Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be sure it is in checked baggage.

2 stopped at RDU with loaded guns in carry-on bags

Morrisville, N.C. — Over the course of 24 hours, Transportation Security Administration officers stopped two travelers from bringing loaded handguns onto planes at Raleigh-Durham International Airport.

In both incidents – Wednesday evening and Thursday morning – the travelers were stopped at security when X-ray machines detected the guns in their carry-on bags.

Both were cited and, because they were stopped at a TSA Precheck checkpoint, will lose their precheck privileges, which include accelerated airport security lines, for two years.
2 stopped at RDU with loaded guns in carry-on bags :: WRAL.com

·
Registered
722 Posts
lots of busy, important, high functioning people "forget" the travel rules regarding weapons in the carry-on....Jeb Bush, Bill Russel etc etc,...
Seattle Tacoma "SeaTac" has had as many as 50 a WEEK......."I forgot" is a defense in court because that's what Jeb told the Federal judge in Seattle, and, of course, Sorry...but good luck in your jurisdiction where maybe they don't allow concealed weapons...

·
Registered
26 Posts
lots of busy, important, high functioning people "forget" the travel rules regarding weapons in the carry-on....Jeb Bush, Bill Russel etc etc,...
Seattle Tacoma "SeaTac" has had as many as 50 a WEEK......."I forgot" is a defense in court because that's what Jeb told the Federal judge in Seattle, and, of course, Sorry...but good luck in your jurisdiction where maybe they don't allow concealed weapons...
I have a nephew with TSA and he said it is not uncommon for CHL holders to forget and have their weapon with them. I've never done it, but did have a penknife once that I had to "donate" to the government.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I'll be flying to Phoenix for a few days after new years with a kubaton and a flashlight. I'm actually more worried about hauling my CeraVe and contact lense solutions than my flight weapons.

I've never carried a knife or a gun in Arizona, ever.

:blink:

·
Registered
631 Posts
My dad is on the Sea-Tac airport list. He was flying out to visit me and left a revolver in his carry on. He had to go to court a few months later. The judge's son and my brother were on the same baseball team in high school. My dad was left with taking a firearm safety course.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I'll be flying to Phoenix for a few days after new years with a kubaton and a flashlight. I'm actually more worried about hauling my CeraVe and contact lense solutions than my flight weapons.

I've never carried a knife or a gun in Arizona, ever.

:blink:
No worries. Brownie & SatCong & GASmitty & DHart & many others have carried enough of both to make-up what you haven't (I suspect.) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
No worries. Brownie & SatCong & GASmitty & DHart & many others have carried enough of both to make-up what you haven't (I suspect.) :rolleyes:
My Mother could die proud knowing I was hanging with a crowd like that.

Hmmm . . .

Reactions: PhaedrusIV

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
There's a funny YT on what the TSA allows. Like cherry pie is OK but the filling by itself is not. Knitting needles and 6" metal scissors OK, but nail clippers are not. Bowling pins are ok but a bowling ball in a bag is not (impact weapons).

And they've never caught a terrorist (but probably missed a few that chickened out).

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
The only time I have ever taken weapons on a plane, was to go hunting in another state. Legally checked in with TSA, and only
rifles or shotguns....that is my experience with it.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Just flew with 3 handguns with ammo in 2 bags, checked of course. No problems at all. I can't say I've ever had any issues either.

I have to give a shout out to Portland (OR) airport. When you check in at the airline counter they give you back the checked bag, only the one with the gun, and you walk it over to the TSA check point for oversize bags and watch them inspect your bag before sending it into the back. Very nice IMO.

Reactions: Rockymonster

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
A friend's wife forgot she had a revolver in her purse once when flying. She didn't discover it until she reached her destination. TSA never caught it. She ended up mailing it home.

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
Just flew with 3 handguns with ammo in 2 bags, checked of course. No problems at all. I can't say I've ever had any issues either.

I have to give a shout out to Portland (OR) airport. When you check in at the airline counter they give you back the checked bag, only the one with the gun, and you walk it over to the TSA check point for oversize bags and watch them inspect your bag before sending it into the back. Very nice IMO.
Overall, Portland does a pretty good job IMHO. I've flown out of PDX many times with firearms in checked luggage without issue. Much better than many other airports I've been through.

Reactions: CWOUSCG

·
Registered
71 Posts
And....don't forget to fill out the forms telling them you have it in the checked bags... A very expensive mistake I made earlier this year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
It's mind-boggling to me that these people just "forget"....
It becomes routine, and you stop thing about it after a while. I can't tell you how many times throughout the years I've gone down to the courthouse and forgot about my phone in my pocket, the mace on my key chain, the neck knife around my neck, or the like all of which is prohibited in the courthouse....

I even put a firearm in a smal l duffel bag of mine, forgot it was in there, took it to work, and had an unwelcome surprise when I opened the bag during my lunch break in front of a group of co-workers who, lucky for me, didn't see it.

·
Premium Member
Lenexa, KS (Kansas City Metro)
865 Posts
It's mind-boggling to me that these people just "forget"....
I totally agree 100%. I know that mistakes happen and people forget but you should not forget that you are carrying a firearm in your carry on.

·
Registered
863 Posts
It can happen very easily if you are not paying attention. I bring a small duffle bag with me when I'm driving. My backup .38 is always in that bag with a reload. When I travel by plane I use that same bag as a carry on so it is possible if I forgot to remove the .38 I could get zapped.

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts
I have a nephew with TSA and he said it is not uncommon for CHL holders to forget and have their weapon with them. I've never done it, but did have a penknife once that I had to "donate" to the government.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I did that once & a very nice TSA lady walked me over to a UPS box, gave me an envelope out of it, told me how to fill it out, dropped it in the box & was home when I returned. I loved her!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts