Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know where I first heard this term. Supposedly the CIA, when in USSR used a piece of thread wrapped around the gun and their belt. The gun carried IWB of course. If they had to toss the gun they didn't have a telltale holster to deal with. I've tried it on limited occassions and it seems to work pretty well. It's a cheap solution and it keeps the gun from falling down your pants. I'm not advocating this for non-licensed carry. That would be very foolish.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Don't know about the CIA in Russia but during WWII the French resistance utilized this method. The idea was you could always ditch the gun if you had to and than you had no tell tale sign of a holster on your belt to show you went armed.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
I like the Bruce Willis carry myself......duct tape works!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I don't know where I first heard this term. Supposedly the cia, when in USSR used a piece of thread wrapped around the gun and their belt. The gun carried IWB of course. If they had to toss the gun they didn't have a telltale holster to deal with. I've tried it on limited occassions and it seems to work pretty well. It's a cheap solution and it keeps the gun from falling down your pants. I'm not advocating this for non-licensed carry. That would be very foolish.
Personally, I think it's a very stupid way to carry. :aargh4:

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Exposed triggers aren't too safe

·
Registered
487 Posts
String ? !

I think you would be better off if you used Super Glue. What do you have to lose,besides a little skin?...............:scruntiny:

·
Administrator
144,127 Posts
Great & worthwhile comments so far in this thread. :slap:

·
Registered
286 Posts
To make sure I get it, is the string wrapped around the grip to create a hanging point?

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
Not a way I would carry any firearm...no reason to do so.:nono::twak:

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I'll second that's a stupid way to carry, very dangerous.....:hand1:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hey, operationally.....you would carry whatever, however if requirements dictated. But in 2010, if you're carrying CCW, there's no reason for Mexican carry or threads down your pants.

Get a quality holster and practice with your firearm.

The technique you cited might have been special in the WWII resistance operations or Cold War era, but not these days.

·
Registered
497 Posts
An Alternate opinion

The string or shoelace 'holster' has indeed been around for a long time. I think I've used it once or twice, but it was just to see how it worked.

In a period spanning forty years, I've carried a gun nearly every day. The type of pistol I've carried most is a Colt Government Model (or Commander or GI surplus M1911a1). One of the commonest methods I've used is the basic Mexican carry. Yup, a cocked and locked 45 Awfulmatic stuffed in my waistband.

I seem to have lost out; I've never had a round go off down my trouser leg. Perhaps it was due to the fact I KNEW I had a loaded pistol in my britches and I had to treat it with some respect and care?

I discussed this with one of the highly trained and very knowledgeable range staff where I work a couple years ago. I thought he was going to need CPR, he was hyperventilating so bad. Obviously, he hadn't learned much on his own. Just what the range staff school taught him. Plus, he didn't really carry much off duty, it was too much bother.

I see a difference in philosophy of technique between people who actually carry guns and those who participate in 'sport shooting'. (If any IPSC shooters are offended by that, I'll try to live with it.) Yes, a pistol is dangerous. It it weren't, it wouldn't be much use.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
To make sure I get it, is the string wrapped around the grip to create a hanging point?
No,you take some string and tie it in a circle,then yorun half under your belt and pull it back thru itself so that it is now attached to your belt with a loop,the free end of the loop you stick your gun barrel thru and slide the gun inside your pants,the loop around the barrel/slide now keeps the gun from sliding any further down in your pants

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
used a rubber band around the butt of my model 36 for years on the job. the gun stayed in placed. worked well, then i found the clip draw belt clip.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm not advocating this for non-licensed carry. That would be very foolish.
I think it's foolish for licensed carry too. In fact, hear in GA a holster is required for any type of carry. I'm sure many other carry states have a similar law and for good reason.

·
Registered
713 Posts
This just sounds like a way to get hurt.:dead: If you want to carry this way ( I dont know why), go ahead. Survival of the fittest I guess. Clean out the Gene pool!!:hand10:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts