Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All,

A couple times recently, while browsing the ammo search engines for .308/7.62x51, I have come across what look like very good deals on "Colt" ammo. It is described as Russian-made with galvanized steel cases. The boxes have what looks like the genuine Colt's Manufacturing logo on them. I've never seen this stuff before.

Any ideas if it's any good? Is there any actual connection to Colt's Manufacturing?

TIA for any info.

·
Super Moderator
18,492 Posts
Interesting.

I couldn't turn any up on a cursory internet search. Would love to see a link.

The description of the ammunition's characteristics doesn't sound promising.

·
Premium Member
6,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The description of the ammunition's characteristics doesn't sound promising.
Agreed!

That's one reason I was so surprised to see what APPEARED to be a genuine Colt logo on the boxes. I would have thought that if Colt was to start importing ammo, it would be premium stuff.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Is it spelled "Colb" or "Cult" and is the logo a filly instead of a colt? Is this like the gold "Rolex" I bought at the flea market that turned my wrist green?

·
Premium Member
6,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a pic of the box. They had these at J&G Sales, but they appear to be sold out now.
product_thumb.jpg

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Super Moderator
18,492 Posts
Undeniably the prancing pony and properly spelled "Colt" done in the trademark font.

Never saw that before.

I wouldn't personally be interested in using such ammunition having galvanized steel cases no matter how the packaging read. If some Colt cartridges appear in boxer-primed, brass cases then I'd be tickled to try them.

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
Hmmm, never heard of the stuff

·
Premium Member
6,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Undeniably the prancing pony and properly spelled "Colt" done in the trademark font...
Sure looks like it to me!

Have to wonder if it's a full-blown counterfeit, or just an ill-advised licensing deal by Colt's. :scratchchin:

I'm not a big fan of steel-cased ammo, but the price was right and I thought about getting 1/2 case of the stuff just to have around.

·
Super Moderator
22,040 Posts
I'd hope it's counterfeit, but Colt has a new president and chief executive officer, hard to know what he'd do.

·
Super Moderator
18,492 Posts
I've fired a lot of steel-cased ammunition through my SKS and a dab through the AR 15, Mosin Nagant, and 1911. The common issue was more filth to clean out of the guns at the end of the shooting sessions. The steel cartridge cases didn't cause any observable problems. One hears of increased wear with steel-cased ammunition and there could be something to that. Not obtaining a reloadable case after shooting the stuff was what bugged me most of all.

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Smith and Wesson sullied their good name by allowing chinese products to appear bearing their name, why wouldn't Colt follow suit? Far too many companies with good reputations sold out and ruined what was once trustworthy. Bell South, Chicago Pneumatic, Hardly Davidson, the list is long.

·
Registered
18,750 Posts
Smith and Wesson sullied their good name by allowing chinese products to appear bearing their name, why wouldn't Colt follow suit? Far too many companies with good reputations sold out and ruined what was once trustworthy. Bell South, Chicago Pneumatic, Hardly Davidson, the list is long.
S&W sullied its name, IMO, when they got away from doing what they did best, dropping great products from its line up, like the M19, and started copying everyone else.

·
Premium Member
6,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've fired a lot of steel-cased ammunition through my SKS and a dab through the AR 15, Mosin Nagant, and 1911. The common issue was more filth to clean out of the guns at the end of the shooting sessions. The steel cartridge cases didn't cause any observable problems. One hears of increased wear with steel-cased ammunition and there could be something to that. Not obtaining a reloadable case after shooting the stuff was what bugged me most of all.
Agreed on all counts!

I've used a little Wolf & Herters in the AK, SKS, and Mosin Nagant, but I keep it out of my higher-end guns. I am wary of the wear issues with steel cases, but the reloading issue is what bothers me most, too, at least in the 'bigger' calibers. I want .308 & .30-30 brass!

Reactions: Jaeger

·
Registered
37,034 Posts
I don't care what the label has on it, I don't use the Russian stuff for several reasons.

Reactions: Bad Bob

·
Premium Member
6,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bumping the thread...

I'm seeing more of this ammo online, and the pricing is very attractive. I don't think I'd make it a staple food for my guns, but might not mind having a case in the back of the closet just 'because'.

Anybody tried it yet???

TIA

1 - 20 of 32 Posts