Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Really new at this... Looking at a AR 15 and was wondering if Colt is a reputable Company in the AR Platform? Also, what is the desired barrel twist? The model I am looking at has a chrome lined barrel with a 1 in 7" barrel twist... Thanks for any replies

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I looked at them really hard when I started testing the water. In the end I went with a 308 variant from another company. I'm sure Colt makes great rifles, but I've never fired one. The 223/556 rifle I almost bought was from Bravo Company. I've heard really good things about them.

Remember, the perfect gun is a Unicorn.

It is confusing, but remember that the search is part of the fun. Take your time, learn, and have fun with the research.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Absolutely! After all, they are the ones that introduced the AR-15 platform in 1960, so they've been doing it longer than anybody else! You would be buying a piece of history.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Can't go wrong with a Colt 6920. It's basically identical to the US militarys M4 rifles. Only real difference is it has a 16" barrel and a semi auto lower. All other components are identical. I recently put together a naked version for my wife. They offer a 6920 OEM-1 and OEM-2. The OEM-1 comes without any furniture and the OEM-2 comes without furniture and a low profile pinned gas block. This way you can save money on furniture you might have not wanted in the first place.
Resized_20160512_203628.jpg
20161202_231522.jpg

As others have said a Colt has historically kept it's value over other brands mainly due to the name. It's a good rifle and a good investment IMO. Buy once, cry once as they say.

·
Registered
6,368 Posts
Colt is the industry standard and will hold it's value much better than many of the other brands! 1/7 is what most of the newer Colts are. FWIW, 1/8 and and 1/9 are not bad either depending on what weight ammo is used. Good luck!

Reactions: rcsoftexas and OD*

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
Yep colt is the gold cup for AR ...

Reactions: rcsoftexas

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Nothing wrong with a Colt; it's the standard of "good" AR's.
If you're buying for serious purposes, 1/7 is the way to go. For a range toy, I'd stick with a 1/9.

·
Registered
598 Posts
To be correct, the Armalite Division of the Fairchild Aircraft Corp developed the AR-15 (Armalite Rifle). They sold all rights and manufacturing documentation to Colt. In 1962 the US DoD Advanced Research Projects Agency purchased 1000 AR-15 rifles from Colt and sent those rifles to South Vietnam for field trials.

Project AGILE & the M16 Rifle

Absolutely! After all, they are the ones that introduced the AR-15 platform in 1960, so they've been doing it longer than anybody else! You would be buying a piece of history.

Reactions: chp1911 and Rhodie2

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So the particular Colt Models I am looking at mention 223/5.56 in their descriptions. I assume the rifle is capable of shooting both cartridges with the military version 5.56 being of higher pressure, is this a correct statement? Lots to learn here, been watching a boat load of youtube videos and reading blogs etc.... From what I have been reading is the 1/7 barrel twist it somewhat sought after, is this true. Thanks.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Yes. A rifle chambered for 5.56 NATO can fire a .223, but a rifle chambered for .223 should not fire a 5.56 NATO round.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2013/3/4/223-remington-vs-556-whats-in-a-name/

http://www.le.vistaoutdoor.com/downloads/technical_bulletins/223VS556.pdf

http://www.saami.org/specifications...1-Unsafe_Arms_and_Ammunition_Combinations.pdf

So the particular Colt Models I am looking at mention 223/5.56 in their descriptions. I assume the rifle is capable of shooting both cartridges with the military version 5.56 being of higher pressure, is this a correct statement? Lots to learn here, been watching a boat load of youtube videos and reading blogs etc.... From what I have been reading is the 1/7 barrel twist it somewhat sought after, is this true. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Colt is good to go. 1 in 7 twist is what I like in a 16 inch barrel with 62g or heavier bullets, ain't saying there is anything wrong with 50g bullets.

Reactions: rcsoftexas

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is great news. Just learned there is a Shooting Club 50 miles from where I live that has a Trap/Skeet Range, Indoor Rifle/Pistol and an outdoor range of 100/200/300 yard distances, their is no caliber restrictions for the outdoor range, website say up to 50BMG. Looks like they will have a new member soon. I live by a indoor pistol range (3miles) but probably for Insurance purposes you are only allowed to shoot their ammo they sell, no outside ammo can be used. I instead drive an hour to another indoor pistol range that allows users to bring their own ammo, plus the range has other perks. Now this Shooting Club I mentioned in my opening sentance sounds like it would be a lot of fun...

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I have an old Colt AR-15 SP1 from the early 1980s. It still handles very well after all these years. I believe mine has a 1 in 9 inch twist since it was designed for a lighter bullet. The 1 in 7 inch twist works better for the heavier bullets made today.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts