Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrote this to our chief of police last night and this morning got an email from him thanking me and saying they would spread the information very soon. A lot of older people in our community have been scammed and had their identity stolen to the tune of thousands of dollars. You don't have to be old to fall for this stuff, though. :::

This may not be brand new, but is something people need to be warned about. This afternoon I received a phone call from "Amazon fraud division." It was an automated message which is a big clue, but it specified that an iPhone had been ordered on my account, to be shipped from California. The big thing about this one is that it gave you an 800 phone number to call if you did not order this item, and specified that if you did order it you need do nothing. This makes it sound legitimate to people who do not understand how these phishing scammers work.

In addition to not making sense because it was a recording -- It only takes a moment to log into your Amazon account to see that this phone call had nothing at all to do with the activity on your account!

I am sure that anyone who does call that 800 number will be asked for private information and because the person "initiated" the call and it was answered by a person posing as Amazon fraud division, a person could be easily duped.

Sharing this to hopefully prevent more people from have their identity stolen.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
I got a call once from the IRS threatening to have me arrested if I didn't call them immediately about some money they claimed I owed the government. But the callerID said the call originated in Canada. I doubt the IRS has any Canadian offices.

·
Super Moderator
16,157 Posts
I got a call once from the IRS threatening to have me arrested if I didn't call them immediately about some money they claimed I owed the government. But the callerID said the call originated in Canada. I doubt the IRS has any Canadian offices.
I have got calls like that and ones saying I would be arrested for failing to show for jury duty but if I paid with my credit card the arrest order would be rescinded, still waiting for them to show up.

·
Premium Member
4,357 Posts
I got that same call. Told them to come heavy. :image035:

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
@ShooterGranny;
Thank you for the heads up!

How to possibly stop scammers? Here’s what is working for me!

FARADAY BAG! NO MORE SCAM CALLS?! Seriously, since the Chinese virus mess when CWO is at work is the ONLY time I keep my phone out of the faraday bag. Now he is usually working from home, so other than a few hours in the morning my phone stayed in the bag. NO MORE CALLS! I did’t know this would happen but it has - this is great!

When the phone is taken out of the bag you will still have voice mail and calls come up that your family/friends have left you but I can say since doing this (over a week) I have not had ONE scam call!

Went to quest labs few days ago, was also great to know that there was no way of anyone tracing me going anywhere with this faraday bag. Honestly comforting.

You can still get them for under $10 on eBay and amazon, we got several and larger one’s for our computers - they are selling fast, second order the prices had jumped up a few dollars, folks are possibly catching on?

Don’t say nobody told you 😉

·
Registered
33,986 Posts
They don't? Uh-oh...

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I have a number of "answers" for scam callers and telemarketers. For scam callers, answer the phone like this. "Coopertown [use whatever town comes to mind] Police Department, can I help you"? Or answer the call and let them start their spiel while sounding interested and/or fearful. Then say, "Well I work for the FBI so I can look into this myself."

For telemarketers, answer as though you are severely retarded. Or do this. "Dead. They're all dead. I killed them all. And I'm going to kill more." If the police are summoned to your home, just tell them, "Whaa? I have an insect infestation problem."

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
864 Posts
I don't waste any time on calls. If I don't know them, I don't answer and they can leave a message. The very few that do leave a message, I can usually tell immediately if it's a scam. I spend more time call blocking than answering phone calls. My time is my own and I guard it jealously. It's just like people who ring the doorbell. I have it posted on the front door for no soliciting, no trespassing and no politics, yet the doorbell still rings.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
It was an automated message which is a big clue, . . .
Not really. I sometimes get automated calls from the bank for one of my credit cards about potential fraud. There is 'logic' to determine if a purchase is 'out of normal' for my account. E.g. large purchase, purchase in a different state, etc. The automated call will take me through the last five purchases to confirm whether I made them or not. All of this happens w/o a human on the bank side having to be involved.

What you describe is certainly an innovative social engineering threat that I've never seen before. If these miscreants would spend 1/2 the time they spend on criminal activities towards productive endeavors they'd probably be more successful

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
The last couple of IOS system upgrades to the iPHone has a feature to allow only calls from people in your contact list to actually ring. All other calls go straight to voicemail.

I had a call once from the Treasury Department wanting me to call them about some money they owed me. A few days later I got a call from the IRS saying I owed them money. I told the IRS caller to get in touch with the Treasury Department and they could have the money I was owed from them. The IRS caller didn't like that idea.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,708 Posts
They don't? Uh-oh...
OV, You probably thought they said "Canadian Club," not Canadian offices!

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
I wrote this to our chief of police last night and this morning got an email from him thanking me and saying they would spread the information very soon. A lot of older people in our community have been scammed and had their identity stolen to the tune of thousands of dollars. You don't have to be old to fall for this stuff, though. :::

This may not be brand new, but is something people need to be warned about. This afternoon I received a phone call from "Amazon fraud division." It was an automated message which is a big clue, but it specified that an iPhone had been ordered on my account, to be shipped from California. The big thing about this one is that it gave you an 800 phone number to call if you did not order this item, and specified that if you did order it you need do nothing. This makes it sound legitimate to people who do not understand how these phishing scammers work.

In addition to not making sense because it was a recording -- It only takes a moment to log into your Amazon account to see that this phone call had nothing at all to do with the activity on your account!

I am sure that anyone who does call that 800 number will be asked for private information and because the person "initiated" the call and it was answered by a person posing as Amazon fraud division, a person could be easily duped.

Sharing this to hopefully prevent more people from have their identity stolen.

I just wanted to share what I saw on a youtube show about how the scam works because it sounds normal. The scammer will ask you for your username. They type it in on the Amazon webpage and click forgotten password. They will say they are sending you a one time passcode. Actually, Amazon is sending you the one time passcode. They enter the code, and change your password. Not only to they lock you out of your account, they use your account and defraud you.

So, unless you call Amazon on your own accord, do not give anyone your username.

·
Premium Member
7,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just wanted to share what I saw on a youtube show about how the scam works because it sounds normal.

So, unless you call Amazon on your own accord, do not give anyone your username.
The email I received back from our police chief said "those scammers are getting smarter every week." It is a real shame that people on the receiving end of those phishing/scams are not getting smarter also!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Caller: This is Charlet (male voice) from da IRS fraud department. yada yada yada.
Me: Oh, no! What do I need . . . AAHHH!!!! I need to put you on hold a minute. ["accidently" hit the call button twice to put them off hold. Wait about 10 seconds.] (a few feet away) Hey boss. Sorry to bother you at home, but I got a live one on the line. Yes sir, an IRS scammer. Ha ha ha! That's right, me. Go ahead and get the ball rolling at HQ. Tap and trace. I'll keep them talking. Yes sir, no problem. No sir, I didn't seem my name come across my desk for fraud cases. Yes, sir, this might be rather fun. A good story at the office! I'll keep this line open. [play with the button and bring them back on] Sorry about that. Some wild dog just . . . hello? hello?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts