ever came into a situation where your life depended on it.

IMO, if you have the opportunity to carry then you should seize it. Get the training you need, get to the range and practice, then carry that handgun anywhere and everywhere you can.

·
Registered
57 Posts
js365k said:
Im turing 21 in about a week and am planning on taking the class at the first avaliable time thereafter. The problem is that ive heard so many people say its not even worth it because here in Texas the laws are so strict. Just wondering if anyone had an opinion on the matter. by the way my first pistol is going to be a sig220st. thanks
Find a CHL class that'll walk you through the entire process. It's quite a bit, but my CHL class walked me through all the fingerprinting, signing of pictures, etc etc etc, so it wasn't that big of a deal.

Though, I am still waiting for my CHL, but it didnt seem that big of a deal to me. It could be worse.

you could be in Kansas.

BTW If you're in Texas, check out http://www.texaschlforum.com, every question you might have might be answered here.

I don't think the laws are that strict. Just remember to show your CHL along with your drivers license whenever you have L.E.O. contact, and follow the rules as to where you can and cannot carry. It's not THAT complicated, IMHO.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Get your permit and ignore the naysayers. Most often they have no clue of what they're talking about. A coworker at the gun store I work at continually tells people that you can't legally carry in a bank. BS!! is what I tell him everytime, yet he persists. Certainly it's a really bad idea to be 'made' in a bank, but it's not illegal to carry there. Take the class, get your P220, a good belt, a good holster and most importantly a range membership. Watch your back, stay alert, and if necessary shoot straight, you'll do just fine. :smile:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Many years ago, I figured out that most of what you hear, from most people (even "authorities") is wrong.
I suggest that you go to Packing.org and read up on what it has to say on Texas, then, go to the linked pages for the actual Texas laws, and read them.
You will be well ahead of the game that way.

P.S. Don't do what I did when I turned 21, and buy (with the notion of concealed carry) an 8 inch barreled S&W model 686 with a cheap Uncle Mike's nylon shoulder holster!:hand5:
Good luck. :smile:

·
Registered
481 Posts
As another Texas CHL member, I agree with exactly what has been said here already. Whoever told you that was either trying to justify why they have never taken the course, or making sure you would not want to be legal carrying and licensed while they are not.

Course is not hard, very informative. As a former LEO from the 70's and 80's, a lot of it was good refresher material for me. I enjoyed it.

As to the laws being too strict.... hogwash. Memorize where you can't carry, remember to show both DL and CHL to LEO officers when stopped, and you have no problems.

Regardless of how someone else preceives the laws to be, just remember that when licensed, you are legal to carry. If you are not licensed, you are illegal if you choose to carry. It's that simple. I don't want to gamble, and I value my guns, so I choose to be legal all the way around.

Like others have also mentioned above, the Texas CHL forum is a good place to get information. A bunch of us from the board are planning to have a table set up at the TSRA gun show and meeting in Mesquite the weekend after next at the Rodeo Convention Center. Drop by if you are in the neighborhood and you can get all the information you need first hand !

·
Registered
641 Posts
Take the class and take it seriously. No matter how bad or good it might end up being there is a strong possibility that you will learn something useful about carrying concealed. That will end up making you into a more responsible, more effective, and more knowledgeable concealed carrier of a handgun. Never pass up an opportunity to learn something. And, only you can be the judge of the worth of whether or not the effort was worth it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
While reading the posts here I think I counted 5 Texans responding. I will be # 6. Get it. Texas laws are not restrictive. There are really very few places where you will spend your after work time that are posted. I will take it for granted that you will not be able to carry at work, most are not. You can keep it locked in your vehicle if you choose. I do not have that restriction being self-employed. I am armed 24-7. I will ditto a couple of things you have read. Go to a class the walks you through the paper work, does the prints, & photos. They are a little more expensive than those that only do the class & you are responsible for the rest. IT IS WORTH THE DIFFERENCE. By the time you pay for the fingerprints at local LE, get passport photos, add the gas expense you will be awful close to the same $$'s. Then time. Big thing is they make the paper work much easier. 2nd thing is visit texaschlforum.com That is a great forum & a Texas Lawyer is the creator & moderator. There are several instructors, LEO's, long time carriers, folks of every age & walk of life. Last thing is remember the overwhelming agreement above is GET IT & then CARRY IT. :hand10:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts