Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Do It Yourself: Stripped Lower from Spikes Tactical for Half-Price

Votes: 16 29.1%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I have researched the battle rifles, the AR-15 has clearly stood out as the leader of the pack. A shotgun may be a more practical solution in some ways because of the limited spray/range of buckshot but an AR-15 is modular, easily upgradable and can do a lot of things for a household in a pinch. :wink:

This rifle will be used for home defense and of course, the fun training that goes along with that. I reload my own 223 ammo, so I will be practicing as much as I can. This weapon will not be used for hunting or long-range target shooting.

So as I sorted through my choices, I came down to about four different ones. I am curious which one you guys think is the best way to go and why?

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Personally, I draw on my 3-gun experiences and actually seeing what worked there; DPMS never failed me in all the years I have shot those guns, putting thousands of rounds downrange with zero failures. I bought a Sportical just before the election for $625, but have since bought a gas-piston conversion for it. I already have a 6.8SPC top end as well. I think just about anything you get from Daniel, S&W or any other major player ought to be OK for your application because they all pretty much follow the same formula nowadays. For more advice and observation, seek out a 3-gun USPSA/IDPA match in your neck of the woods. That bunch can tell you a whole lot about what equipment works and what doesn't under pressure.....

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
DIY.

That way, you can get exactly the rifle, with accesories, that you want. You want 1:9 instead of 1:7? Easy to do. You want a certain handguard/tube/rail, with a UBR stock? You got it..

And, now that I've begun the process of building my own upper (I've built several lowers) and have seen how easy it is...I doubt I'll ever buy another complete rifle again.

Arf.com has great guides on building your own uppers & lowers, and you really don't need a ton of expensive tools to do it; a set of good punches, a receiver block and a barrel wrench is about it for specialized tools...and Brownell's has you covered for all of 'em...you can probably get what you need for less than $100.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I just completed assembling 3 rifles using stripped Doublestar lowers. I've enjoyed the research and the assembly.

I worked with my youngest to build the one he will use. He has a good grasp on operation now.

Any money saved can be used for "goodies" later.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I bought a DoubleStar, mostly because I live within an hours drive of thier production facility. I diddnt want to build my first one.

·
Banned
342 Posts
I've always bought from the factory. I leave building weapons to the experts.

My suggestion to this often asked question is buy the best your budget allows.
IMO, that would be:

For >$1k I suggest Colt...maybe Armalite.
For $850 Bushmaster.
For $650 I'd get the Bargain Bin CMMG

If you're on a budget the CMMG (while it lasts) seems solid.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've always bought from the factory. I leave building weapons to the experts.
I do have some safety concerns about building my own. I realize it is easy in retrospect but the headspacing issue with the bbl is something that I have heard can be screwed up.

·
Banned
342 Posts
I do have some safety concerns about building my own. I realize it is easy in retrospect but the headspacing issue with the bbl is something that I have heard can be screwed up.
Yes indeed.

I've always been a proponent of leaving specialized and detailed jobs with little to no margin for error to the expert.

Also, if this is going to be the OP's first AR, I don't believe building one would be the best idea. Buy one off the shelf and get to know the weapon inside/out before attempting the build.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I picked up a Doublestar in Feb. of this year, and have close to 1000 rounds throught it without any problems what so ever. Couldn't beat the price, and had heard good things about them from others.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts

With an AR15, not so much; if your using quality components, they should all be in spec and good to go...but headspace guages aren't terribly expensive, nor is bringing it to a gunsmith and having them check it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The problem with tactical AR15s is that the rifle is actually an inexpensive start to a rather expensive process. So if you are going that way you might as well pick a quality one now and get used to paying $$$ out of your nose ;)

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I've been really pleased with my M&P15.... got 5 free Magpul Pmags from S&W for it too!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I'm partial to Armalites. :smile:

You can get one of these right now off Gunbroker for $900
( carbine or rifle )

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
First read this website.

So you want to buy an AR-15, huh? - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com

I learned more from this than anything. Then I chose differently than the author, but I knew why.
I picked a Colt, because I didn't want to wonder if a Colt would have been better. S&W is fine, Bushmaster is fine. But learn first.
I didn't know about chrome lined barrels, staked gas keys, magnetic particle testing, bolt carriers, buffers. The list goes on. I still don't know much, but the Colt was near the top of the list.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts