Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting a coach gun side-by-side.

Would consider it a home defense option, but mostly I'd use at at the range.

Looking to buy new.

What's the best brand? Stoeger or CZ or what?

12 or 20 ga?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In particular, are the CZ shotguns worth the extra money over the Stoeger sxs guns?

Others to consider.

·
Registered
398 Posts
If you want it for the range and HD I would go with neither :) But since you asked, they would both be fine. I have more experience with the Stoeger. It is has a nice English style stock. I am partial to Benelli's and Mossberg. I believe that Benelli is still the owner of Stoeger.

If you want a great all-purpose gun, A Remington 870 is great as well as any Benelli or Mossberg.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Gave my old Rossi double hammer to one of my kids.....worst...decision...ever....I miss that pre-safety death machine. Took hogs with it.

I am ashamed, or not so ashamed, to say I replaced it with a cheap Zastava double that I plan on taking down to coach gun length when I get around to it.....but I miss my hammered shotgun for straight up sentimental value.....

The boy was happy with the Rossi though. :)

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I have a Stoeger side by side 12. I really like the gun, that being said I got it two valentines ago from my better half but have not shot it yet because we do not have anywhere to shoot shotguns that we have a found.

Beautiful gun, hope it shoots as good as it looks!

Reactions: TSKnight

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
This is a timely post for me - I was looking at coach guns myself just last week. I don't perceive that much difference between the two manufacturers, but based on my good experience with CZ . . . I would go with CZ. Or will go with CZ. Some day.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I bought a CZ 12ga coach gun a few years ago...exposed hammers. It's like holding on to a stick of TNT with full house loads. I literally have to wear a leather glove on my right hand to fire it to avoid my hand being chewed up in the web area between my thumb and fore finger.

First time I went to the range with it was at an indoor range and they let me pattern test it on the pistol range. First round down range, every shooter leaned back to see what the heck was causing that big boom. I offered it to everyone there for a test shot and no one wanted to touch it. And after that first two shots my wife said, "Forget it...I'm not ever shooting that thing." LOL

it IS the most intimidating firearm I've ever owned. Yes, it's only a two rounder, but there's something menacing about those two BIG bore holes at the business end of the barrel. Heck, just the blast that comes from it would knock down trees and buildings like an atomic bomb leveling houses on the plains of the New Mexico testing grounds.

Seriously, though, for mere comfort of shooting I often wish I'd have chosen the 20 ga. But I've also found for pleasure shooting that Winchester Low Recoil 2 3/4" loads are much more tolerable than full power loads.

As for build, the CZ is top notch quality.

·
Registered
Various
15,781 Posts
I like the nostalgia of a coach gun and have owned some. For home-defense, I prefer a pump or semi-auto 12 gauge with more rounds available.

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
My experience told me that it was a play toy. I struggled for 2 years trying to make reloading the idiot thing foolproof, without success. Now granted, this was in Cowboy Action Shooting. I became aware that all the folks winning those matches were gradually switching to 1897 Winchester clones. Why? Because they are so much faster to reload. The saying you heard a lot on match day was, "If you want to win, go Win."

Home defense dictates that if a reload is necessary, it needs to be accomplished as smoothly and quickly as possible - much like reloading in competition on the timer. Given that reality, I never seriously considered it for any kind of defense. IF you can guarantee you'll only need two shots, they would be fine - with the following limitation.

Couple that with the brutality of shooting actual defense loads in the thing, which can be a life-changing experience, and I just haven't ever considered it for defense at all. We ALL used Light Target loads, (the lightest we could get), which are fine for defense against a flock of Kamikaze sparrows or butterflies, but not really something I would trust my family's life to.

I don't have any experience with the CZ guns. Mine was a Stoeger.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I have a 20 gauge mule earred double barrel that I use for hunting and HD. I really like it - almost as much as my Winchester '97.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Home defense dictates that if a reload is necessary, it needs to be accomplished as smoothly and quickly as possible - much like reloading in competition on the timer. Given that reality, I never seriously considered it for any kind of defense. IF you can guarantee you'll only need two shots, they would be fine - with the following limitation.
But Dementia Joe says 2 shots in the air is sufficient to drive off 5 or more armed intruders! He's an expert!

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
But Dementia Joe says 2 shots in the air is sufficient to drive off 5 or more armed intruders! He's an expert!
True...but the question remains...On which PLANET is Uncle Joe considered an expert? 🤪

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
I have had a Stoeger Uplander double barrel. It was a solid no-frills SxS that was very reliable. The CZ is a very nice SxS that is an excellent choice. The Savage 311 is another good no-frills SxS! Good luck!

Reactions: OldChap

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I made my own out of a cheap South American Boito, yeah it's a blast to shoot. Pull both triggers at once and you'll never do it again.

·
Registered
34,560 Posts
I made my own out of a cheap South American Boito, yeah it's a blast to shoot. Pull both triggers at once and you'll never do it again.
View attachment 332218
Do that with a nice English double in .458 Win Magnum and you won't even pick one up again!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have a Stoeger Coach Gun. It's a lot of fun. Kicks like a freaking mule. I did some very light sanding on the axle so it breaks open more easily that it did when new. Just know that point of impact beyond about 15 - 20 yards might differ slightly from the point of aim. They are inexpensive and you can't really expect perfect barrel regulation on an inexpensive imported side by side. However, from contact distances out to that distance, it's just fine.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts