Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gosh, after viewing a couple of YouTubes over the weekend it surely made me a true believer in the AK Platform. Maybe if you developed a routine and your well seasoned at it then it may not be as bad. My concern would be all the small pins and springs that could easily be lost. You'd have to have a parts bag (if sold) at your side. :aargh4:

Am I exaggerating?

·
Registered
327 Posts
24 boots standing around a single 15 foot long table all cleaning their M16s after an afternoon at the range, two DIs and an armorer eyeballing their every move, and nobody ever lost a single cotter pin.

Me, in my own home by myself with no time pressure; no problem :)

Everyone you meet knows something you don't.
- H. Jackson Brown

·
Super Moderator
18,019 Posts
I just keep a small bowl handy to drop small parts in.

Reactions: Old Man

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, the reliability issue that crops up on the internet, is their truth to that or again, exaggerated?

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
Also, the reliability issue that crops up on the internet, is their truth to that or again, exaggerated?
Exaggerated. I own both platforms. AK47s, and AR15s.

As re being worried about cleaning an AR15, either get over it, or buy an AK. But, its no big deal on an AR15. I have never lost an AR15 part.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Takes me less than 10 minutes to clean & lube an AR after a day at the range... half that if I'm in a hurry.
I've dropped a firing pin on the floor once or twice, but I've never lost any parts.

Supplies: A boresnake, some cotton swabs, a gas tube brush, a wire brush, some Slip2000 EWL and EWG, a soft, dry cloth and a relatively flat surface.

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
What springs go missing? Everything is contained , during builds maybe a rear detent pin might take flight occasionally.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Exaggerated, as is the awesome reliability of the AK......spent time on AK ranges on several continents, recently the Ukraine in the fall of 2015. I've seen quite a few AK malfunctions, like any weapon it's not infallible, maintenance is required and parts do wear out.

Once you get over the idea that an AR has to be spotless and learn how to lube it properly, it's relatively easy to clean and maintain. I've never managed to lose a piece either, get one of the little magnetic bowls from the auto-parts store......

Chuck

·
Registered
3,448 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think you've been misled. The AR-15 does not need to be cleaned often. As long as it is well lubed, it will keep running. And as others have mentioned, cleaning is actually pretty simple. I clean mine every few months. I typically do the barrel, the chamber (best I can), the BCG, and spray some hornady one shot in the lower around the trigger and call it good. The only parts you could lose are the smaller parts of the BCG, but that's what a tray or bowl is for. Of course I lube it well before reassembly.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a gas piston driven AR. Never cleaned it until the winter storage period. After I clean the gas block area and chamber with a bore brush. A CLP soaked patch is run thru the barrel. Stored in a gun case with a packet of desiccant. And out comes my .308 and .270 for the winter hunt.

·
Registered
20,077 Posts
What springs go missing? Everything is contained , during builds maybe a rear detent pin might take flight occasionally.
The extractor spring, I think.

·
Registered
20,077 Posts
I used one professionally for 8 years, and am hear to tell you that the gun doesn't need to be meticulously cleaned to operate reliably.
Brush the bore, chamber, seperate the bolt from the carrier, brush with a clp, wipe down, put a light film of lube on it, and put it back together.
Takes maybe 10 minutes.

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
My S&W AR-15 has been dead nuts reliable. Not a single FTF or FTE - ever.

As far as cleaning - HAHA an AK is like 3 big parts when you field strip it - so I agree - much "simpler" weapon to maintain. Thats one of its main features honestly...a weapon for peasants and conscripts - not professional soldiers (at least originally).

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
My gosh, after viewing a couple of YouTubes over the weekend it surely made me a true believer in the AK Platform. Maybe if you developed a routine and your well seasoned at it then it may not be as bad. My concern would be all the small pins and springs that could easily be lost. You'd have to have a parts bag (if sold) at your side. :aargh4:

Am I exaggerating?
Why would you be dealing with a bunch of springs and pins when cleaning an AR? :confused:

Push the rear takedown pin out, pull the BCG out the back of the upper, wipe it down, run a snake through the barrel, and put it back together.

Reactions: Old Man and gen3

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Why would you be dealing with a bunch of springs and pins when cleaning an AR? :confused:

Push the rear takedown pin out, pull the BCG out the back of the upper, wipe it down, run a snake through the barrel, and put it back together.
I saw a Youtube video over the weekend. I think the video was like 15 minutes long and the fellow probably did a detailed complete strip and clean and he probably went above and beyond what most folks would do judging by the replies on this thread.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
I saw a Youtube video over the weekend. I think the video was like 15 minutes long and the fellow probably did a detailed complete strip and clean and he probably went above and beyond what most folks would do judging by the replies on this thread.
Gotcha. Yeah there is no need to take everything apart when cleaning it.

Reactions: Rhodie2

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
Way too many exaggerations out there for both the AR and the AK. Both are good weapons when cleaned properly.
The AK may have an advantage of loose tolerances that allow it to be fired really dirty. That's it in a nutshell.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts