Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you using ?? Im trying mpro 7 again and slip 2000 725 gun cleaner and degreaser...

Outers foaming bore cleaner and Mobile one for oil and then brian enos slide glide for grease....

Normaly i wont buy a blued buy but as you all know ive been on the Colt revolver kick lately 6 of um to day and some are blued..

Since i cant use a polishing cloth to clean cylinder face what are your fav cleaners for this ??

Alos a good one i use for general cleaning is hoppes #9 mixed with Kroil ...

Heard Ed's red is a good home brew havnt mixed it up yet though

So what are you using or homebrews..

·
Registered
615 Posts
Bud WHite....I sold my Colt SAA but still have my Colt Frontier Scout and plink it occasionally, but for both of them I used Hoppes solvent for general cleaning with a toothbrush for the cylinder and opposing faces on the frame. Followed up with a lightly oiled cotton rag to wipe over the entire blued areas. I bought my Frontier Scout in 1964, still has original blueing, and with minor rubbed areas from holstering. Never had any rust or corrosion problems, the Hoppes and oil do just fine. As far as autos go, I use the #9 for all areas, and, as recommeded by Kimber, use Shooter's Choice FP-10 to lubricate with. I used to use the "slide grease" stuff on the Beretta but have since quit using it. Seems too thick to me. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
I'm simple. Hoppes #9 for cleaning. Rem Oil for lube. :smile:

-Scott-

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
I'm also use Hoppes #9 for cleaning and a number of different oils, mostly Hoppes. I just heard the thing about using Mobil 1 and thought that might be worth a try.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive used mobile one for a long time and even are 100k rounds my guns are still running strong ...lol

FP-10 is good and mobile one is about the same stuff i go though a ton of stuff thinking on trying the ed's red as most of the guys say the just take grips off and dunk whole gun for wheelies and they clean up easy ,,

Also blue wonder works good but i cant find it locally any more

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
Hoppes #9 and Rem lube or CLP breakfree.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Breakfree CLP and Wilsons Gun Grease for my autos where the frame and slide meet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Like many others here and elsewhere, I too am a fan of good ole Hoppe's #9. Has yet to fail me in any cleaning task. Maybe on tough buildup, or harder to get at spots, i'll throw in a brass brush, thats it. worked for my dad for MANY years, works for me. And its cheap (like me :)) I'm certainly not knocking anything else, I have (and sometimes still do) use Gunscrubber on certain guns/spots for ease/speed, and I really want to try Ed's Red as SO many people speak so highly of it (and it would be even cheaper than Hoppe's :)). As for lube, I am perfectlly satisfied with my results from plain ol Hoppes lube oil, although, I have bought some Rem Oil to try out based on the reviews I have read, and have used and use still use Hoppe's Dri-Lube aerosol for certain guns/areas.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Hoppes for most regular cleaning - but do have on hand other stuff for occasional use. Bore paste, copper solvent etc - don't get used much tho. I swear by Lewis lead remover but that ain't a liquid of course! That would be ''Shooters Choice'' lead remover - not IMO very effective tho.

Leadaway cloth for cyl rings on stainless guns.

Lube mainly Militech1 for slide rails now - was using Tetra Grease, RIG etc but too thick. Mobil 1 as general lube oil and Rem Oil - still have some left.

External products - to protect blued guns - RIG wipe over, CLP wipe over or - been playing with Boeshield too as a protective - potentially good stuff.

IMO with lubing - less is more.!

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Hoppes/CLP for cleaning and Militec-1 for lube.

Ti.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I started out using #9, then went to #9 Barrel Scrubber, and have end up with Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber. I like the fact that The gun scrubber dose not leave a residue. The Barrel scrubber states it leaves no residue, but I think is dose.

I top it all off with a dry lube like Birchwood Casey Moly Lube.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
pass on the gun scrubber and get non cholrenated(sp) brake cleaner same stuff about 4$ price differance

·
Super Moderator
18,099 Posts
Ive used it all.

I recently mixed up a batch of Ed's Red and it seems to work as well as anything out there.

I mixed up a gallon for around 10 bucks. The price is hard to beat...

·
Registered
862 Posts
Handguns are easy. Hopps #9, Break cleaner, clp, mobile 1, Breakfree foam if needed.

Rifles: Butches Bore Shine or Shooters Choice with Sweets 7.62, if things are bad I break out the JB Bore Paste and Kroil. CLP as lube, and Break Cleaner as degreaser. Not to forget the cleaning cradle, bore guide, and Dewey single piece cleaning rod.

I order alot of my hard to find products from here
http://www.sinclairintl.com/index.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts