Defensive Carry banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello, I have a ??? About a price on a Colt Combat Commander haven’t bought any pistols lately, this is for my brother, he found the colt combat for 700.00
It’s blue it’s a 80 series but the serial # starts with 80BS and I’m told that with that number its really a 70 series, something about when it came out and how Colt did there serial numbers.
Does this make any sense? And how is the price? The fire arms looks great but no box your paper. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
281 Posts
You were told wrong 80 = 80 series, B.S. = blue steel, (as in blue steel frame) L.W. = light weight (ie. aluminium frame). $700 is not a bad price for a 1911 commander in like new condition. I recently saw a NIB stainless goverment in 38 super at $800.00

So to review:

70BSXXXXXX= 70 series blue steel
70SSXXXXXX= 70 Stainless Steel
70LWXXXXXX= 70 Light Weight

80 series works the same

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s what I thought too. But ran some searches and they seem to say also what this guy told me. just makes me more lost.

"I'll tell you something neat about the gun. It has a Series 80 serial number but it's one of the early ones that didn't have the damned firing pin block, like a Series 70 for a Series 80 price. And, it's not a Commander; it's a Combat Commander – all steel frame." I have since been told that these guns are actually Series 70 guns which got the “80BS…” serial numbers because of record-keeping issues at Colt, and not because they are actually Series 80 guns. It has no Series 80 parts or characteristics.

There is something a bit magical about the guns built by Colt before they had their troubles in the mid-80’s and early 90’s. There’s a certain solidness and fineness of fit and finish, the legendary mystique of the rampant colt, and other intangibles that most of the newer guns just don't have.

With the prefix 80BS, my guess would be some time in the 1980's. The records I have only go to 1978 with the prefix 70BS.

When I contacted colt today they seem to think the same, but ar getting back to me tomorrow

Thanks for your input & help. & i'm not saying your wrong, I see it the same way you do. im going to ask him if i can break it down.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Good price if indeed it's a Combat Commander steel slide and frame.
Some of the earlier 80 series guns came through that way whithout the fireing pin block..................
All my 1911's Gov't and Combat Commander are Pre 80 Series......don't want anything blocking my fireing pin, thank you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts