Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a report on the local NBC affiliate this evening about the color coating of guns. They reported that the local law enforcement is against color coating a gun any color but gray or black, otherwise it looks like a toy gun. I can see their point to a certain extent. On the other hand, if someone points what looks like a gun at me, I would shoot, no matter the color. I find it hard to believe that a jury would find an officer guilty of some negligent crime because of that reason alone. Apparently the "Brady bunch" is advocating to law enforcement that they should put pressure on the companies who do the color coating to stop it.

There are so many toy guns out there that look like the real thing, why would color make a difference? Heck, I have black Ring's guns. If I was an officer and someone was pointing one of those at me, I would think it was the real thing. Perhaps where an officer might "struggle" is if a gun was colored in either the shade of red or blue that's used by ASP and Ring's. I think that would quickly be associated with "training". But if the gun had a black circle/dot at the tip of the barrel, I would probably associate it with the potential of being a real gun, but I think the first thought would be "that's not a real gun."

Your thoughts?

·
Administrator
143,573 Posts
I've Seen Them

In Bright Red & Powder Blue & Light Purple.
I could see how they could get taken for toy guns.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Depending on the situation, you have to react to the threat as you percieve it. If you percieve the bright pink "gun" to be just that, you have to react to that assesment. I saw a pink coated slide on an XD and it sorta looked like a toy. Obviously that would be a mistake to believe that pink XD was only a toy if it were being pointed at you!

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
My thought is that any gun that is not either silver or blued is glarish and just plain ugly, I know someone powder coated a gun for their daughter but other than unique it is ugh. On the other hand I would defend the right of someone to want a and own a ugly gun just as there are those who want and have ugly cars.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I figure folks have a right to do what they want with their constitutionally protected property.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Here's what gets me, the anti's like to refer to guns as "scary" mainly because they are black. Now, they don't want you making them "less scary" by getting them colored.

But, I agree with rfurtkamp, it's their property, let them do with it what they want.

Wayne

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I certainly have no problem with folks choosing any darned color they wish - tho I am a stick-in-mud traditionalist for most part!

As for mandating color for anyone - ''in case it looks like a toy'' - well excuse me but, if I have a ''gun'' pointed at me even if quite close, I hardly expect to be making a split second analysis as to its authenticity!

Sad to say - it is up to irswhile wannabee crooks to make the (sensible) decision that no one but no one points anything, at an LE in particular, or for that matter any gun-like object at a citizen. The potential for response is so great they should have enough sense to not do it.

Let's say a perp sprays his gun orange - hoping to have it seen as a toy - so he doesn't get shot. Sorry he would still be threatening IMO. Kid with look-alike BB - same problem - whatever color. It is still down to perceived threat - it's that simple, for me.

So - anyone wanting to ''play games'' out there in the real world - accept the potential for consequences. Be sensible.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
I dunno bout you guys, but if I'm about to be lookin at the business end of what ever type/color the gun is, I'm gonna react first, and then let the guy with the colored gun take my actions as que to put it down.

·
Registered
357 Posts
K-Man said:
There was a report on the local NBC affiliate this evening about the color coating of guns..... Apparently the "Brady bunch" is advocating to law enforcement that they should put pressure on the companies who do the color coating to stop it.
Of course the Brady Bunch is opposed. Now, in addition to worrying about evil black rifles, they'll have to worry about evil green rifles, evil purple rifles, evil orange rifles, etc.

IIRC, most firearm crimes are committed in low light conditions. That being the case, it doesn't matter what color it is if it is shaped like a gun.

Some people have too much time, and money, on their hands...

SSKC

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Euclidean said:

If I want a blue slide or a pink rifle that's my own damn business and anybody who tells me anything differently needs to stick it where the sun don't shine.

So Uhh Euc you gonna put pink stocks on your AR?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Well Geeze, it wasn't that long ago (in my memory) that toy guns were to be given an orange tip so they would not be mistaken for something “real”. (Not that it really works.)

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I remember something around 10 years ago, about an LEO shooting a child who was playing in the wrong place at the wrong time with a toy gun. After that, Toys were to be colored bright colors so as to not be mistaken for a real gun.

Help me here, NOW someone is coloring real guns to be like TOYS?
Am I understanding this right?

I’m kinda partial to my grey/blued guns anyhow. (Not toy blue.)

·
Registered
334 Posts
I always thought a smart criminal would just dip the tip of his real gun in some orange paint and say it was an airsoft if anyone got curious. Unfortunately people do the air soft guns all the time on campus and the authorities say nothing. Just waiting for some SOB to use a orange tip gun to preform a massacre. Fortunately if you point a gun real or not police will still shoot you. Only a moron or a suicide victim would point anything that looked like a gun at an LEO.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Most of the guns I've seen are what I would term traditional colors - nickel, blued, od green, or similar. I have seen some that have been some different colors. A couple of examples can be seen here: http://www.ccr-refinishing.com/sample.htm .

What brought about this news story, in part, was a recent shooting of a kid in the Orlando area by an LEO. The person had an all black toy gun that looked like a Beretta, if I remember correctly. Local law enforcement brought up the point that toy guns are supposed to be identified with the orange barrel tip. But there's nothing preventing someone from painting that black. The local news report even eluded to the possibility of it eventually becoming illegal to have a "non-traditional colored gun."

I believe people should be allowed to make their guns whatever color they choose. If they choose to point that gun at another person, then clearly it warrants an appropriate response. I would think in most instances it would be difficult, at best, to determine if the gun was genuine or a toy.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Whatever color gun you want is your business. I do agree that real guns painted "different" colors can look like toys, and then there's plenty of airsofts that look like the real thing. It doesn't help cops any.

My favorite squirt gun looked just like a sawed-off, pistol gripped pump shotgun. It gave good blasts of water and would soak my brother from head to toe, and probably would've scared the pants off a stranger if it wasn't obvious water was leaking out the end. Kids who are playing with toy guns should be kept in a private location, inside the home or back yard away from prying, frightened eyes. Unfortunately in this day and age, kids need to be taught that they need to be careful with what they do with even the most seeminly innocent-looking toy gun.

I don't feel sorry for the idiot who tries to threaten someone with a fake gun and gets kiled with a real one.

I've always liked the Taurus spectrum blue.

·
Registered
563 Posts
K-Man,
Those colors don't look too bad. (I don't know about the purple though.) The O.D. green looks nice. I like the Camo patterns.

As far as pointing toys is concerned:
I had one heck of a time tying to get it across to my kids, how & why you don’t ever point a toy gun at a person. Then I made the final instructional, I took them out and trained them to shoot REAL guns.
After seeing the result of pointing & shooting, they don’t “play” with toy guns anymore. They don’t point them for sure. Now they play with "Light sabers". (It just gave me the shivers when I saw one of my kids point a toy gun at someone. Even those ugly exaggerated bulging bright colored water toys make me uneasy.)

·
Registered
750 Posts
My G23 is a rather evil-looking black.

This suits me just fine.

As for laws color-coding the world, it'd be just one more case of a law followed by the law-abiding, and ignored by the criminal.

Much a-do about nothing. . . Signifying nothing. . . So to speak.
(Forgive me for the paraphrase. But I offer no apology! :biggrin2: )

mm

·
Premium Member
6,260 Posts
rfurtkamp said:
I figure folks have a right to do what they want with their constitutionally protected property.
My thoughts exactly. I will grant you that they are ugly as sin and I could see Bruce with his Colt Commander in Lavender and puke my guts out, but it is his property, period.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts