Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an unrestricted New York State Concealed Carry Permit and will be visiting the City of Albany, NY over the summer and I am wondering if anyone knows if it is legal to carry concealed with this permit in the city. I reviewed the municipal laws online and it appears you need a permit issued by the Police Commissioner to carry in the city. I have been unable to get a response after emailing the Albany PD. I would appreciate any insight. Thank you.

·
Registered
93 Posts
What a bummer... a unrestricted NY permit is NOT permitted in Bloomberg's Domain.

What a President he'd make.....NOT!

God bless,

Larry

·
Registered
185 Posts
Don't see anything about Albany in NYS Penal law. Since they haven't gotten back to you, you could ask local LEO agency if you wanted. But as far as I know it's perfectly legal and have carried in that area.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've never read of any such restriction. I live 30 miles west of Albany and visit the city many times throughout the year, legally armed.
Joe

·
Registered
284 Posts
You're good to go.I live just outside Albany(grew up in the south end,where you NEED a gun)...except NYC your permit is good everywhere,although Albany's mayor is an a-hole when it comes to guns,you can still carry.
BTW,if you're looking for a good place to eat..the Paradiso Ristorante,on Central av......

·
Registered
81 Posts
My wife and I have New York State unrestricted Concealed Carry Permits and we were specifically told by the permit authorities that we can legally carry anywhere except bars, schools, government buildings, New York City and your place of employment unless you are required to carry by your employer.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Jeremiah, the only state law they cited was 265.01 Paragraph 3 of the penal code regarding schools. They said it was against the law to carry into government buildings, but did not cite the state or federal code. As to bars, while not a law, they claimed that your permit will be pulled if your caught carrying in a bar. They are very concerned about firearms and alcohol mixing together. As to employers, while there is no law, they said that unless you are required to carry at work, you must get permission to have a firearm on company property since most companies ban any firearm from company property. They had called my company to find out their policy.

·
Registered
517 Posts
As to bars, while not a law, they claimed that your permit will be pulled if your caught carrying in a bar. They are very concerned about firearms and alcohol mixing together.
If there is no law... how do they intend to do that? Since you are not breaking any laws wouldn't it be your issuing county that decides that, not albany (whatever county that's in)?

·
Registered
185 Posts
You're correct, the issuing judge can revoke it. Not another county's judge.
I really don't think anyone from Albany is going to call a different county to complain about you legally carrying if you're behaving yourself-- or anything happening if they do.

·
Registered
148 Posts
As to bars, while not a law, they claimed that your permit will be pulled if your caught carrying in a bar. They are very concerned about firearms and alcohol mixing together.
They're also concerned about alcohol and driving, but cars aren't banned at bars. I wouldn't carry if I intended to be drinking, but if I'm stopping at a bar to meet someone, and drink soda, I wouldn't expect to be hassled.

As to employers, while there is no law, they said that unless you are required to carry at work, you must get permission to have a firearm on company property since most companies ban any firearm from company property. They had called my company to find out their policy.
This would trouble me. Why are they calling your employer about this? Did they inform your employer that you were applying for a permit? Not sure why they would care about company policy since it is not a law enforcement issue and I don't think it's in their pervue to be informing people that I have a CCW.
As to getting permission, I think that's bogus. Unless you have specifically agreed to a no-firearms policy (and your employment there would be an implicit agreement if it's a stated policy), there should be no reason to ask permission. If you are allowed to be in a place, and firearms aren't forbidden there by law or policy, you should have no reason to reveal you status by asking permission.

As you can tell, it really bothers me when "authorities" spread misinformation about the law. Of course, read my signature, I don't know what I'm talking about ;) I'd welcome some lawyers chiming in on this.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Unrestricted carry

Your pistol permit is a NYS permit which means it is valid throughout the state of NY. Just stay away from NYC as you would need a endorsement from the NYC police department.

·
Registered
81 Posts
They called my place of of employment because my boss was a reference for me on my permit application. He is pro 2nd Amendment. He gave them an excellent reference about me. Since they had him on the phone, they inquired about the company's policy regarding firearms on the premises. As to the bars, we were told that if we got in any trouble with our firearms in a bar, they could report it back to the issueing county and your permit could be revoked if it was felt that you were reckless in any way. I'm not argueing with anyone here. Maybe I should have gone into more detail. I was just telling Jeremiah what we were told.

·
Registered
517 Posts
As to the bars, we were told that if we got in any trouble with our firearms in a bar, they could report it back to the issueing county and your permit could be revoked if it was felt that you were reckless in any way.
That makes total sense now. Being unsafe/stupid while carrying is grounds to have your permit revoked whether you are in a bar or not.

thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
793 Posts
While your permit is good throughout NYS (except NYC of course) it still might not hurt to look up the local Albany laws if you are going anywhere that guns are restricted. Even if you have a permit you can still be barred from certain areas by local laws. For example, it is illegal to carry a gun in a city park in Rochester (or a building owned by the city) even if you have a NYS permit...I'm sure you know this, but cities in NY have the ability pass their own legally binding criminal empowerment zones. Though I don't know that Albany is doing this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I live 5 min. west of albany (schenectady co. unrestricted) and like most have already said, if your permit is unrestricted you are good to go cocked and locked in any city except NYC. Having an "assault rifle" in Albany though would have to be registered with the police chief. As for the bars, there is no such law but use common sense and have a double shot of pepsi instead of JD.

:bier:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts