Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading about the man who was boarded by coast guard in florida and wanted to comment . I had to figure out how to register first .now I don't know how to find the site again

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Good luck and howdy from Ohio. Stay around and enjoy the learning and conversations.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Welcome from Southwest Florida.

·
Super Moderator
50,612 Posts
Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret :31:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks high pockets.thats the one I was looking for. Im a commercial fisherman whos been boarded by coast guard many times.i catch live bait for a living usually within 10 miles of my business . I work the inside waters of texas and never go out in the gulf of mexico. They always identify themselves as they are coming aboard. That's not my complaint. What I am trying to learn without success is if they have a right to take my weapons fo no reason. They always ask if theres any weapons on board and I always tell them the truth. Then they unload them and give the bullets to one team member and the guns to another team member then they stand on opposite sides of my boat while another one does safety inspection.what I want to know is do I have to hand over my guns to them. They say its for their safety .im not worried about their safety because there are usually 6 or more all with shotguns and sidearms. They saw its a vessel safety inspection .they pass my business 4 or 5 times a day and could check my boat at the dock any time they wanted to but always wait until I'm out working where every thing has to be done fast to keep my bait alive. Every time I tell myself I'm not going to give up my weapons but then I look at all of them standing there with shotguns.

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
Welcome from South Carolina...

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
Thanks high pockets.thats the one I was looking for. Im a commercial fisherman whos been boarded by coast guard many times.i catch live bait for a living usually within 10 miles of my business . I work the inside waters of texas and never go out in the gulf of mexico. They always identify themselves as they are coming aboard. That's not my complaint. What I am trying to learn without success is if they have a right to take my weapons fo no reason. They always ask if theres any weapons on board and I always tell them the truth. Then they unload them and give the bullets to one team member and the guns to another team member then they stand on opposite sides of my boat while another one does safety inspection.what I want to know is do I have to hand over my guns to them. They say its for their safety .im not worried about their safety because there are usually 6 or more all with shotguns and sidearms. They saw its a vessel safety inspection .they pass my business 4 or 5 times a day and could check my boat at the dock any time they wanted to but always wait until I'm out working where every thing has to be done fast to keep my bait alive. Every time I tell myself I'm not going to give up my weapons but then I look at all of them standing there with shotguns.
I believe you need an attorney, one who is well versed in maritime law. I am not an attorney, but I expect you fall across many jurisdictions. If you are in the intracoastal waterway, I expect you fall under Federal jurisdiction, while you are tied to the dock, however, you probably fall under state and local jurisdictions. For these reasons, and probably many others, I encourage you to contact an attorney.

·
Super Moderator
50,612 Posts
Yes, they have the right to temporarily take your weapons 'for their safety and yours'. It's no different from a LEO disarming you and taking the ammo out of your firearm and placing all in your trunk.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Welcome to Defensive Carry :wave: The best forum for sharing ideas and experience.

Help us keep this forum great by remembering the Golden Rule: Please treat others as you want to be treated.

I am from Kansas.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin. ....

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Another welcome from Wisconsin!

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
Welcome from Virginia.

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Welcome from Ohio.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I captained a small commercial fishing boat off Southern California for a few years. We were a plank boat hunting Swords by harpoon when it was illegal to use a net or a spotter plane. Shark is what really paid the bills. It was common to be boarded. I didn't much enjoy having a machine gun pointed at me while we stood on the fantail. They would unload our deck shotgun every time and pile the machetes we kept for cutting the shark's spinal cords. They would go as far as to measure the compartments to check for hidden space. I don't blame them. We spent most of our time working the Santa Barbara Channel, noted for it's heavy squid population, and drug drops from ships going into San Pedro. I am sure our meanderings looked to a radar operator like we were searching for something. We were, Swordfish.

Reactions: mprp

·
Registered
210 Posts
Welcome from Colorado

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.