Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, now that the folks in CO can get stoned, did the cwp laws change any with the new reefer laws?

(If you smoke reefer before you shoot, will it make your bullets slower?) :wall:

·
Premium Member
34,330 Posts
Just curious, now that the folks in CO can get stoned, did the cwp laws change any with the new reefer laws?

(If you smoke reefer before you shoot, will it make your bullets slower?) :wall:
Whaaat??? Oh, yeah, right.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I haven't seen any changes, but I'll keep an eye out. It doesn't affect me since I don't smoke marijuana.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Whatever is the case, it's hard to ignore the likely reality that if caught in a situation in which one is partaking of judgement-altering substances at the time, one is going to be facing some very stiff questions as to the legitimacy of the judgement and actions that resulted.

On that basis, alone, I wouldn't do both, irrespective of the changing stripes of politicians. "Flavor of the month" changes don't change peoples' nature that quickly.

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
If you habitually use marijuana, a Federally controlled substance, then either you have to a) lie on the 4473 (which is a felony) b) answer honestly that you are dependent on a controlled substance and be denied.

Although I believe there are legitimate medical uses for marijuana and think that it should be a Schedule IV not I, until that changes it is illegal in all forms. Also, the vast majority of "medical" users are full of crap...sure, I have insomnia sometimes, but that doesn't mean I need to smoke some Sweet 'Bama Kush...

·
Premium Member
5,007 Posts
"Dude, I am so wasted......that's my skull!"

·
Registered
367 Posts
There simply has not yet been enough time for the enacted laws(and still developing Regulations for those new laws) to be in effect to get any kind of contextual understanding of any possible interaction of such issues. But, as said earlier, we will be watching--carefully.

·
Registered
261 Posts

Nope, they're still the same. Can't be a user of a controlled substance.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
...the actual question on the 4473 says: "Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana..."

...so even an occasional smoker who is neither a habitual user or addicted must answer "yes" and be disqualified...no matter the state laws and Rx, Federal law still forbids possession and use of marijuana so you're unlawful with ANY use...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Maybe they're hoping everyone will start smoking and becoming illegal to buy guns, ergo less guns being sold?

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...the actual question on the 4473 says: "Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana..."

...so even an occasional smoker who is neither a habitual user or addicted must answer "yes" and be disqualified...no matter the state laws and Rx, Federal law still forbids possession and use of marijuana so you're unlawful with ANY use...

Playing devils advocate, isn't this a state issue since the cwp is a state by state thing?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts

no, the bullets will seem faster because the shooter is now slower.

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
Playing devils advocate, isn't this a state issue since the cwp is a state by state thing?
No, it goes beyond the CWP issue and addresses the possession of a firearm in general per 18 USC 922(d)(3) and 21 USC 802. In plain English, Federal law prohibits possession of a firearm by someone who is a user of a controlled substance as defined by the Controlled Substances Act (which is found in 21 USC).

Marijuana is currently on Schedule I, which means that it has no recognized legitimate use. Other substances in the same category include heroin, peyote, MDMA (Ecstasy), K2/Spice (synthetic pot) and some other analogues. Even cocaine has legitimate use (facial surgery, it reduces bleeding) so it is on Schedule II, most opoid painkillers are Schedule III. Personally, I believe that both marijuana and MDMA should be on III or IV and there needs to be much more CREDIBLE medical research done on their potential uses (MDMA has shown potential as a treatment for severe cases of PTSD and well as narcolepsy).

And yes, I do have a large amount of knowledge on this for someone not in the medical profession, my brother is an MD.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Maybe people will better focus on proper sight picture? Will they remember to pull the trigger? Good thing its just weed and not acid or shrooms because thoes zombie targets could cause an issue for some.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts

As i understand it, the possession of marijuana is illegal under federal law, not its use. So, is there such a thing as an "unlawful user" in Colorado? Not sure how the legalese works out.

As an aside, as much as I despise Colorado's priorities in protecting the rights of the citizens, I do find it hopeful that states are truly bucking federal law in significant issues.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
nope...re-read MJB__17's post...under Federal law...ANY user is unlawful...

...I don't look at CO as bucking the Feds nearly so much as stroking the liberals...
As i understand it, the possession of marijuana is illegal under federal law, not its use. So, is there such a thing as an "unlawful user" in Colorado? Not sure how the legalese works out.

As an aside, as much as I despise Colorado's priorities in protecting the rights of the citizens, I do find it hopeful that states are truly bucking federal law in significant issues.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts