Defensive Carry banner

Colt Commander range report

6009 34

My newest purchase...picked it up last Thursday from the consignment display at Green Mountain Guns. Stainless Colt XSE Combat Commander in 99% condition...previous owner had some enhancement work performed at the Colt custom shop, mostly trigger work I suspect.

Took it to the range yesterday, and ran 150 rounds through it...100 rounds of Brand X hardball and 50 rounds of Winchester Ranger.
It fed the hardball without a hitch...had a few feed failures with the Ranger, however. I could see a shiny spot at the very top of the feed ramp that seemed to be grabbing the nose of the hollow-point....I suspect a little bit of polishing with the dremel tool should help.

The photo shows 50 rounds of hardball at 25 feet...I need to make a small adjustment to the rear sight, and looks like she's ready to go!
I need to order a BladeTech IWB holster for it, and start some practice for my new summer-time carry piece :biggrin:
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Administrator
50,356 Posts
Great TEAM

You know that I have a special appreciation for the Commander size 1911s.
I think they have a near perfect balance (for me) & an EXCEPTIONAL naturally pointing carry handgun.
Congrats on finding yourself a really nice & obviously accurate handgun.
Looks like it has had a few dollars worth of extra effort put into it. :smile:
Very nice. Shoot it good health.

· Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Great piece Rick and appears to be holding a very nice group.

Nice finish too by looks of it :smile:

· Banned
1,549 Posts
That appears to be a XS model, note the 2 cut trigger and the upswept bevertail saftey, hard to see the rear sight, that will tell the diff between the two.

I recently ordered a Colt XSE commander 04012XSE, should pick it up the beginning of this comming week (I can't wait).

Either way you got a real nice sidearm there TA.

· Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bruces45 said:
That appears to be a XS model, note the 2 cut trigger and the upswept bevertail saftey, hard to see the rear sight, that will tell the diff between the two.

I recently ordered a Colt XSE commander 04012XSE, should pick it up the beginning of this comming week (I can't wait).

Either way you got a real nice sidearm there TA.
By golly, you are correct, Sir...the Colt box says it is a model 04012XS, not the XSE (good eye! You know your Colts :smile: ). Oh, well...it's a stainless Commander model that shoots pretty good...I'm happy! :biggrin:

· Administrator
50,356 Posts
Bruce .45

Somebody reward that chimp wid a banana.
That primate sure knows his .45s and there is no "pulling the fur" over his eyes.

· Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you insist... :wink:

Please note....I am not a photographic lighting expert... :redface:

· Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will be placing an order with Blade Tech sometime this week...I really like the holster I bought for my Steyr S40 from them. :cool:

· Banned
1,549 Posts
TA, I'll give you another reason to fondle that beauty, could you lock the slide back and snap a pic of the feed ramp area? Also since that is a enhanced model Colt how is the barrel to slide fit, and lock up? How does that speed bump style grip saftey feel in the hand?

· Administrator
50,356 Posts
Imagine That

Such a nice tight group with that deadly lil pistola and no (FLGR) full length guide rod.
How can that be? :biggrin:

· Administrator
50,356 Posts
You guys caught me sleeping

Yep, there the sonovagun is right inside the doggone recoil spring.
Right in there where it should be sitting.:dead:
Consider me as having had my tushy whupped.
OK...now I'm going out and buying a bunch of FLGRs.:biggrin:
Did I put my foot in my mouth? :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.