Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cleaned my M&P with CLP and M Pro 7. Didn't notice anything unusual. A few days later received my COM in-car gun safe. Went on a trip so put the gun in this safe and put it in suitcase. When I got to my hotel and opened the suitcase the smell of solvent (I think it was solvent) could have knocked me down. All the clothes smelled too. I opened the gun safe and the foam inside wreaked of this smell.

Has anybody ever had this same problem using one of these types of portable gun safes?

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
No. Never used one personally. Some solvents might break down some foams. If something (chemical) starts to dissolve a material to any extent, there's usually some sort of gas let off after or during the reaction. This may be the smell you are talking about.

·
Registered
703 Posts
My COM had an awful, chemical/solvent smell to the foam before I ever used it. I aired it out for days outside before I could stand it. I can still smell it when I open it, but it is bearable now. I'm not sure the cleaning chemicals that caused the odor you report.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Just use Gunzilla and you won't have these problems.

·
Banned
86 Posts
If this is the black metal portable pistol case with a three number combination, small opening knob and black foam on the inside and a cable teather. I bought two and they both smell bad. I don't know what it is but the foam is impregnated with something nasty that can only be lessened by airing out the foam. Whatever you do, don't put anything but the pistol or a magazine in the case. If you put any leather item into it you won't get the smell off the leather for days.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Possibly formaldehyde impregnated foam? It is not uncommon. Especially if it originates from China.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Well road tar smell tells me it's the resins in the foam. I deal with this stuff a bit. I can't explain the moth ball part though.

Incidently, the "new car" smell everyone loves is due in part to formaldehyde in the foam seat cushions and cloth seat covering material. Never knew that until I took an auto assemble plant tour...

Best!

Craig

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
Buy some good foam and replace the 'smelly' stuff...you may never find the source, but you can solve the problem.:image035:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update for all of you

My COM in-car gun safe had a very strange and strong odor. So much so that if you put it in your suitcase the clothes would smell from it. Someone suggested it came in the foam. I wrote to COM and today received replacement foam. Sure enough, it smells too.

Don't know if anybody else has this problem but if you do now you know why. Guess I will look for foam someplace and cut to size.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts