Defensive Carry banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Colt is stored in the factory case inside of a small safe. I take it out a few times a week just because its my favorite Pistol. When I open the case I always find oil on the slide..the best I can compare it to is condensation on a glass.

Should I be worried about this ?

I have been using rem-oil maybe I should try something else ?
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Super Moderator
19,385 Posts
As long as it’s oil and not condensation nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Is there high humidity in your house? Maybe try switching to a CLP and see if the same thing happens.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I would keep some sort of dissicent in the case with it. Replace it regularly and it will keep the moisture away from your Colt. Don't worry about oil on the slide.

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Rem oil is extremely light and migrates well. You've discovered how it migrates too well, and why I don't recommend it for defensive guns that are stored a long time without maintenance. It migrates right out of where you need it.

1911's tend to have a lot of lube points compared to modern polymer pistols.you could try synthetic light weight motor oil. You could try less oil. You may be using too much in each lube point. Wipe off excess before storing. Since this is a range gun, not SD, it's probably not a big deal either way (assuming your "condensation" really is oil).

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
If you store your guns long term, you want a heavier lube/oil. I use Firepower-10 that stays put and does not evaporate like Rem-oil. Also use Mobil One synthetic motor oil
that lasts forever and at $6/quart at Walmart, its a cheap fix.

·
Administrator
144,927 Posts
If you are storing your pistol in a pistol rug that has that synthetic sheep wool interior - that synthetic wool tends to get wet with migrated oil and then as your pistol slides around in that case - oil will end up up being transferred to the surface of the pistol which may look like condensation but, it is harmless to your handgun.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
DO NOT store it in the gun case. they trap moisture from the air and do not allow moisture to escape. I use gunsocks on all of my long guns with no problems. for my handguns i lay them on the shelf in my pistol safe on a rag, bot nothing else other than oil. I also wipe them down with a silicone impregnated cloth that i have found works very very well. Since i carry all of my handguns i clean and oil every sunday so my guns dont really have time to develop rust

Reactions: Sap03 and QKShooter

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks OD & Taurahe, I did not know that. I ended up with some stuff called weapon shield and I am impressed with it so far (clp/grease)
One day maybe I will get a safe with humidity control, I will have to do some research. Living in this swamp of a state has a few drawbacks.

·
Super Moderator
22,600 Posts
Thanks OD & Taurahe, I did not know that. I ended up with some stuff called weapon shield and I am impressed with it so far (clp/grease)
One day maybe I will get a safe with humidity control, I will have to do some research. Living in this swamp of a state has a few drawbacks.
You're quite welcome.

Weapon Shield is good stuff, I switched to it as soon as George Fennell brought it to market. He is the inventor of FP-10 and when he sold that company, Birchwood Casey changed the formula, Weapon Shield is basically an improved FP-10.

I'd also recommend getting some "Rig" to wipe down your guns with if you plan on letting them set for any length of time.

·
Super Moderator
19,267 Posts
I'm a RIG fan myself. No rust ever.

Didn't know this about Weapon Shield. Thanks OD#!

·
Super Moderator
22,600 Posts
I'm a RIG fan myself. No rust ever.

Didn't know this about Weapon Shield. Thanks OD#!
I find it to be amazing stuff myself, Bryan (RIG), especially good for use in humid climates.

Several years ago George Fennell was on a number of firearms boards promoting Weapon Shield, he was confident enough in his product that he sent out thousands of small bottles of the stuff free. I started using his FP-10 in the late '80s shortly after it was introduced, after that, that's all I used until he brought out Weapon Shield.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.