Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
11,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of us in our local conservative group have started taking a class on the U.S. Constitution. There is a weekly video lecture and a weekly discussion led by a "coach." My wife and I watched the first video last night on the web and both of us thought it was simply outstanding. The lectures are presented by Rick Green, who is an attorney and former member of the Texas House of Representatives. The man is simply an inspired speaker.

The cost for our local course was only $10.00 for each of us for all eight sessions. I assume the cost for the course may be set by the local "coach." We will have our first discussion this Wednesday.

You can learn more about classes of this type at:

·
Premium Member
6,163 Posts
Well done.

Every American should read both the Constitution and the Declaration. Sadly so few do.

·
Registered
42,921 Posts
Years back (way, way back) in a business law class, I read the Constitution front to back for the first time, not in excerpts like in high school. I was amazed at how well written it was and with so much foresight. If only they had used a bit more foresight when writing the amendments.

·
Premium Member
5,135 Posts
Sounds like a well worthwhile endeavor. Should certainly be enlightening about our forefathers and their thinking.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Glad there is another source for accurate education on the US Constitution. Sadly, my children were "taught" complete nonsense by their "professional educators" and were punished when they attempted to ask the "educator" for sources for their misinformation. I've always sent people to Hillsdale College for good, accurate, information on US history and the Constitution.

·
Premium Member
6,163 Posts
Years back (way, way back) in a business law class, I read the Constitution front to back for the first time, not in excerpts like in high school. I was amazed at how well written it was and with so much foresight. If only they had used a bit more foresight when writing the amendments.
I doubt any words would change the behavior and attitudes of the leaders in power. They are without honor.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
My wife had to take classes in both the US and Arizona constitutions for her teacher's certification a few years back. She had me follow along. I told her, don't be surprised if you are very angry by the time that you are done with the classes.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
My wife had to take classes in both the US and Arizona constitutions for her teacher's certification a few years back. She had me follow along. I told her, don't be surprised if you are very angry by the time that you are done with the classes.
Was she angry? Don't leave us hanging man!

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
I've had discussions about the Constitution I've started on why the 3rd Amendment was written. I explained the significance both socially and economically then I moved on to the 4th, and then the rest with the 2nd discussed last. By that time they understood the why of the 2nd.

I agree with @OldVet , the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence are very well written.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
If you learned how the Constitution was supposed to work, and then took a look at what's actually going on, would you be angry?
Don't know, which is why I asked. Too many people aren't.........

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
I get it but what does this accomplish? If one side is clearly not willing to look at it as the authoritative document on our government, what good does a class on it do? And honestly, what good does the document do in and of itself if nobody follows it and nobody cares?

·
Registered
11,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I get it but what does this accomplish? If one side is clearly not willing to look at it as the authoritative document on our government, what good does a class on it do? And honestly, what good does the document do in and of itself if nobody follows it and nobody cares?
You appear to have already given up. I choose not to. Yes, I think the situation is serious, but I am not done fighting yet.

Reactions: Nmuskier

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
You appear to have already given up. I choose not to. Yes, I think the situation is serious, but I am not done fighting yet.
Not sure who exactly said it, but it was something like "don't fight the battle that your enemy expects you to fight on the ground that they have picked out for the fight". Remember the lesson of Pickett's charge.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Its not about giving up. We just need to change tactics. Shouting at a bunch of people that a piece of paper says that they need to follow it's rules has gotten us a country in severe decline. We need to change how were doing things.

·
Registered
11,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its not about giving up. We just need to change tactics. Shouting at a bunch of people that a piece of paper says that they need to follow it's rules has gotten us a country in severe decline. We need to change how were doing things.
What do you propose?

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
What do you propose?
Well, first off, stop apologizing and trying to "compromise". Stop complaining about civility in politics. Politics isn't supposed to be civil and nice. Because politics is the way to get things done short of going to war. The other side seems to understand this, and even at that, they seem to have far less problem playing "chicken". Use their own tactics against them, even if it means that one has to give up one's right to feel morally superior.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I was amazed at how well written it was and with so much foresight. If only they had used a bit more foresight when writing the amendments.
Such as:

Replace: "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

with: "...the right of each and every individual U.S. citizen, regardless of location or whereabouts, to keep (own and/or possess) and bear (carry, regardless of the mode of carry), shall not under any circumstances or reason whatsoever bar none be infringed by any member or body of any local, county, state or federal government throughout these United States of America."

I think that's what they meant, but they were writing to a sane and rational audience.

The antis are neither sane nor rational.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts