·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Getting back to what they used to do best.
At 900.00+ dollars, I'm thinking my AO milspec with replaced best internals that only stands me 700.00 total is the better value. I'm wondering how many MIM parts are in this new Colt offering. One caveat, won't know till I handle one of the new Colts, theirs may be better parked. My AO park is thin.

·
Premium Member
33,788 Posts
At 900.00+ dollars, I'm thinking my AO milspec with replaced best internals that only stands me 700.00 total is the better value. I'm wondering how many MIM parts are in this new Colt offering. One caveat, won't know till I handle one of the new Colts, theirs may be better parked. My AO park is thin.
Hopefully (?), actually price points will come in well under MSRP.

Also hoping that the product will be reliable as well as iconic.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
The AO is a good value for what it is, but I don’t see the wisdom in spending any money to upgrade all the parts in a budget gun with a cast frame. The Colt and Springers are forged frames.

A smarter approach imo, is getting a budget model like a Springer or Colt plain Jane. The only mims in those that I’m aware of would be the slide lock, thumb safety, and grip safety.
Of course, there may be one or two more that I’m not aware of, but that’s not a major issue if you want to replace them.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The AO is a good value for what it is, but I don’t see the wisdom in spending any money to upgrade all the parts in a budget gun with a cast frame. The Colt and Springers are forged frames.

A smarter approach imo, is getting a budget model like a Springer or Colt plain Jane. The only mims in those that I’m aware of would be the slide lock, thumb safety, and grip safety.
Of course, there may be one or two more that I’m not aware of, but that’s not a major issue if you want to replace them.
Cast done correctly is nearly as strong as forged. SA M1A cast receiver was put up against an original forged mil receiver gun for testing decades ago based on the purists discrediting anything but forged in an m14/m1a. The forged gun ran 450K, the cast SA ran 400K, replacing barrels and parts as needed for the testing. IOW, no one is ever going to destroy a cast receiver in several lifetimes.

For the difference of 200.00, the AO will last long enough for my brothers kids kids to still be shooting it. Not to mention, for that savings I also have the best internal parts in my 1911, while the Colt will not.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Cast done correctly is nearly as strong as forged. SA M1A cast receiver was put up against an original forged mil receiver gun for testing decades ago based on the purists discrediting anything but forged in an m14/m1a. The forged gun ran 450K, the cast SA ran 400K, replacing barrels and parts as needed for the testing. IOW, no one is ever going to destroy a cast receiver in several lifetimes.

For the difference of 200.00, the AO will last long enough for my brothers kids kids to still be shooting it. Not to mention, for that savings I also have the best internal parts in my 1911, while the Colt will not.
Understand. But it would seem that logic would also apply to mims parts being used in low stress/impact areas of a gun.

To me it’s like the Glock plastic sights. There is a lot of rhetoric about them being fragile, but you would be hard pressed to find a bakers dozen that have actually personally had one break.

Of course, opinions vary, but for my money, I’ll spend the little extra on a frame forged from solid bar stock, and replace the few mims parts if I felt it needed.

·
Super Moderator
21,915 Posts
I would imagine the MIM parts used are the same as in all their other 1911s, can't see Colt using specifically designed parts for this one model ( same reason they used the M1911A1 grip safety on this latest variation of the 1918 instead of the original M1911 style). MIM parts Colt currently uses (unless they have changed recently) magazine catch, mag catch lock, sear, disconnector.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
I would imagine the MIM parts used are the same as in all their other 1911s, can't see Colt using specifically designed parts for this one model ( same reason they used the M1911A1 grip safety on this latest variation of the 1918 instead of the original style M1911 style). MIM parts Colt currently uses (unless they have changed recently) magazine catch, mag catch lock, sear, disconnector.
Well heck, that’s nothing! And none of those are under high stress or impact.

That means you could buy a Colt, pay a realistic 750-800 and be good to go without worry right out of the box.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Cast done correctly is nearly as strong as forged.
[emphasis added]

Here's my concern with MIM: done correctly MIM is great. But....and there's always a but....my belief is that it is easier to mess up the MIM procedure than it is to mess up the forged stock removal process. So the odds are greater that your MIM'd part will fail because of a flaw than your forged part will fail because of a flaw.

I'd be delighted to be proven wrong in this. I'm prone to being wary of new technology and material science. I still prefer cast iron pans and carbon steel knives.

·
Super Moderator
21,915 Posts
Well heck, that’s nothing! And none of those are under high stress or impact.

That means you could buy a Colt, pay a realistic 750-800 and be good to go without worry right out of the box.
Chuck Roger's of ROGERS PRECISION posted
Post subject: Re: Question about new Colt ignition parts
Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:19 pm

...in my experience Colt ignition parts are top shelf. Yes they require some work, but the metallurgy and geometry are very good.
when asked about putting a trigger job on Colt's "new" at the time, ignition parts.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts