1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
8,646 Posts
When I worked in the scuba industry, we saw tremendous consolidation of the business as smaller companies were snapped up by larger ones. This happened in the late 1990s and accelerated from 2000-2010. This is not surprising in the firearms industry as the larger conglomerates snap up the smaller companies. I suspect we will continue to see this type of thing happening.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
It’s possible Colt found out they either need to drastically improve the value of their long guns relative to other makers, or face unsustainable financial losses.

If they can’t compete, ceding that saturated market to others isn’t a bad call, as long as they reinvest in other areas they can grow market share in.

·
Registered
34,623 Posts
Colt has been sliding downhill since it lost its military contract. Apparently its long-gun sales don't merit its expenses. The competition for ARs and components is stiff.

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
It’s possible Colt found out they either need to drastically improve the value of their long guns relative to other makers, or face unsustainable financial losses.

If they can’t compete, ceding that saturated market to others isn’t a bad call, as long as they reinvest in other areas they can grow market share in.
But what area could they grow market share in? Their ARs were a gold standard. They are known for 1911s, but every manufacturer is making 1911s now, some better than Colt. They only seem to be expanding in DA revolvers. That will probably be somewhat successful, but I don't see it setting the house afire.

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
I think that @graydude is right in saying:
I think there is an obvious reason that he is on the right track. Cot is making Assault Rifles. This guns are being demonized, banned in some states, and under threat of a national ban. Then consider that AR type weapons are commonly available at lower prices tha Colt offers. Some people can afford the finest guns. Others, like me, cannot. If I were to buy an AR type rifle it would. not be a colt because of their prices compared t other suitable choices.

Add al that up and I would suggest that Colt made a good business decision. Now it can concentrate on handguns, the very items that made Colt famous and respected.

Reactions: graydude

·
Super Moderator
21,933 Posts
And then Tactical Applications Consulting & Training says:

September 11, 2019 at 14:44

Fake News Alert!

My contact at Colt (very high on the Colt food chain) confirmed they ARE NOT suspending them, but prioritizing international, Gov, and LE orders above commercial due to immediate demand.

They’re still shipping, but just a bit slower than usual.
As with every rumor concerning Colt, I'll believe it when I see it.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
I read that article on TTAG a few days ago. I guess it is not really a surprise.

I think Colt has four main problems, so are AR specific.

1. Massive competition in the AR market.
2. Pricing. They are pretty expensive for the features.
3. UAW- Colt has done nothing to escape from the unions. Just too hard to compete when other companies are manufacturing in the free states.
4. Brand- I think Colt is a Boomer brand like Harley Davidson and has difficulty attracting the younger generations.

Now, I do not really agree with all of those points. I am a Gen Xer and really like Colt. Harley too. But the people younger than men are where those brands are struggling.

·
Registered
Pistoleer
494 Posts
Colt AR's have always been expensive. Now that there will be no more made from them for the civilian market the remaining ones will skyrocket up in price.

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
Pretty sure this is fake news.

ETA: I see it has been confirmed now that it is. The interesting thing though is, them prioritizing military contracts is what got them in this financial situation to begin with.

·
Super Moderator
21,933 Posts
Pretty sure this is fake news.

ETA: I see it has been confirmed now that it is. The interesting thing though is, them prioritizing military contracts is what got them in this financial situation to begin with.
Confirmed by whom?

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
Confirmed by whom?
I was referring to your post. The TTAG article is the only thing I could find on the internet saying they were stopping sales. Nothing from Colt, or anyone else.

Reactions: gatorbait51 and OD*

·
Super Moderator
21,933 Posts
Read my above post, (#7) I said "As with every rumor concerning Colt, I'll believe it when I see it."

I misread Havok's post, I thought he meant Colt stopping sales to civilian's had been confirmed. I didn't believe it to be true.

Just like Colt is out of business, which first took life in 1984. :wink:

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
I thought Colt confirmed it in the TTAG update:

UPDATE: TTAG was able to speak directly with Paul Spitale, Senior Vice President of Colt’s commercial business line. He confirmed the above. Colt has halted production of its commercial long guns lines and is focusing its manufacturing and sales on 1911s and revolvers.

He also stressed that Colt has about 110 days of long gun inventory in its distribution network and if market conditions change down the road, they could revisit this decision.

·
Registered
697 Posts
This could just be a marketing ploy. The management might be thinking lots of people would run right out to scoop up some Colt rifles while they still can. It could possibly work for the short term. If they restart production later a lot of these same buyers will be so POed they will never buy Colt again.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Sad to see, but not surprising at all. We sell very few actual Colt's in my shop.

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
I asked a friend at a distributor about this today. He said he hasnt heard anything about them stopping sales, but he did say he has heard production is slowing. Didnt sound like it was an official thing though, based on my interpretation.

Reactions: gatorbait51 and OD*

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Generally when the political pendulum swings against guns, gun sales explode (particularly for the items that draw the most attention from those who hate guns). Seems like right now is not the best time for a maker of AR rifles to stop making ARs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts