Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When concerning traffic stops, I have heard lots of different things as far as letting the LEO know of your weapon. I have been told you do not have to disclose unless asked, I have been told to hand the CHL with the driver's license and wait for a response, and I have heard that simply handing the CHL or alerting the police officer can be seen as pushy or even "bothering" the officer with extra information. Having only been pulled over once since getting my CHL 3 years ago, I just handed the CHL with th driver's license and was asked if I was carrying, I said yes, and he said "no problem" asked where it was located and instructed me to keep my hands away from my right hip. My question is: Is it encouraged or discouraged to offer that you are armed if you are the passenger in a car that is pulled over? Have any of you guys disclosed it voluntaruly or do you just keep your mouth shut unless asked?

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
As a passenger, unless asked for ID, I wouldn't worry about it. If asked for ID, I would give him both my DL and my CHL, and see where he goes from there. As a driver, there is a requirement to notify. If stopped I have my DL & CHL out, in my hand, before he approached the car. Even though there is no penalty for failing to inform anymore, I would still advise you inform the LEO as a matter of professional courtesy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
but what do they know?

I've yet to be pulled over while carrying. However, my question is, once the LEO goes back to their car and runs your license through his computer, doesn't it show you have a CCL? and possibly a registered gun? Along will all your other 'being pulled over for this' reports?

My vote is 50/50, let him know and he might thank you, or become a bit more worried that you have a loaded gun. Or, don't let him know and he thinks you're just another guy going over the speed limit...etc...

·
Registered
38 Posts
As a passenger, unless asked for ID, I wouldn't worry about it. If asked for ID, I would give him both my DL and my CHL, and see where he goes from there. As a driver, there is a requirement to notify. If stopped I have my DL & CHL out, in my hand, before he approached the car. Even though there is no penalty for failing to inform anymore, I would still advise you inform the LEO as a matter of professional courtesy.
As LE the officer would rather know that you have a weapon when he gets to the vehicle you telling him shows him you will be compiling with him, as for as the passenger if asked let him know. The officer has no idea what he will find when he gets to the vehicle be professional.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've yet to be pulled over while carrying. However, my question is, once the LEO goes back to their car and runs your license through his computer, doesn't it show you have a CCL? and possibly a registered gun? Along will all your other 'being pulled over for this' reports?

My vote is 50/50, let him know and he might thank you, or become a bit more worried that you have a loaded gun. Or, don't let him know and he thinks you're just another guy going over the speed limit...etc...
I wouldn't hesitate to let him know. In fact, I'd be glad to let him know! As a CPL holder, you're stating that you're not a criminal with x felonies or x misdemeanors. That should ease his/her mind a bit and hopefully make things go more smooth.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
This depends on the state. No requirement to notify in TN

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
If I'm a passenger in a vehicle in FL, I'm keeping my mouth closed unless I am directly addressed...being the driver, I would probably give my CCW ID even if not required to do so...just out of courtesy. OMO

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Know your state law. In Ohio, if their is a traffic stop or other law enforcement purpose, all armed occupants shall inform the LEO of their status. The on going joke is that the 2 major firearms groups will charter a bus and make it a point to get pulled over so all 100 or so of us has to inform, again, that is only a joke.

·
Registered
785 Posts
In SC, if asked for identification by a LEO, you are required to inform him you are carrying and to present your permit (which must be carried any time you are armed). If you are a carrying passenger in a traffic stop, unless the officer is dealing with you and asks for your ID, I wouldn't say anything. If you are the subject of the stop, I believe it's ALWAYS smart to inform the officer you are armed and have a permit. Much better to disclose up front than have the officer accidentally discover it later - which could cause you to eat some asphalt and wear chrome bracelets for a while until he sorts things out. Given PC (and that's not hard to come up with - a frown from you could do it), the officer can search you and any place you could reach when he walked up to your car.

I've been stopped twice while carrying. Once in NC when I was carrying openly on the dashboard as prescribed by law. The officer confiscated my weapon for the duration of the stop. Once in SC when I was carrying concealed. I handed the officer my permit, informed him I was armed, and told him where my weapon was. He instructed me, "Don't put your hands near it." We went on about our business with no problems.

When stopped by a LEO, be calm and polite. It never hurts to say "Sir", and "Officer" when addressing him. Even if the officer does something you believe to be illegal or unnecessary, at the scene is not the time to argue about it. The officer will maintain control at the scene by any method he deems necessary. Have your day in court or with his superior in a citizen's complaint. Comply with his commands. If his questioning strays off the reason for the stop or becomes too probing, "Officer, I respectfully refuse to answer any further questions until I have been informed of my rights and have my lawyer present." Keep in mind that LEOS are trained to extract information and even a "friendly" discussion may be an information-gathering mission. ..."anything you say will be held against you..."

