Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my usual carry is a smith and wesson 642 in my pocket.we have a small to medium church kind of in the country and have never flet under-armed...however..this coming sunday we are having a well known and kind of controvercial guest preacher....we could have a ton of people,some of them none to happy.My question is....do I switch to a full size gun(pt945)that I can shoot more accuratly at a distance,and have a better chance of "one shot stops"..plus greater capacity and faster reloads.although I actually shoot the 45 better,it is waaay harder to carry and conceal than the little airweight.what would you do..and don't say..stay home this sunday..not an option;)

·
Registered
366 Posts
i say ...... pack the one you have the best acuracy....
just pack both.
and NO you cant stay home....

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
There are many many questions about church carry:

1. As a Christian I believe you should seek the Lord as to His will in this matter.

2. What are the state laws concerning church carry?

3. What is the will of the leadership of your church about armed security in your church?

4. Are you the only one that carries in your services, or are there more that you can depend on in an emergency situation?

These are only a few question that you will need to answer before Sunday services.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
There are many many questions about church carry:

1. As a Christian I believe you should seek the Lord as to His will in this matter.

2. What are the state laws concerning church carry?

3. What is the will of the leadership of your church about armed security in your church?

4. Are you the only one that carries in your services, or are there more that you can depend on in an emergency situation?

These are only a few question that you will need to answer before Sunday services.
...but presumably he's already dealt with these questions and came to the conclusion that he ought to carry.

Based on the reasoning of "If I knew there was gonna be a gunfight, I woudta brought a shotgun", I would suggest carrying both.

Sure, you're doing a combination of paranoia (you *know* that trouble is highly unlikely) and foolhardiness (you're going anyway) - so prepare for the worst and be quietly amused at how ridiculous you're being. Nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Well if you think there might be issues I would suggest bringing some buddies who are discreetly armed. I mean you don't want the OK Corral, but if you are expecting that there might be issues it would seem best to have more than one of you.

As for weapon, I would go with higher capacity and power personally, but that's just me. If you just can't conceal it, take the airweight and a speed strip or two, and hopefully a friend who is a sheepdog. Heck, even if they are not a regular attender it would be nice to have them.

Remember laws and the desires of your leadership. Above all, remember that you're not there on Sunday to be paranoid but to worship. Be prepared, be ready, but be there for the right reasons.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah,there will be a few armed ppl...and the Pastor knows and approves...we will have a security team of off duty cops/marines and ccw holders.We have plans(which usually go out the window)for different scenarios.
thx for the responses..I think I will carry both.

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
I generally carry the same gun for a year or two before switching to a different platform.

With that said, I look at the various guns I have to select from and ask myself one question; "If I knew I was going to be in a gunfight, and a handgun was all I could have, which of the various guns I own do I want?"

When I answer that question I find myself selecting the larger full-size gun as my daily carry piece. The smaller guns are used as BUG's. For almost a year I have been packing a Hi Power and a J-Frame. Before that I carried a 3" .357 Magnum with an SP101 and a J-Frame as BUG's. Over the years I have carried various guns as a "primary" for off duty carry. They are all large enough to be considered acceptable for "duty carry".

The reasons for packing a larger gun are many, but some of the more relevant ones are, accuracy, sight plane, ease of holding, minimizing recoil. The BUG's are for when I can't access the "primary", primary gun becomes broken or damaged, or the primary gun runs out of ammo.

With proper attention to detail/clothing, and using good gear, (belt and holster) I have found that it's pretty easy to hide a significantly larger gun than many people think possible.

I hope that helps, and good luck in your decision.

Biker

·
Registered
83 Posts
my usual carry is a smith and wesson 642 in my pocket.we have a small to medium church kind of in the country and have never flet under-armed...however..this coming sunday we are having a well known and kind of controvercial guest preacher....we could have a ton of people,some of them none to happy.My question is....do I switch to a full size gun(pt945)that I can shoot more accuratly at a distance,and have a better chance of "one shot stops"..plus greater capacity and faster reloads.although I actually shoot the 45 better,it is waaay harder to carry and conceal than the little airweight.what would you do..and don't say..stay home this sunday..not an option;)
Why even ask... just do it keep quiet.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think it depends on what your Sunday best is. Carry something you know you can conceal or change your wardrobe to allow for better concealment. There's something to be said for dressing up to go to church.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
I'd be 'fully' armed every Sunday, why not? You don't have the BG schedule for church incidents in your area, do you:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Church Carry options around here are...

Baptist, Methodist, Episcopal, Lutheran, Independent, Fundamental, and Catholic.

ETA: Sorry, just went back and read the whole post and not just the title. :image035:

(Couldn't resist-it was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the thread.)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Count yourself lucky.
Here in O-ho-ho we can't carry in church without permission of said church.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
And this changes what you carry, why?

Do you actually anticipate something happening that normally doesn't happen? It sounds like you expect a riot to break out and you will have to take out visitors and members of your congregation.

To paraphrase one of the opening lines to the Seder, "Why is this Sunday different from other Sundays?"

What is it about the guest that make you so concerned about what you will carry?

·
Registered
829 Posts
You never know where and when trouble may come looking. I carry my primary and BUG almost always. Even to church and have had plenty of questionable encounters. I would carry both for this reason, accessing a pocket gun is great when standing but when sitting, not so good... your 945 iwb with a tuckable holster should be ok... could also move your 642 to ankle...

·
Registered
971 Posts
I dont understand the controversy I do know if I were in your place and this concerned I would encourage my family to stay home. If there is this much of a chance of social uprising I would voice concern and see about hiring off duty deputies or something. To me its not should you or should you not carry in church. Its if you normally carry a j frame and you are mentally preparing for war rather than worship you are going to the wrong place.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a new guy to the forum, but not nearly new at C/C. I will not take issue with anyone who chooses not to carry, in a house of worship, or elsewhere. However, choosing to refrain from carrying, because you are in a house of worship, seems to be inconsistent in one's practice of worshiping. Yes, it is the Lord's house, and yes it is a set-aside day, event, and building (isn't that what holy means? set-aside, or "other"?).
No active shooter is going to pause for a moment BECAUSE it is a house of worship. Heck, that's probably their motivation for their proceeding there in the first place! Most of the church shootings I can think of (Colorado, east Tennessee, St. Louis, east Texas, to name just a few) are usually unstable, former members, or past visitors. If they find their way into your sanctuary, and "do the deed", how are you going to live with yourself in the aftermath, knowing, for the rest of your life, "I could've made a difference, if I'd only had the tools to face the threat". I have absolutely no desire to intentionally point a loaded firearm at a fellow human being. That being said, I would not hesitate to stop a fellow human being from the act of murder, with extreme prejudice, if murder were their intent.

Chuck58

"...may the Lord bless you and keep you. May he make His face to shine upon you..." Numbers 6:24
p.s. I hope this makes sense. This is my first forum post...heck of a way to introduce one's self...

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Grab a hymnal now, measure the pages and hollow it out and secure the pages along the edges leaving about 20 pages before and after the hollowing for cover. Stash your handgun in the hymnal and you can even open it to sing Go Tell it on the Mountain and no one will know. :image035:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts