Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
11,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only had one course in the use of a tactical shotgun, but I think this video with Clint Smith is pretty good. If you don't have a lot of shotgun experience, it's worth watching.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Shotgun is my weapon of choice in a SHTF situation, I grew up shooting a shotgun before most children had a Red Rider.

My shotgun of choice is a standard issue pump, nothing fancy here.

·
Premium Member
5,875 Posts
I learned how versatile a shotgun can be many years ago in training; they truly are good for many purposes. I personally don't think there is a better home defense weapon, used properly.

·
Registered
45,327 Posts
Wish I still had the body to take one of his classes.
Sleeve Wood Electric blue Everyday carry Gun accessory

More than adequate for the boundaries of my property.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Excellent video. Thanks for finding it, and posting the link.

My preferred defensive long gun is the shotgun. In 2016, I transitioned to an auto-loading Benelli M2, for police duty and personal defense. My long-serving Remington 870P pump then became a niche weapon, with a Pachmayr Vindicator pistol grip. (My favored pumping arm’s wrist and shoulder started having issues, which are mitigated when I am not holding the shotgun so far forward, and am shoving forward with one hand, while pulling rearward with the other hand.)

I had developed a “rhythm” issue, with pump guns, short-stroking, on occasion, after 30+ years of never short-stroking. I was able to fix this, with coaching, installing a shorter stock, as recommended by the instructor, and diligent training. But, no sooner had I fixed the short-stroking, than my pumping arm wore itself out, so, M2 Benelli time. (My employer authorized the Remington 870, and/or the Benelli M1 and/or M2; personal purchase, of course.)

I had previously used an HK-era Benelli M1 Super 90, in the early Nineties. Its stock design was brutal, to my shoulder, however, so I soon reverted to being a full-time pump-gunner. Today’s Comfort Tech stock is SO much better. I attended my employer’s in-house Tactical Shotgun course, with the new-to-me Benelli. It was one of the best, most dynamic shooting courses I have ever attended, and showed that our command staff was starting to take things seriously. It was not just the shooting, itself, but the tactics were seriously real-world.

When the 2017 Super Bowl came to town, I knew that I would be working a fixed post, at or near a street barricade. That was during a time when terrorists, in Europe, had been stealing “lorries,” as the BBC presenters put it, and then driving the stolen vehicles into crowds of pedestrians. With my Benelli M2, loaded with fresh Federal TruBall Penetrator slugs, I was actually better-equipped to shoot into vehicle body sheet metal than most of the SWAT guys, who were armed with their usual AR15 carbines. (Of course, some few SWAT guys had select-fire M14 rifles, but, they were few.)

Usually, of course, my load of choice was “tactical” or full-velocity 00 buck, depending upon availability, with #4 buck being an authorized option, for PD duty. (I worked for a PD that expected us to provide our own duty ammo. We did receive an equipment allowance.) Since retirement, I have started buying #1 buck, also.

·
Registered
11,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excellent video. Thanks for finding it, and posting the link.

My preferred defensive long gun is the shotgun. In 2016, I transitioned to an auto-loading Benelli M2, for police duty and personal defense. My long-serving Remington 870P pump then became a niche weapon, with a Pachmayr Vindicator pistol grip. (My favored pumping arm’s wrist and shoulder started having issues, which are mitigated when I am not holding the shotgun so far forward, and am shoving forward with one hand, while pulling rearward with the other hand.)

I had developed a “rhythm” issue, with pump guns, short-stroking, on occasion, after 30+ years of never short-stroking. I was able to fix this, with coaching, installing a shorter stock, as recommended by the instructor, and diligent training. But, no sooner had I fixed the short-stroking, than my pumping arm wore itself out, so, M2 Benelli time. (My employer authorized the Remington 870, and/or the Benelli M1 and/or M2; personal purchase, of course.)

I had previously used an HK-era Benelli M1 Super 90, in the early Nineties. Its stock design was brutal, to my shoulder, however, so I soon reverted to being a full-time pump-gunner. Today’s Comfort Tech stock is SO much better.

When the 2017 Super Bowl came to town, I knew that I would be working a fixed post, at or near a street barricade. That was during a time when terrorists, in Europe, had been stealing “lorries,” as the BBC presenters put it, and then driving the stolen vehicles into crowds of pedestrians. With my Benelli M2, loaded with fresh Federal TruBall Penetrator slugs, I was actually better-equipped to shoot into vehicle body sheet metal than most of the SWAT guys, who were armed with their usual AR15 carbines. (Of course, some few SWAT guys had select-fire M14 rifles, but, they were few.)

Usually, of course, my load of choice was “tactical” or full-velocity 00 buck, depending upon availability, with #4 buck being an authorized option, for PD duty. (I worked for a PD that expected us to provide our own duty ammo. We did receive an equipment allowance.) Since retirement, I have started buying #1 buck, also.
I learned to shoot shotgun with a Benelli M2.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
I've disposed of one of my two Winchester 1200 20 gauges...and my best 1200 12 ga came back home, so, for now, I'm not into semiauto. If I get weak and crippledy, a 20 ga of high quality will be my move. I've been soooooo tempted to buy a 20 Shockwave, but have resisted so far...I know it can't hold a candle to a short pump with a real stock. I think the 20 ga 1200 is the finest shotgun I've ever had.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I'm still running a 870 Police Magnum as a patrol shotgun and for home defense. I do have a Beretta 390 12 gauge for hunting, that I enjoy shooting.

Would love a Benelli M2, M3, M4 or the Beretta 1301 for the home defense role but can't justify the cost at this time. Thanks for sharing the video.

·
Registered
7,965 Posts
I got a course in with FPF Training a couple weeks back, working on the aar. Lots of 1301’s, which I ran also, two really nice custom Vang 870’s, and some 590’s. Everything ran great, really good instruction. Used the “Stretch” the gun technique, (pull on the grip, push aggressively on the fore end, float the stock in against your shoulder/chest pocket), 150 low brass, more than 50 buck and a box of slugs later and not a mark on my shoulder/chest. A bit tight the next day, learn that technique, takes all the thump out of high brass 12g and makes for quick transitions/follow up.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
I got a course in with FPF Training a couple weeks back, working on the aar. Lots of 1301’s, which I ran also, two really nice custom Vang 870’s, and some 590’s. Everything ran great, really good instruction. Used the “Stretch” the gun technique, (pull on the grip, push aggressively on the fore end, float the stock in against your shoulder/chest pocket), 150 low brass, more than 50 buck and a box of slugs later and not a mark on my shoulder/chest. A bit tight the next day, learn that technique, takes all the thump out of high brass 12g and makes for quick transitions/follow up.
Sounds like how you shoot a Shockwave...you're holding the gun out in front of you so there's no impact on your shoulder.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Sounds like how you shoot a Shockwave...you're holding the gun out in front of you so there's no impact on your shoulder.
Not really. The shotgun butt stock is seated just inside your shoulder just like Clint descibed in the video. The butt stock is physically touching your shoulder, just not deeply embedded. It is not held away from your body like the Shockwave. Your grip (trigger) hand is pulling the gun into your body. The hand on the fore end is pulling the gun away from your body --'"stretching" the shotgun. This technique, coupled with a quality recoil pad, lessens felt recoil and saves a lot of wear and tear on the shoulder area.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts