Defensive Carry banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newb, I had one handgun until yesterday and I just purchased a second. I dont know how to clean my gun. I am capable of reading directions relative to the disassembly, and I'm very mechanical. The issue is, I dont know what they mean when they use terms like, "too much", "a little", "some", "liberally", etc.

I have no idea what my gun is supposed to be like in specific areas when it comes to lube and cleaner.

I dont want to sacrifice these with poor habits (or worse when I need them the most to fail). Is there a good resource for how to clean/lube properly?

Also, when I go to the store to buy cleaning supplies, there are only a couple thousand different types of cleaners, brushes, wipes, oil, etc.

help!

thanks

·
Registered
314 Posts
For cleaning, I really like hickok45 video on youtube, "Glock Cleaning Basics." I've provided the link below.

Glock Cleaning Basics - YouTube

Whether you have a Glock or not, I think the basics he mentions transcend gun manufacturer. Unless you have a 1911, which case ignore his advice. BTW, you should prolly mention what kind of gun you have. Per hickok45, I use Ballistol and love it. I clean my Beretta Nano just as he cleans this Glock.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Everyone has favorite techniques. I learned a lot of them on youtube and have tried to duplicate hickock45 methods. He is much more knowing than I. There are also many model specific videos there.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I had an M&P .40c up until very recently. I used Gunzilla on mine, never anything else. I'd clean everything thoroughly, then leave a film of Gunzilla on parts that wear. Coating the outside of the barrel, the rails that the slide, well, slides on. As for the little internal mechanisms for the trigger, I'd soak a q-tip in gunzilla and wipe them down well, just making sure some worked its way in between parts. I put several thousand rounds through mine and never had a problem, and it never showed excessive wear.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
guns are not suppose to be clean. Shoot them until they are dirty then ship them to me.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
But then you would have to explain why you have all those guns in your house. Mine were lost in a terrible boating accident.

guns are not suppose to be clean. Shoot them until they are dirty then ship them to me.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
M&P Pistol Manual

From the 'Lubrication' section said:
There are seven (7) lubrication points where a single drop of high-quality firearms lubricant should be applied. This will ensure proper lubrication. Care should be taken not to over-lubricate. Excess lubricant can collect quantities of unburned powder and carbon residue, which could interfere with proper functioning of the pistol.
Some other guns tend to prefer to run a bit wetter than that, but apparently the M&P isn't one.

Here is a Youtube video for the basics: How To Clean And Lubricate A Smith & Wesson M&P Pistol.

·
Registered
45,318 Posts
The issue is, I dont know what they mean when they use terms like, "too much", "a little", "some", "liberally", etc.
Neither does anyone else. My basic premise is if it runs out, oozes out, seeps out, it's too much. Whatever amount does that is wasted and only good for collecting gunk.

As far as what products to use, guns don't read advertisements or buy products; gun owners do. Guns just need to be clean and lubed. I've tried the high end products and haven't found them to be any, or at least significantly, better than a bottle of Hoppes #9 for cleaning and a $3 can of 3-in-1 oil for lubing. Some folks will go gaga over the latest and greatest miracle $12/oz gun product, but I just don't see it.

Scrub it clean and lube it sificiantly with the products of your choice. Nearly all will perform well with "routine" maintenance. The only one I'd steer clear of is WD-40. It's the only product that ever failed to perform and cause damage.

Reactions: Portcullis

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
There are probably several youtube videos showing cleaning an M&P.

It does not require very much grease because it hangs around longer than just gun oil, but grease works better on the sliding parts.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Good advice above ^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

However, just take a shower with it (unloaded).

Also, Welcome here to the Forum! There are no dumb questions here. Only dumb people who won't ask questions when they need to. You appear to be smart :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts