Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one loading coated lead bullets ? ( blue bullets ) ive been shooting a lil uspsa ( production) lately and have noticed a couple guys using them , I've checked there isn't much of a $$ savings, is there any advantages, less recoil etc ? I use copper plated from extreame or rmr ...

·
Registered
33,951 Posts
I haven't loaded any because I've got boxes of lubed cast on hand. The advantages of coated bullets, as I have read, is less leading and less smoke. They generally cost a bit more than lubed cast, but not prohibitively so. I haven't read much in the way of accuracy improvement, though I guess some will claim it is so.

Some buy un-lubed cast bullets and powder coat the bullets themselves, but I, personally, don't want to mess with that.

Reactions: msgt/ret and flh

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I’ve not used plated Bullets however when comparing to lead there not a lot more and you get no leading or smoke to speak of. Plus you can load them faster then standard lead. They are a lot more cost effective then jacketed and extremely consistent in my experience. Had great luck in them we have a man locally that makes these and I’ve shot a bunch. Mentioned getting him to mold a LSWCHP like the old fbi bullet from Federal NyClad. Make a great carry/woods load that’s cost effective.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I’ve loaded blue bullets. Had no issues with 9mm other than a little more smoke than plated or FMJ (less smoke than lead though). The 40 bullets I loaded won’t chamber in any gun I have, at any COAL I’ve tried without going so short that I’m scared of a kaboom. Must be the shape of the flat nose - no plated or FMJ bullet does it.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I used to load them quite a bit, zero issues, no leading, no smoke, but smelt like burning clutch plate.

I did switch to buy plated in bulk thought because for some odd reason my HK P30L in 9mm leaded with them. No idea why and I've used them in .45, .40 and 5 other 9mms without an issue, but my P30L doesn't like them. Got to be a PITA loading different bullets for one 9mm, so I switched to plated.

I predominately loaded 147s, RNFPs, there IS a huge difference in ogive shape between the different molds which caused me to have to seat the "non-grease groove" designed 147s quite a bit shorter than the older design or I'd run into chambering issues with my Walther's.

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
I used to load them quite a bit, zero issues, no leading, no smoke, but smelt like burning clutch plate.

I did switch to buy plated in bulk thought because for some odd reason my HK P30L in 9mm leaded with them. No idea why and I've used them in .45, .40 and 5 other 9mms without an issue, but my P30L doesn't like them. Got to be a PITA loading different bullets for one 9mm, so I switched to plated.

I predominately loaded 147s, RNFPs, there IS a huge difference in ogive shape between the different molds which caused me to have to seat the "non-grease groove" designed 147s quite a bit shorter than the older design or I'd run into chambering issues with my Walther's.
Just to be curious, what velocities, and what type lead were you using in your P30L? I have been planning on making coated boolets for my HK P30L in 40

·
Super Moderator
19,238 Posts
I tripped over Bayou Bullets a year ago and since then I've shot thousands of them in .45. Not only do they leave the bore cleaner than the moly-coated bullets I'd been using, they run faster. For my 200 gr SWC loads I backed off from 4.9 to 4.7 gr of Titegroup to reach the same velocity, which was a surprise to me. I haven't noticed any more smoke with these, either.

Price-wise, these are cheaper than plated. I use plated bullets (Xtreme or Berry's) for the 9mm but I don't like the plated offerings in .45 SWCs, so I'm really happy with the coated Bayou Bullets. They offer different color coatings as well, which is nice if you run different loads. I was experimenting with 185s over the summer so I got those in red, to differentiate them at a glance from the others. They look like cute little lipsticks!

My wife just announced there was a heavy package at the front door - the latest delivery from Bayou (they just had a sale). 2200 200 gr bullets, about 63 pounds worth. My mailman must hate me.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Just to be curious, what velocities, and what type lead were you using in your P30L?
They were factory coated and right at 925 out of my 35P at 10'.

It was weird, because I have other 9mms that don't have an issue. I finally got tired of scrubbing it out (ChorBoy) and switched to plated. Definitely an issue with just this one pistol.

·
Registered
33,951 Posts
I was experimenting with 185s over the summer so I got those in red, to differentiate them at a glance from the others. They look like cute little lipsticks!
Widow maker lipsticks...

Reactions: gasmitty

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
They were factory coated and right at 925 out of my 35P at 10'.

It was weird, because I have other 9mms that don't have an issue. I finally got tired of scrubbing it out (ChorBoy) and switched to plated. Definitely an issue with just this one pistol.
Hmmm....I reckon I'm still going to try it in mine and see what happens. I'll watch it closely.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I load pc bullets almost exclusively in my 44s. I will eventually use them in my 38/357 but I have about 3/4 of a 5gallon bucket of regular old lead & lubed to work through.
I’m just a regular schmuck but I find that the coated bullets act much the way plated bullets do. A lot less smoke, and a spotless barrel.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Hmmm....I reckon I'm still going to try it in mine and see what happens. I'll watch it closely.
I'm betting they'll be fine. In 9mm I have:

Walther PPQs (2)
SW M&P (2)
Walther PPS
HK VP9
Colt AR6951

That have zero issues with them.....just my P30L. So based on that, I'm guessing it's something to do with the P30L barrel, not the coated bullets. My .40s (2) and .45ACPs (3) don't have problems with them either.

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
I'm betting they'll be fine. In 9mm I have:

Walther PPQs (2)
SW M&P (2)
Walther PPS
HK VP9
Colt AR6951

That have zero issues with them.....just my P30L. So based on that, I'm guessing it's something to do with the P30L barrel, not the coated bullets. My .40s (2) and .45ACPs (3) don't have problems with them either.
let me clarify. I'm going to try it in my P30L and see what happens. I've read PC bullets are supposed to work in poly barrels. If it doesn't, I guess I'll stick with plated. It seems strange they work in your VP9.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I've been happy with Blue Bullets in 9 mm (124 gr RN) and 45 auto (200 gr SWC). In the 9 I do find they tend to shoot a little tighter groups then plated. No smoke & no leading, but they do stain your hands if you don't wear gloves while loading (it washes right off). They offer discounts to members of a variety or organizations and shooting forums.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I used Blue Bullets for 9mm (147gr RN) and 45ACP (225gr RN). They have worked fine for me. I used these for my plinking ammo and I don't shoot competition so I didn't do any hard comparisons for accuracy or velocity. They were cheaper than the plated bullets (Berry's) I had been using and the store I get them from didn't have any 9mm in 147 gr in stock. I have been pretty happy with them. They feed just fine. But like Slim said, they do turn your fingers blue. And occasionally at the range, someone will ask, "What's deal with the blue bullets?"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts