Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
I have the opportunity to purchase two Colt 1911's. They are both government models.
One is a mark IV series 70 5'' barrel in original box and 2 mags
Other is a mark IV series 80 officer's with 2 mags and pancake bianchi holster
both for $900
I am thinking this is a good deal but would like some feedback.
is there somewhere I can check serial # to check age of firearms.

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Buy them! DEAL, DEAL, DEAL, DEAL, DEAL!

Ti.

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
$900 for both is one of the best deals I have heard of in a long time.

·
Super Moderator
22,006 Posts
Just the Series 70 alone is nearly worth that in many areas. I'd jump on that deal pronto.

·
Administrator
143,593 Posts
Yep, I would also bite on that.

And if the 80 Officers is a good one then that is one heckova nice little carry gun also. That deal would be like getting that one & the holster free.

·
Registered
737 Posts
That's close to "too good to be true" territory. Look them both over carefully.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
70 Series Col Govt would be around 750.00 retail...........The 80 Series Officer's would be another 475.00 to 550.00 retail
2 Officer's mags @ 19.00 each.............Bianchi Shadow (I'm guessing) is about 76.00 new... GREAT DEAL!! you'd better RUN TO GET THOSE BADBOYZ!!!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
awesome...

thanks guys. I will purchase tomorrow. Can I PM the serial numbers to you tomorrow.?? that would be great if I could get some history on them.
They are coming out of an estate. older gentleman passed and his brother is selling off for widow. I did not set the price. I will try to post pic tomorrow too.
thanks

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
You're cold blooded. I wouldn't be able to go to church next Sunday if i didn't give the guy at least $1100. for them. Seriously though, IF they are in 95% condition (or maybe a tiny bit less) you're gettin' a good (not a hellova good) deal. I have two of those series 70's that you mentioned and IMO they are the best that Colt has ever made. GREAT FIND! SCARF 'EM UP! ----------

·
Super Moderator
22,006 Posts
$450 for a Series 70 in 95% condition would be a hellova good deal in my neck of the woods. :hand10:

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok. thanks to Bud, I found out that my colt series 70 5'' 1911 was built in 1971. happy about that. I took this gun to the range, and for two mag everything was ok. but then after about every to E/O shot, the slide would not fully feed the cartridge. I would have to hit the back of the slide to seat the shell. then it would eject fine.
I have questions. first a book to learn about 1911's and two what is my problem?
thanks again

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
i sent ya a Pm on it And hate to Refer you to anyother Forum but Slide over to The Highroad.org and Search for 1911tuner and his posts he can pretty much cover anything ya run into..

As for books look no Farther than the Jerry K. Books Link to Follow

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks BUD

man Bud is quick in the draw today. Chris you must be sleeping on the job. lol. I think we have a new sheriff in town.

I will look for the book, today.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Roadrunner said:
That's close to "too good to be true" territory. Look them both over carefully.

Ditto!

You might want to use this as a reference to check the pistols over.

http://www.m1911.org/technic24.htm

... and don't forget to follow the function-check link at the bottom of the page.

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Snowdoc, Did you detail strip (not just field strip) the gun, clean it real good and appropriately lube/grease the gun before shooting it as well as clean the mags?

The thing is with a used gun (and there is nothing wrong with used, I have a few myself) is you don't know the maintenance history of the gun. The springs in the gun could be original and never changed, I would change all the springs, I would also buy new magazines too! either, Metalform, Wilson, or Tripp Cobra mags in no particular order or buy new guts for the mags you already have and change them.

I think from what you are saying the gun just needs some TLC with new springs, a good clean & lube and new mags or mag guts, possibly polish the feed ramp, and she will be good to go.

Ti.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts