Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for the cleanest burning powder for 9mm loads for my (gas operated) H&K P7.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I'm looking for the cleanest burning powder for 9mm loads for my (gas operated) H&K P7.

Any suggestions?
One of the ball powders. I have no experience with the P7, but I imagine any of them recommended for the 9mm will do - possible HS-6 and WW231.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I am amazed at the results I have gotten from Red Dot and 115 gr. FMJ bullets. Very clean burning, low flash, soft shooting and what I really like is that it fills the case to within 1/4" from the case mouth. I'm loading 4.0gr. OAL 1.25". Recipe goes all the way up to 4.7 gr. but I don't think that much will fit in the case; I haven't tried it!

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I use WSF in my P7.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Alliant E3 bills itself as the cleanest burning powder. In the little I've tried, it is, and has soft recoil too (about like titegroup, but lots cleaner) but I had trouble getting it to meter in my Hornady and had to give up on it.

The Vihtavuori powders (like N320) are all very clean burning too, but expensive and hard to find. VV N320 is my choice in .40 when it can be found (which isn't often lately). It burns a lot cooler than titegroup too, which probably is a plus in a P7 -- I know how hot they get, I have two.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I use Ramshot Zip for all my handgun reloading. Burns clean and meters well and the price is right! This is the powder that Black Hills ammo uses in their reloads.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
AA2; it is one of the fastest burning, cleanest and easiest measuring powders around, and I use 4.5 grains over a 115 grain bullet in my .38 super for IDPA matches.....

·
Registered
729 Posts
I just developed a new load for my P7s using Green Dot. 4.8 grns GD using a Montana Gold 124jhp. My P7s loved it and afterwards they were no dirtier than if I had run factory ammo thru them. First time I had used GD and I'm pretty impressed. There are tons of good 9mm powder out there, some clean, some dirty and some filthy. Al lot depends on your gun and your reloading. DOn't be afraid to experiment and FWIW most 9mms like powder that burns really hot. If you look at a chart showing powder burn rates, most popular 9mm powders are up in the top 10 to twenty.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I also like AA #2 for 9mm, as well as #5. I also use 700X with good, clean results. Many will recommend Unique for almost all pistol loads. I find that AA #5 works in everything from 9mm to .44 mag with very accurate, clean loads (and measures easily and consistently). Frankly, I don't know why the AA powders don't get more respect.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
While I prefer Unique for most of my handguns there is only one powder that can lay claim to being the "cleanest" burning of all. That being PB--if you can find it.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Like coffeecup,

I also use Unique. It is easy to find, seems to burn clean, and is a good all-around powder. I use it for re-loading 20 ga skeet rounds, .40S&W, .38SPL, & .357.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
titegroup is somewhat clean. i am now using aa5, it is not. but makes good loads.

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
The propellant AA#5 [See Annotation #1] has been identified in a disproportionate number of kB!s, not only in Glocks but USP40s with barrels which do provide full case support. A number of Glock-L members have reported kB!s involving this propellant. It is not clear whether these kB!s are the fault of the propellant or the reloader, but it is clear that they are occurring in disproportionate numbers. As early as Fall '92 a source inside Glock, Inc. told Speir on background: "A lot of the blown up Models 22 and 23 we've been seeing has involved Accurate Arms #5… and damned if we know why."

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
The [URL="The propellant AA#5 [See Annotation #1] has been identified in a disproportionate number of kB!s, not only in Glocks but USP40s with barrels which do provide full case support.
This is the ultimate cause. Guns with barrels that fully enclose the case head do not have this problem.

I won't own any semi-auto that doesn't fully enclose the case head.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
The propellant AA#5 [See Annotation #1] has been identified in a disproportionate number of kB!s, not only in Glocks but USP40s with barrels which do provide full case support. A number of Glock-L members have reported kB!s involving this propellant. It is not clear whether these kB!s are the fault of the propellant or the reloader, but it is clear that they are occurring in disproportionate numbers. As early as Fall '92 a source inside Glock, Inc. told Speir on background: "A lot of the blown up Models 22 and 23 we've been seeing has involved Accurate Arms #5… and damned if we know why."
first time that i have head this about aa5 powder. but anyway i use after market barrels when i shoot reloads and cast lead in my glocks. no matter the cal, 9mm, 40, and 45, they all get the kkm barrel treatment. the glock factory barrel are not good for reloads/cast lead.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts