Defensive Carry banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Banned
693 Posts
I used to sell the Pro-Lite plain edge for as long as it was on their 'close out' list. I had to straighten and shine up their bevels, but I considered their close out price to be quite fair.

Yeah, the steel was kind of mundane, but everything is in the heat treat. I think that this is one area where they married up the steel to the correct Rockwell hardness.

For example, the knives I owned took a keen edge and held it for a respectable period of time. When dull, it was a simple job to touch up the edge to new status. This shows edge retention and a good hardening job.

However, I never noticed concoidal fracture on any of the knives I sharpened. That would be a sign of the steel being too glass hard. Considering the sorry and tough lives these knives led, I knew they were wiggled crooked in the middle of a cut, forced through things they shouldn't be cutting, dropped on hard floors and bounced off staples when slicing boxes.

I liked the looks of the old model, but if the new black-ti coated ones are produced in the same manner, they will be every bit as good as a knife costing three times the amount.

I like my present EDC made from S30V, but I also carry a Razor Knife from Tom Anderson also made from mundane steel. Don't sell these little guys short. Within their limits they give excellent service.

· Banned
693 Posts
I'm simply not able to use a knife that expensive
I used to think that way. The first decent knife I owned cost 100 dollars and I checked my pocket every ten minutes to see if it was still there.

I have several Striders. They have been sharpened. They have been carried. Granted, I'm careful with them, but that regime is no different from any other.

I also carry Pro Techs and Microtechs. Just as a personal treat. My wife can spend more at a "spa day."

If you took your special girl to a fancy-schmancy restaurant with a semi-decent wine, it would be over a hundred bucks.

I wore Tony Lama boots, which I still have, to properly work the narrow space between the clutch and brake pedals of a 1989 Mustang. Some people feel the same about good Snap-On hand tools.

Look, I pitch +$20K to the wind every time I careen down an on-ramp.

If you had to truly figure cost per bite, you'd be eating cat food. Good knives are one of life's joys.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.