Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2 primary pistols are are Colt 1911A1 and a Glock 19 which is my EDC. I would say I shoot both equally as well. The 1911 is reliable and after getting my Chip Mccormick power mags I've had no failures. The glock is...well... a glock. Don't really need to say much more. Between those 2 guns, which would be your night stand gun?

·
Super Moderator
17,559 Posts
Since a 1911 is my EDC that is the one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Which one would be easiest to use when you just wake up and you're groggy? I keep going back to my Revolvers when I consider that kind of question.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I keep one on the night stand and one in the night stand drawer! Both are exceptional handguns.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The Glock due to its higher capacity. Ever see a 33 round magazine in a 1911? Neither have I.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just had a funny thought...33 round mag in the glock. Wake up half asleep and shoot yourself in the foot because you grabbed it the wrong way :rofl: I'm still laughing at myself...easily amused I guess.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Might depend on your family situation and how your house is laid out. There was a good show on Personal Defense TV that shot various calibers through about 5 complete walls of drywall, each about 8 ft apart.

9mm shot straight through all walls and had very little drop by the fifth wall. .45 went through most walls but the energy was dropping and the bullet dropped a couple of feet by the fifth wall. Bird shot I think was the least penetrating. An AR 15 and buck shot did lots of penetration as well.

My point is, if you have family in another part of your house, or if you live in an apartment you may be shooting through walls.

I suggest you have a plan and educate yourself as much as possible. There are many concerns besides which gun you regularly carry and how many bullets they hold.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Whatever you are comfortable with. For me it is always a Glock.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I own both a Colt 1911 and a Glock 19, but neither of those is the gun I'm picking up if something goes bump in the night. That event will cause the deployment of the AR15 with the tactical light attached.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I'd go with the Glock.

Okay, I already do. I have a G21 with a light and a laser in the bedsafe.

A point was made involving "grogginess". Unless you are well trained to the 1911, and I mean to the point of muscle memory, I would go with the "point and click" option offered by Glock.

Just sayin'...

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
If I had to choose I would pick the G19, home invasions usually involve more than 1 BG...

·
Registered
243 Posts
would say the 1911 for the simple fact that it wouldnt have the over penetration thru walls tha the 19 would if you have children at home!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Our bed has a bridge with lights that go across and above the headboard connecting to cabinets on either side. On top of the cabinet, is my 19ll w/extra mags and on a shelf lower down is my Glock G30SF.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Beside my bed sits an SA 1911 Mil-Spec with 2 spare mags, A 20ga. Rem 870 with #3 buckshot and a butt cuff and a Surefire 6P. Use whatever you're most comfortable with.
Jack

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I don't know about the rest of you but, when something go's bump in the night at my house I'm wide awake.

Also I know this is a handgun question, but if I need to rock and roll I'm doing it with my 870. I'm bringing 6 shells with nine .32 cal pellets

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Both are great guns, but I would prefer to send the larger .45 caliber object whistling through the darkened home to greet the misguided intruder.:image035:

·
Registered
11,050 Posts
The Glock - no need to remember to take off the manual safety when you're groggy. More ammo capacity.

Funny thing in this thread...I thought .45 was supposed to penetrate more than the "wimpy" 9mm?:wink::rofl::gah:

Just kidding - first thing I thought when I saw this thread was - here we go again...9mm vs .45, 1911 vs Glock...:aargh4:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts