Defensive Carry banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,373 Posts
Any other brands currently in production worth looking at?
You can potentially find some Chicom side by sides with external hammers, but they don’t have the fit and finish of CZ or Stoegers. I have two for cowboy parades.

As others would suggest, I would not use a coach gun as a home defense gun. Brutal recoil and slow reloads are the primary reasons.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a Stoeger and am very happy with it … but it doesn't fill a defensive role. A pair of Mossberg pumps are tasked with home defense for all the same reasons others have given.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I have have a coach gun. It would actually be a pretty decent home defense gun. The overall length makes it handy, and will make it a little harder for gun grab situation.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
A timely thread for me. I too wanted to get a coach gun...well... just because I wanted one! Lol... so I got to looking. And in todays times I found they almost all unobtainable just by the pure demand these days for anything that can be used for home defense. I found one at a local Guns store. A Russian made one that is no longer being imported. But they wanted over what it sold for some years back and I just didn't want something that could not be supported for parts. So in my search of a balance between price, quality and aftermarket parts I ended up with Stoeger. And in particular, for $100 more, they have a Nickel plated one with AA Walnut that has interchangeable chokes too. And yes, they are owned by Benelli and in turn by Baretta. I had a hard time even finding one. None in stock. Ordered one from Cableas and they cancelled the order within hours. Didn't really have it. I finally found one on Gunbroker by a top 100 seller who was asking the normal price for it. I got it in a couple days.

Then I set about getting the things that I had researched and found I needed to make it a Cowboy Action shooting gun which I deemed meant it would be better for home defense if it was that sort of performance level. Quick reload and all sure sounds like home defense to me!

I ordered a set of SS Firing pins and the spanner wrench to change those. Stoeger coaches have a reputation of having softer metal firing pins that mushroom out after a while. A good long while but why wait? Then I got a lever spring kit to make it much easier to break open. Then while installing that I shortened the pin so that it no longer trips the safety after each break open. Converts it to fully manual selection of the safety. So that you do not have to take the safety off again after each set of shots. Safety still works like the old times. On for on off for off.. by your own choice. And while I had it all apart I flitzed everyone and smoothed everything to facilitate smoother operation and smoother insertion of the shells in to the chamber. Took and hour and about $40 worth of parts but it ends up a nice gun...

Very easy to do... simple gunsmithing type things. Ive never done one before but just had one scare being that I somehow discharged the hammers while assembling and had to figure out how to re cock them so that I could get it to assemble. The barrel and fore grip act as levers to cock the hammers. With those off its got to be done by hand by knowing what to lever up and how hard to pry it without doing any damage. Its one of those oh chit moments but its easy once you reason it all out.

Here so pictures of the whole thing.

IMG_7235.jpeg
IMG_7236.jpeg
IMG_7243.jpeg
IMG_7245.jpeg
IMG_7246.jpeg
IMG_7247.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
I got sidetracked by a nice Weatherby 12 gauge autoloader; guess the coach gun will have to wait a bit now.

·
Registered
10,878 Posts
Biggest issue is that most of them are not drop safe, so you really should not keep them loaded with the action closed, even with the safety on. That really negates their use for home defense, IMHO.

I keep my defensive long guns cruiser ready, with loaded magazines but empty chambers, and the action uncocked.

With a SxS you could keep the action open with loaded barrels, but then the firing pin springs would be compressed for long periods of time if it’s a cock-on-open design. Not sure that they’re designed for that.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts