Defensive Carry banner

101 - 120 of 362 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
I generally agree with his tweets, but I do wish he did not write the looting/shooting passage.
I have no problem shooting looters.
Come down to my property to burn and loot and I will most vigorously advise you not to.
Trump just letting them know that this crap is going to far for way too long.

·
Premium Member
7,371 Posts
I have no problem shooting looters.
Come down to my property to burn and loot and I will most vigorously advise you not to.
Trump just letting them know that this crap is going to far for way too long.
If looters are actually shot, riots will start in every city. What would happen when images of dead looters are broadcast, especially when the dead looters are black? Do we then start shooting looters in other cities? That's a sure way to ensure that violence increases exponentially.

I'm not a crowd control expert, but I would guess that there are ways to control crowds without resorting to live fire.

People that are more experienced can chime in.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
If looters are actually shot, riots will start in every city. What would happen when images of dead looters are broadcast, especially when the dead looters are black? Do we then start shooting looters in other cities? That's a sure way to ensure that violence increases exponentially.

I'm not a crowd control expert, but I would guess that there are ways to control crowds without resorting to live fire.

You may not be a crowd control expert, but what is your plan if they are coming to knock down your front door?
Shooting looters is not the first response, but if all else fails and total breakdown occurs it is a viable deterrent.
Anarchists do not need a good reason to start trouble. They just sometimes need to be reminded how it will end.

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
When the police have to flee their precinct house because rioters have been allowed to burn it down...that is a complete breakdown in society.

How do you come back from that?

I think it might be a long, hot summer for the cities unless a Mayor with intestinal fortitude steps up. I don't see that happening.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
You may not be a crowd control expert, but what is your plan if they are coming to knock down your front door?
Shooting looters is not the first response, but if all else fails and total breakdown occurs it is a viable deterrent.
Anarchists do not need a good reason to start trouble. They just sometimes need to be reminded how it will end.
It depends on where you're talking about shooting them. Looters/rioters busting down your door or lobbing Molotov cocktails at your house is one thing (completely warranted), the National Guard shooting looters in the street is an entirely different thing altogether. I know very little about crowd control myself, but I have to imagine there are better options than that, rioters attacking a police station excepted.

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
It depends on where you're talking about shooting them. Looters/rioters busting down your door or lobbing Molotov cocktails at your house is one thing (completely warranted), the National Guard shooting looters in the street is an entirely different thing altogether. I know very little about crowd control myself, but I have to imagine there are better options than that, rioters attacking a police station excepted.
Good point with the distinction between personally protecting your shop or home and having the NG open fire on looters.

That would be a big mistake IMO.

·
Super Moderator
18,275 Posts
Oh, I don't know. It's the same looters.

Looters are looters.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
I don't understand why you think it is okay for someone to shoot looters to protect their property, but not okay for the National Guard to do the same thing to protect lives and property.
That is what they are there for. I do believe it will be the tool of last resort. Please do not use the Kent State example, they were unarmed student protesters not rioters and looters wishing to cause mayhem.
What would you think if a guard unit just stood there and did nothing while your place was being burned down.

·
Registered
9,075 Posts

If the looters are in my home, I don't care if their white or black, they could be shot! :yup:

·
Premium Member
7,371 Posts
Protecting my home as a private citizen is different from uniformed state actors protecting businesses. Yes, there are similarities, but a story of a guy having to use force to protect his home will not inflame the public like a story of armed national guard having shot looters looting a Cub foods, especially when coupled with images of dead looters in the foreground and uniformed national guard holding long guns in the background.

To deny this is to deny reality.

·
Premium Member
7,371 Posts
If the looters are in my home, I don't care if their white or black, they could be shot! :yup:
I did not say anything about a private person protecting their home and family. My post, when taken in context, relates to the invoked imagery of national guard shooting looters looting stores.

Big difference.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Protecting my home as a private citizen is different from uniformed state actors protecting businesses. Yes, there are similarities, but a story of a guy having to use force to protect his home will not inflame the public like a story of armed national guard having shot looters looting a Cub foods, especially when coupled with images of dead looters in the foreground and uniformed national guard holding long guns in the background.

To deny this is to deny reality.
So lets just form a perimeter around the neighborhood about a mile or so out and let them do what they please.
We do not want to give them any photo ops or inflame the crowd. I would say after they burn down a police station they are already pretty well inflamed and out of control.
Just let the situation burn itself out sooner or later they will run out of buildings to burn or TV's to steal. Sure that works and will deter the next time it happens.

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
The rioting should have been stopped way before it got to the point of looting and burning the police station down.

This is on the shoulders of the Mayor and other officials that allowed it to get out of hand.

Mayor Guliani dealt with crowds and rioting by stopping it immediately. He cleaned up NYC, but then again, he isn't a Liberal Democrat.

·
Premium Member
7,371 Posts
So lets just form a perimeter around the neighborhood about a mile or so out and let them do what they please.
We do not want to give them any photo ops or inflame the crowd. I would say after they burn down a police station they are already pretty well inflamed and out of control.
Just let the situation burn itself out sooner or later they will run out of buildings to burn or TV's to steal. Sure that works and will deter the next time it happens.
No, of course not, and I did not imply that rioters should be allowed to run free and create mayhem.

There are riot control techniques that can be used - but to use there there must be riot control presence. It appears Minneapolis and the state were caught flat-footed, however.

As for riot control, it's not my wheelhouse, but I'm pretty sure that there are other techniques instead of state actors shooting looters.

Really, what do you think will happen if pictures of dead looters with national guard in the background are televised?
Come on. You'll have riots in every major metropolitan area, and those riots will make Minneapolis look like child's play.

The bottom line was Trump's "looting starts/shooting starts" was an empty threat, and it created a huge distraction that he doesn't need right now.

·
Registered
34,025 Posts
I wonder if these rioters have bothered to attack the source of their complaint. Anyone know of any police stations being looted and burned?

Reactions: SatCong

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
I wonder if these rioters have bothered to attack the source of their complaint. Anyone know of any police stations being looted and burned?
Yes, the precinct station where the police officer worked was burned, gutted from what I've heard. The police were seen driving the patrol cars out to safety around 3:00am.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I remember one of my first training sessions with the shotgun when I was working Security in the mid 80's.
We were taught to skip 00 buck off the pavement to break a rush if a riot threatened to over run us.

That training was done specifically for a contract where we could be called in as backup to a local police department. If our line were threatened, it would most likely be that local LE had already lost control.
That's back when I was young and able. Can't say I miss those days when I see what's been happening the last few years.

·
Registered
361 Posts
And offended we should be! Every time I see someone taking a knee or disrespecting the flag as far as I am concerned they are p***ing on the graves of kin, friends and countrymen that never got to come home.
I just had to throw this in here LOL. Which one taking a knee is more offensive now?

colinkneeling.jpg

101 - 120 of 362 Posts