Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I just thought I would post a link to a series of blog posts I wrote on Evangelical Christianity and self defense. Here's part 1 of 4:
Christianity and Self Defsense, Part 1

Parts 2, 3, and 4 are linked at the bottom of each successive post. I enjoyed writing the series, so I hope it makes you consider.

My best to each of you and yours.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Thank you for sharing.

It may help answer questions that come up from time to time on this forum about SD and Christianity.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
That was a good read. Thanks for sharing it.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
<< Luke 22:36 >>

Then said he to them, But now, he that has a purse, let him take it, and likewise his money: and he that has no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Why buy a sword except for self defense?

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
I thought the passage in Luke was "Sell your cloak and buy a Glock!":rolleyes:

Thanks for the blog...:hand10:

·
Registered
749 Posts
MinistrMalic, I read your series. It was very well thought out and written. Your comments on martial arts raised some questions for me. I am trying to find an art that is not in conflict with my faith first and foremost. What are your thoughts on Krav Maga as compared to the Indenosian martial arts? I am trying to find an art that can be effective to the practioner in a matter of months instead of years and has practical application in this present society. and it's circumstances. Sorry if I am being long-winded.

·
Registered
617 Posts
From another Pastor....a very good read! Good job. One of the best commentaries I've seen on the subject of self-defense. Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
2,034 Posts

Actually, it was "Sell your wool blazer and buy a SIG"....:rofl:

Great read which better equips me to speak with some of the pacifists I encounter. Thanks for sharing it, Malic.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
MinistrMalic, I read your series. It was very well thought out and written. Your comments on martial arts raised some questions for me. I am trying to find an art that is not in conflict with my faith first and foremost. What are your thoughts on Krav Maga as compared to the Indenosian martial arts? I am trying to find an art that can be effective to the practioner in a matter of months instead of years and has practical application in this present society. and it's circumstances. Sorry if I am being long-winded.
I would recommend Haganah. . I am over 65, 100% disabled and found this training to be beneficial and an alternative to using my Glock. . It is simple in concept, easy to perform.

http://www.fight2survive.com/location.html

I was concerned as I had dabbled in Martial Arts when I was much younger and was worried that I couldn’t do the correct Katas. Hand position, foot position, Etc. This is not a sport where they judge you on the very correct position of you hand, feet, or how high you can kick Etc,

It is simply a self defense course that allows you to defend yourself and walk away or you can take it into the eradicate mode . The choice is up to you, not your aggressor. I didn’t find my age and physical ability to be too much of a hindrance.

I wasn’t able to do the ground and pound that some of the younger students were doing, so the instructor taught me what I was able to do within my limited physical condition. Putting your aggressor on the ground and limiting his abilities does not required you to go to the ground with him.

There is a move in whuch you break the agressor ankle. It became a joke, (which I also took part in) in my class as when I preformed a self defese movement it always ended with " and then you break his ankle"

Even though it is an Israeli art it is not religious orientated.

There is no requirement or suggestion that you honor any religious figure unlike some of the Asian matrial arts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well to me it's actually a double question. From a theological perspective I personally have no problem with Krav. It is a brutal art but has no idolatry within it that I can see. However, for the record I don't have a lot of experience with it and so my perspective is limited. YMMV.

My challenge with Krav (hmmm...better get some cover for getting flamed by Krav practitioners!:gah:) is it's execution. It is built and designed for the Israeli military. So that means young men. Strong young men. Sure others can use it, but I am concerned that as a 75-year-old it will not be helpful. I want an art that I can use throughout life.

Many arts are okay. I personally study American Kenpo. Find an instructor that isn't into the meditation and stuff, and whose philosophy is not that it takes years of study to gain proficiency with unarmed combat. At our school we believe that you gain from your very first class and can defend yourself in many situations right from the get go. Kenpo just makes you better at a skill you already possess.

That being said, there are no shortcuts to self defense. If you want to be proficient, a few months of training in anything will not cut it whatever anyone says. It'll make you better but not as much as you want. So find something you take joy in and stick with it. I have been studying Kenpo for about 3 1/2 years and enjoy it thoroughly. For me it is an extension of my armed combat skills!

·
Registered
536 Posts

It changes depending on who is doing the translating, it is not just word for word translation, the way they ordered sentences is totally different.

6th Commandment

tir-tsach LO
you shall murder NOT

other times it is

LO tir-tsach
NOT you shall murder

The Jewish sages note that the word “ratsakh” applies only to illegal killing (e.g., premeditated murder or manslaughter) — and is never used in the administration of justice or for killing in war. Hence the KJV translation as “thou shalt not kill” is too broad.
One day I would like to sit down with a Rabbi and learn to ACTUALLY read the old testement as written instead of someones translation. I would also like to ACTUALLY read the new testement too. There are people that spend their lives trying to do just that but I dont have that much patience.

Hebrew Lessons — Ten Commandments

My duty as a Christian is first and foremost to protect the innocent. Whether the subject is Abortion, Crime, Capital Punishment, or any of the other life and death issues we face day to day.

Good read on the link too, thanks.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I wouldn't describe protecting the innocent as the first duty of a Christian, but it's probably in the top ten.

And meditation during martial arts training is a great time for quiet prayer.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And meditation during martial arts training is a great time for quiet prayer.
I don't disagree on some levels. We have times of preparation that I find useful for prayer. In some arts, though, that time is specifically set aside for channeling chi or other ideas that are against a biblical worldview.

That was the point of the posts: chew the meat and spit the bones in martial arts styles. Some are great, some are okay with a few caveats, and some are best avoided by Christians.

Thanks for all the interaction! I appreciate it a lot.

·
Registered
536 Posts

Sorry RETSUPT I was dealing with the hurricane that wasn't when I responded last night, I missed the Glock :) I am still trying to figure where this massive hurricane the news channels were showing on TV was, I guess I am on the wrong beach at the border between Florida and Alabama? All I saw was a rainstorm.

·
Registered
154 Posts
<< Luke 22:36 >>

Why buy a sword except for self defense?
to fulfil prophecy

Isaiah 53:12

It could be argued that Christ was pointing out that the prophecy in Isaiah was fulfilled by the weapons being present. He doesn't tell the disciples to use the swords for anything, just that they should have them. he explicitly states the prophecy, and then checks with the disciples to see if they have the weapons mentioned in the prophecy.

The only time Christ mentions anything about self defense, it is in favor of pacifism. He commands peter to put away his sword when peter attempts to defend christ. christ commands his followers to turn the other cheek.

christ does tear up the temple, but the scripture does not mention whether or not christ actually assaulted anyone. just that he turned over tables and drove the money-changers out of the temple.

the example that the disciples set for the early church, aside from Peter's one act of violence which was rebuked by christ, is singularly pacifist. Only John died a natural death. The rest were executed and all were led to their deaths without a fight. sometimes they fled, but they never resisted. and there are no biblically recorded instances of early church christians using violence to defend themselves.

is it wrong for christians to defend themselves? personally i don't care what people decide. everyone needs to make that decision for themselves. but the example of christ is one of pacifism. the bible (new testament which is the new covenant that christians are to abide by) does not support a position of using self defense.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
christ commands his followers to turn the other cheek...

... the bible (new testament which is the new covenant that christians are to abide by) does not support a position of using self defense.
The thing about turning the other cheek is that in jewish culture, that was not a way of saying "go ahead and do what you want, I'm just going to sit here and let you" It was the equivelant of nonviolent protest, standing up for yourself. It was more defiant than submissive. More along the lines of saying "you can hit me on this side too, and I still won't be afraid of you." So don't mistake that as telling you not to defend yourself.

And while the New Testament doesn't explicitly give directions to defend yourself, it does not prohibit it either.

·
Registered
204 Posts
While obviously in favor of defending myself, the quote about "selling your cloak to buy a sword" really gets me. It seems to be the most popular religious quote regarding weapons among people on firearms boards. However, if im not mistaken, the completion of that quote (which nobody ever seems to want to sig) is "he who lives by the sword shall die by it."

1 - 20 of 59 Posts