Carry in Peace.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
If I'm a passenger in a vehicle, I'm keeping my mouth closed unless I am directly addressed...being the driver, I would probably give my CCW ID even if not required to do so...just out of courtesy. OMO
YUP! Me too! :yup:

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
To answer your question, since you're from Texas and that should be the answers that concern you, as a passenger you should not worry about it unless the officer(s) ask you for ID

No registration of guns in Texas so no info for the officer on the return
some in-car computer systems have CHL info on a driver's return, some don't

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
Know your state law. In Ohio, if their is a traffic stop or other law enforcement purpose, all armed occupants shall inform the LEO of their status. The on going joke is that the 2 major firearms groups will charter a bus and make it a point to get pulled over so all 100 or so of us has to inform, again, that is only a joke.
Would that really be necessary to conform with the law?:blink:

·
Super Moderator
18,105 Posts
Its easy to forget on an internet forum that there are people speaking from all 50 states here.

What goes in one state may not fly in another.

Be sure to know what your state requires if you are carrying. YOU are responsible for knowing the laws of your state.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Would that really be necessary to conform with the law?:blink:
Yes it would

2923.126 Duties of licensed individual.

(A) A license to carry a concealed handgun that is issued under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code on or after March 14, 2007, shall expire five years after the date of issuance, and a license that is so issued prior to March 14, 2007, shall expire four years after the date of issuance. A licensee who has been issued a license under that section shall be granted a grace period of thirty days after the licensee’s license expires during which the licensee’s license remains valid. Except as provided in divisions (B) and (C) of this section, a licensee who has been issued a license under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code may carry a concealed handgun anywhere in this state if the licensee also carries a valid license and valid identification when the licensee is in actual possession of a concealed handgun. The licensee shall give notice of any change in the licensee’s residence address to the sheriff who issued the license within forty-five days after that change.

If a licensee is the driver or an occupant of a motor vehicle that is stopped as the result of a traffic stop or a stop for another law enforcement purpose and if the licensee is transporting or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle at that time, the licensee shall promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the licensee has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the licensee currently possesses or has a loaded handgun; the licensee shall not knowingly disregard or fail to comply with lawful orders of a law enforcement officer given while the motor vehicle is stopped, knowingly fail to remain in the motor vehicle while stopped, or knowingly fail to keep the licensee’s hands in plain sight after any law enforcement officer begins approaching the licensee while stopped and before the officer leaves, unless directed otherwise by a law enforcement officer; and the licensee shall not knowingly remove, attempt to remove, grasp, or hold the loaded handgun or knowingly have contact with the loaded handgun by touching it with the licensee’s hands or fingers, in any manner in violation of division (E) of section 2923.16 of the Revised Code, after any law enforcement officer begins approaching the licensee while stopped and before the officer leaves. Additionally, if a licensee is the driver or an occupant of a commercial motor vehicle that is stopped by an employee of the motor carrier enforcement unit for the purposes defined in section 5503.04 of the Revised Code and if the licensee is transporting or has a loaded handgun in the commercial motor vehicle at that time, the licensee shall promptly inform the employee of the unit who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the licensee has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the licensee currently possesses or has a loaded handgun.

·
Registered
350 Posts
As you've heard, you need to comply with state law. If the law does not require informing, I personally will not volunteer the information. While many LEOs would like to know, it doesn't really make them any safer, and I believe it makes me significantly less safe if the officer decides he wants to handle my firearm. Others disagree and that's fine.

I haven't been pulled over in 20 years, either as a driver or as a passenger, so it's not really an issue I worry about either way.

·
Registered
187 Posts
As a driver, there is a requirement to notify.
That's not quite accurate. All CHL holders in Texas have the same responsibility to show the CHL if asked for ID whether they are driving or not. The only thing special about being the driver is that you are pretty much guaranteed to be asked for your ID.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The law in Texas changed Sept 1. Your Texas CHL will no longer be suspended if you fail to produce your CHL for a LEO. However, I think it is still wise to produce your CHL when asked for ID especially if you're armed. It shows common courtesy to the LEO and makes interaction with LEOs more civil.

In 2007 Texas Legislators decided to extend the Castle Doctrine to private autos and made it legal for all Texas law abiding citizens to have a concealed hand gun in the auto for protection. Also,it isn't necessary to tell LEOs that you have a weapon in the car. So, during the last session the legislators decided the CHL holders should have the same right.

Its all confusing to me they decided to do it this way. It seems to me they should have left the CHL regulation the way it was and required the non CHL in an auto to declare they had a weapon.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Its all confusing to me they decided to do it this way. It seems to me they should have left the CHL regulation the way it was and required the non CHL in an auto to declare they had a weapon.
Perhaps they figured that the obvious solution is for LEOs to ask about weapons if they want to know instead of making it everybody's legal obligation to announce to the LEO and everybody else in earshot that they are armed. Or perhaps because they figured that the people who tell LEOs that they are armed are not the people LEOs need to worry about anyway? I don't know why they did it either, but it seems like a good change to me.

·
Registered
187 Posts
It is still a requirement that Texas CHL holders produce their CHL when asked for ID if they are armed at the time. They removed the penalty, but not the requirement to show it.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I can't see a problem with the passenger having his ID and CHL out (in his hand) before the officer gets to the car window. That way, the driver can tell the LEO that he is licensed and carrying, and then add that the passenger is as well. The LEO would be able to see the license(s) in the passenger's hand, and decide whether or not he wishes to see it.

I don't see how it can be that big of an inconvience for the passenger to pull out his license and CHL just in case. But I'm sure the LEO would be much more comfortable knowing that everyone is being honest.

(In TX, the driver would have to show as other people have stated.)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts