Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just use CLP, a toothbrush and a rod with some patches and maybe a soft brush. I dont shoot all that much.

What do you guys use to clean your weapon?

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Bore snakes, Hoppes 9, or a CPL, Tooth brush and compressed air to blow all off. Your method sounds fine.

·
Super Moderator
18,789 Posts
I enjoy knowing firearms are always put away clean. Hoppe's No. 9 used with patches and bronze bore brushes, toothbrushes and other small brushes is mostly used here.

There's a great sub-forum here full of stuff about gun cleaning. Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance

In fact, we'll just meet over there for further discussion.

Reactions: RolandD

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
Froglube, brass and nylon brushes and bore brushes , patches.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I mostly use CLP or G96 to clean and lube. I have also been known to use Ballistol as well. I use a wooden dowel rod to clean the inside of the barrel.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Scrub off the worst gunk, then leave it in kerosene overnight. Re-assemble and you're done :)

That's how I used to clean my .22 when I was competing. I did this once a year and that was all the cleaning it really needed. And I shot a LOT.

I probably wouldn't do this to all my guns, but you didn't say what kind of guns you want to clean...

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I use the Hoppe's No. 9 kit and a toothbrush. I love the smell of Hoppe's!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its a Taurus PT111 G2. I was wary of the brass brush that came in the cheap kit I bought, it wont scratch up the inside of the barrel?

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
Brass is much softer metal that steel in your barrel. The shaft of your brush may be a bit harder if made of metal. Just be careful as you clean and you should not have any scratches.

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brass is much softer metal that steel in your barrel. The shaft of your brush may be a bit harder if made of metal. Just be careful as you clean and you should not have any scratches.
That makes sense! spray CLP in the barrel then send the brass brush thru it?

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
That makes sense! spray CLP in the barrel then send the brass brush thru it?
Yes, most people dip the brush in solvent or cleaner before scrubbing the bore. Always ( if possible ) start from the chamber and push all the way through before reversing direction and pulling the brush back.

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
472 Posts
Ballistol....smell is tolerable, even nice.. like licorice. it is all natural and is a cleaner and lubricant. have to let the ballistol sit in the barrel and bit (a few minutes) clean as you would normally. than I wipe down the whole gun with a cloth with some ballistol on it before it goes in the safe.. you can use CLP in conjunction if something is really dirty but I have not had the need.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I like to use Hoppes #9 in my barrels. I just dip the brass bore brush right in the bottle and tap off the excess. Once that is swabbed out I finish with a light patch of CLP or something like that. I finally bought a spray can of Ballistol last weekend. I'll give that a try after my next range trip.

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
trying out ramrodzs and a couple of cleaners ..for basic cleaning the rods seem to be doing ok and are easy for me then patch which for some stupid reason I still have issues with

1 - 20 of 51 Posts