Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like Colt has finally listened to the market and are reintroducing at least the first iteration of their legendary snake guns.
coltcobra2016.jpg
New From Colt: Cobra .38 Revolver - The Truth About Guns

Not much info yet but no matter what I'm glad to see another manufacturer get back into the wheelgun market. I assume that the Cobra will be the first snake gun brought back into production with the Pythons, Anacondas etc not far behind.

IMO they will probably be overpriced because there will be at least $150 tacked onto the price just for the Colt name. And I wonder if they can equal or better the original snake guns and their quality from hand fitting.

No matter what, more revolvers in this plastic striker fired world is a good thing.

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts
Well, Colt has been saying wait , something was coming ... Nothing like an all steel, well made revolver

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I would love to get a Colt revolver, but I fear I will never be able to justify the cost. I am a Colt fan boy though. I would pay a little extra just because it says Colt even though it's probably no better then a quality S&W.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Based on these guns' reputation and following, I bet they'll be very spendy. Especially if they reintroduce the magnums.
Probably cheaper than the Korth revolvers made by Nighthawk Custom. I am curious to see how the quality compares to their guns of yesteryear.

·
Premium Member
8,416 Posts
I expect they are competitively priced. Modern manufacturing techniques should reduce the labor involved in making a Colt DA revolver since the last time they were made.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I expect they are competitively priced. Modern manufacturing techniques should reduce the labor involved in making a Colt DA revolver since the last time they were made.
I agree about the pricing, but depending on demand and availability they may bring a premium over MSRP.

·
Super Moderator
19,885 Posts
IMO they will probably be overpriced because there will be at least $150 tacked onto the price just for the Colt name. And I wonder if they can equal or better the original snake guns and their quality from hand fitting.
A friend worked at the West Hartford plant designing new tooling for Colt in the 80s. All that hand fitting that Colt was famous for was a necessity due to sloppy design and fabrication tolerances, which led to wide dimensional variations from part to part. My friend worked on new tooling for the pistols because Colt was essentially out of the mainstream revolver business at that point. In order to keep prices reasonable I'm sure Colt took the new tooling approach for any new revolvers, so any significant hand-fitting should be a thing of the past - for better or worse.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Colt cant make a revolver at a fair price these days,even the 1911s they make are
overpriced BUT
If they brought back the Python it would be fantastic but staggeringly high in price which IMO
is the one everyone wants ,no one cares about a .38 cobra

·
Registered
241 Posts
They lost me with the Fiber optics front site. I just bought a Kimber K6S. I've had lot of Smith Wesson and Ruger's over the years but the fit finish and smooth trigger blows them away. The Kimber reminds me of the Colt revolvers form years past. I wonder if Colt will cheapen out and use MIM or castings. Yes I know Kimber's customer sucks hopefully I'll never need it.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts