Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove over to Gunsite Academy today. It's a little bit over an hour's drive from my home in Flagstaff. It seemed like a pretty big place, and the folks I met were friendly enough.

At the Gunsite Gunsmithy, I had a chance to look over the three Colt Gunsite offerings, as well as a S & W Gunsite pistol too.

I've been very happy with the Colt Mark IV / Series 70 Government Model I have, and thought I'd add the Gunsite CCO. It has the features I wanted in a concealed carry gun, and that's why I made the drive over to Paulden, AZ where Gunsite is located.

I won't set out the Gunsite CCO pistol's features, but they're located here: http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/Gunsite.asp . I also picked up a couple of Wilson Combat 7 round mags as the CCO model came with only the stock 6 round mags.

Here's a couple of photos I lifted from the internet. My camera skills aren't so great, and these pictures are what my gun looks like, though with a different serial number. I'll post a range report next week.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I love the CCO concept: Commander sized slide/barrel and Officer's ACP (preferrably lightweight) frame.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
srfl said:
I love the CCO concept: Commander sized slide/barrel and Officer's ACP (preferrably lightweight) frame.
That's why I love my Kimber CDP Compact so much.

IMO it's the perfect 1911 CCW platform.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
The above Gunsite weapons don't have the features that I think are valuable to have in a CCW. My Kimber UC CDP II has them. Also,I don't like the idea of paying the extra prices for the Gunsite logo's.(same as Thunder Ranch) I realize that these are probably some fine weapons.....BUT....for the price ???

I own and compete with a Colt MKIV/70 also. I will never get rid of it,but for CC the little Kimber is what i feel that I need.-------

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
acparmed said:
That's why I love my Kimber CDP Compact so much.

(SNIP)
.....and I love my Kimber Combat Carry (predecessor to the CDP Compact).

·
Administrator
143,593 Posts
Nick

Great Pistol...Congrats!

Nice size - Nice sights - rowel hammer - shorter trigger - Very Nice carry firearm. Shoot it in good health.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
congratz allways great to snag a new toy , i hope you didnt need too much vasoline on the purchace LOL

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Great looking pistol!!! Keep us posted on how ya like it !

·
Registered
28 Posts
RSSZ, what "features" are you referring to?

Nick, please include a range report once you've put some rounds through her. I do have a question: how thick are the stocks on your CCO? I thought that they came with thin grips, yet in the picture you posted the grip is thick enough to cover the plunger tube. Most thin grips don't cover the plunger tube, thus it sparked my interest. Thanks

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jeff S. said:
RSSZ, what "features" are you referring to?

Nick, please include a range report once you've put some rounds through her. I do have a question: how thick are the stocks on your CCO? I thought that they came with thin grips, yet in the picture you posted the grip is thick enough to cover the plunger tube. Most thin grips don't cover the plunger tube, thus it sparked my interest. Thanks
The Rosewood Slimtech grips are made by ALTAMONT COMPANY. Here's some information on them from the Brownell's website:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=257&s

which sells them:

Very Thin Panels Increase Gripping Ease For Smaller Hands

Ultra-thin grip panels increase your hand’s pressure on the front strap and grip safety for a more secure grip, no matter what size your hand is. Thin contour helps cut down on unwanted bulk for carry or concealed pistols, plus lets the trigger finger wrap farther around the grip to improve reach for shooters with small hands or short fingers.

LASER-CUT - Durable, laminated wood panels have flat-top, laser cut checkering in a beveled, double-diamond pattern to help increase grip friction. Complete with special, thin-line bushings and screws.

SPECS: Laminated Dymondwood, .150" (3.8mm) thick. Rosewood or Walnut color. Govt. fits Government and Commander frames. OFF. ACP fits Officers ACP.
The pictures I posted up top were of another Gunsite Colt CCO. I borrowed those pictures from the internet because my camera skills are poor. The grips look the same though.

Took the Colt CCO to the range today. It worked right out of the box as the Gunsite folks said it would. No failures or malfunctions. It looks like it'll make a great carry gun. Thanks for asking.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
grnzbra said:
What's that little thingie sticking up under the "N" on the port side?
That's the slide stop notch.

(p.s. I'm a big Sopranos fan)

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
The features that"I think are valuable" in a CCW that the above weapon does not look to have are : adjustable trigger,not long enough safety( can't tell if it's deeply grooved or checkered, if not it needs to be), front strap very sharply checkered(the sharper the better and the more area the better),underside of trigger guard checkered,night sights,ambi safety(this is a biggie). I also would rather not have the forward "press check"grooves on my slide.

For my carry weapon I would also rather have more stainless(except frame) also. And really wish that the front of my trigger guard was checkered.-------

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Nick I've never met you but I hate you already. I have been dreaming of a CCO and the new one from Gunsite is the best of the best. Congrats and enjoy it you have one of the best "carry" 45's out there.

Fed

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Steve!!! Where ya bin dude?! I guess fittin' in all those air miles :wink:

I too could well ''manage'' nicely with a CCO - even tho not up to the max 1911 aspect of so many here. Oh my - they say jealousy is sinful - Ok, I have sinned :18:

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
fed_wif_a_sig said:
Nick I've never met you but I hate you already. I have been dreaming of a CCO and the new one from Gunsite is the best of the best. Congrats and enjoy it you have one of the best "carry" 45's out there.

Fed
Thanks for the congrats, and I hope you get yourself one. It handles great, and has been very accurate. It carries real well too.

I'd been thinking about driving there since February. It was just a matter of time before I gave in to temptation.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Nice, I'll have Wilson Combat do the work to my Colt...
Susan at Gunsite told me they aren't taking in any outside work.

·
Super Moderator
22,006 Posts
Nick,

Great looking pistol. :hand10:
IMO, it isn't lacking anything you'd really need on a carry piece. Something mentioned, you wouldn't want.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts