Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cheapo cleaning kit I bought at Wallymart shortly after I picked up my XD. It's good enough for right now, but I'd like to pick up something a little nicer that has a case and the whole shibang. I've seen some kits from just about every company and the prices are all pretty standard stuff. I don't mind spending a little money to get something decent knowing that it will protect my investments in my guns.

So, out of curiosity, I was wondering what everyione here was using for their firearms as far as cleaning goes. Do you use a "kit" deal with everything that came included or are you using seperate products from a few different companies? The kit I have now has a piece-of-crap holder that everything falls out of. What are is everyone using to hold everything together?

Any and all opinions are welcome and appreciated! :danceban:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Not sure about a case of stuff - all my gear is from allsorts of directions! Much lives spread around bench!! I do have a small ''free gift'' deal in truck from North American Hunter, sorta wrap-up pouch deal - bit basic but does mean I have enough when out in the field.

Still a #9 user to which I add very occasional bore scrubber - and also use leadaway cloth on stainless revo's. I favor Parker Hale cleaning rods for all guns - better fittings.

I have seen kits at Gander and elsewhere but they never appealed to me as having what I wanted, or good enough quality. Other folks may have some suggestions.

Wonder what rfurtkamp and Class3 sell as kits.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
i got a little bit of everything for the gear

For chem's i use outer foaming bore cleaner
hoppes #9 mixed 50/50 with kroil

blue wonder

slip 2000
slip carbon cutter

then good old walmart brake cleaner

·
Registered
70 Posts
For my workbench

Have alittle bit of everything, rely mainly on Hoppes #9 , Some Kleen Bore nore scrubber, pretty much a collection of 15 or 20 kits bought over the years all kept in a tackle box.

If I was looking to buy an all in one kit for all calibers I think I would look into Kleen Bores Tactical Cleaning Kit ( pretty much covers everything in one package)

For carrying in the car & to the range I have an Otis Tactical ( this makes it invisible) kit. Alot of good stuff in a small package . between this & my Caspian Leatherman I can pretty much clean or repair anything that goes wrong at the range.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I've got Outter's rods for all my calibers/gauges and a few pistol rods I picked up at the gun shows (rods with the fixed ring "handle" on one end and jag eye on the other). Bronze bore brushes and wire/nylon scrubbers get replaced as needed.

I use shotgun patches for most of my cleaning now - less to buy and keep track of and easily adjustable for different calibers by how far you pull it through the jag's eye. Mostly Hoppe's No. 9 solvent and have been using Militec-1 as primary lube for the last few years ... good stuff! Pistol rails get cheap GI slide grease ( $0.50 for a sugar cube sized vial at the gunshow). Everything gets stored in a .30 cal. ammo can in the closet ($5 at the gunshow).

I also keep a small "Kit 'n Kaboodle" kit in my range bag or on my belt when in the field (~ $40 @ Cabelas). 4" diameter balistic nylon zipper kit with jags, steel cable "rods", patches and fluids - highly recommend it for a go anywhere kit.
Jack

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
I use Otis cleaning kit, as well as outers rods and assorted patches, brushes ect. Hoppes #9 . All of it is stored in a big fishing tackle box , along with small screws and other items gun related.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
I have a huge Plano tackle box that all my firearms maintenance stuff is in. It has a clear top section and opens into a larger bottom area.

It holds all my gunsmithing tools, cleaning equipment and spare parts, ie. springs, grips, etc.

All of my cleaning gear has been pieced together over the years.

Tho I can't find the exact box that I have, the one in the pic below is simular. Mine measures 17"X11"X8".

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I store my kit in a tool box i got a Wal-Mart for under $10.00.
+1 for Hoppe's #9. Everything is else is from all around.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info guys! I'm going to order some stuff next week since I'm just about out of my patches and cleaner.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Older I get - more I turn into my Mentors & Elders.
Learning all sorts of stuff about this "work harder not smarter" they kept speaking of.

-Hey, I can go shoot a gun a gunsmith just built/ repaired while he cleans my gun(s). I get a clean guns back, he gets dirty ones in return.

-Been instructing a lady on shotgunning, smart as a whip...
"so actually me cleaning the shotgun you used , and mine has nothing to do with me learning about inspection and maintanence, just allows you to sip coffee and steal brownies from my kitchen". Like I said - smart lady.

-Yes I have my "druthers" when it comes to equipment. My contention has always been [learned from Mentors & Elders and observations] most folks do NOT take care of what needs taking care, spend too much on what really does not, and the improper use of whatever they choose to use. These "methods" result in more harm to firearms, than firearms being shot.

- I pass forward as passed to me. This is the way it is supposed to work. So my Mentors & Elders had those grins for reasons...
I noticed my lady student was letting a teenager clean a firearm of hers under supervision, sipping on a soda, munching on a candy bar with one hand, pointing out stuff with the free one.

Like I said - smart lady, caught on fast. *smirk*

Never the tool - intent of user of said tool.

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
753 Posts
Hoppes #9 .. if it ain't fixed, don't break it

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have an accumulation of stuff that I use to clean my handguns. I prefer the polymer bore rods as they just don't scratch my guns. As to a solvent, I have used Eezox for the last few years and IMHO it just cannot be beat. It cleans, lubes, prevents rust and finger printing, and is dry to the touch - hence no oily accumulation of stuff to catch dust and other stuff. For me it is a great product and I use it on all my guns. http://www.eezox.com/

·
Registered
122 Posts
Breakfree CLP and an Otis kit like this

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Rem-Oil, Q-Tips, 9mm boresnake, AR cleaning brush is what I use on my GLOCK 26. All I need to keep my gun cleaner than the day I bought it.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ended up picking up a Hoppes #9 cleaning kit, a package of 500 cleaning patches, a can of Blue Wonder Armadillo, and a Plano see-through blue-top tackle box to fit everything in.

I'm going to clean all my firearms tonight and see how everything works. I'm curious to see how the Armadillo works on the exterior of my XD... :banana:

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Woody said:
Breakfree CLP and an Otis kit like this

Looks like Otis has updated their kit quite a bit since I bought mine several years ago. I had to add my own bore light and it didn't come with any brushes. I might have to update mine now that I've seen what they're currently selling.
Jack

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
hoppes #9 for the work. A cheap can of automotive brake cleaner to wash it all off. CLP to oil her. And she gets a dose of Flitz metal polish.
thats all she/they need.... Arthur

1 - 18 of 18 Posts