Defensive Carry banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I thought woman gave up armored panties after the medieval age.
Nah...the manufacturers probably just won the "panty line" war. I distinctly remember women complaining about such things a long time ago.

They may never win the "body armor line" war though.

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
I have bought good soft Armor for two of our boys. And chipped in for a third. All three have Leo jobs. I don't think I could wear one for 8 hours a day. I do have a friend that is a lawyer. He had a brief case made that when the shield is released the case unfolds into a 18" x 36" shield that is rated to stop a .357 mag. If you are in your car in a riot you unfold the shield and close it in the door frame to hold it up and you can peer out through the slit handle. sort of a viewing port. I know he paid a fortune for his but its also covered in exotic leather.
The company that made his also makes armored back packs in child sizes and adult. Some have a folded bib that deploys over the head and covers the chest. the back also is made of bullet resistant material. The point is you don't have to wear those God Awful hot armor all the time to have one ready.
Now if I was riding all day in a cop car You bet it would be worth wearing a vest. And they make an under vest that has cooling tubes that you can pump ice water through. The down side is that under vest weighs the same as a quart of water. DR

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have a cast-off computer bag for a laptop with a 17" + screen with an 11X15 Level IIIA Soft Plate in it. You can use the shoulder strap to hang it around your neck if need be.

Reactions: dangerranger

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
I have a cast-off computer bag for a laptop with a 17" + screen with an 11X15 Level IIIA Soft Plate in it. You can use the shoulder strap to hang it around your neck if need be.
If your cast off bag has a front flap, you could add a second soft panel and expand the coverage to 15 x 22! A lot of back packs now have a space for a laptop that easily accept Kevlar panels too. I gave several out of date armor panels to friends to cut the ballistic panels to fit their kids packs. At this point they are not certified but it was a good use for them. DR

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
Here's a couple good examples,

and one that converts to a vest,

Be sure to scan down to the video.

Both of these company's also sell inserts for lap top bags or your own bags. I don't have any conection to either of these. A search on the net shows that stores like Office depot and even Bed Bath and Beyond sell ballistic products! So they are becoming very well accepted! Good Luck all! DR

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
It's amazing what you find on the net!

and kid sized vests! a lot of this seems to come out of Israel. They also have bullet resistant diaper bags and what look like blankets. DR

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I guess I'm going to have to research the subject of "cutting" soft armor. I wonder what that does to change the properties of the panel? I guess I asked myself a question that will result in some homework.

Reactions: dangerranger

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
SOFT body armor inserts are usually called "Panels".
Depends on who is selling them.

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
I guess I'm going to have to research the subject of "cutting" soft armor. I wonder what that does to change the properties of the panel? I guess I asked myself a question that will result in some homework.
You can buy the Kevlar material on E bay, and make what ever size or shape you want. The only problem then is you get no testing or certification with it. Its not hard to cut. I think the standard for 3A protection is about 11 layers. but that would depend on the weave of your material. DR

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
Here's another shield product that is made as a chair pad, or stadium seat pad.
It has no labels so no one would know it is bullet resistant! It would work well in a school or office setting. And again you don't have to wear it around all day! DR

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
My cousin was with a local city PD back in the 80’s and then transferred to the County SD. The city didn’t ask for his vest back so, he gave it to me. It’s a Safariland Level IIIa, I believe. Stops up to .44 Magnum rounds. It has pockets front and back that accept steel/ceramic plates if you want to upgrade. Question: It’s been hanging in the closet, will age have degraded its protection?

Reactions: OldChap

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
My cousin was with a local city PD back in the 80’s and then transferred to the County SD. The city didn’t ask for his vest back so, he gave it to me. It’s a Safariland Level IIIa, I believe. Stops up to .44 Magnum rounds. It has pockets front and back that accept steel/ceramic plates if you want to upgrade. Question: It’s been hanging in the closet, will age have degraded its protection?
Age will degrade its rating, I have shot at several vests and panels that are out of date, and not one has failed. What does make them fail is over cleaning. That's why the panels are removable from most vests so you can wash the carrier. Constant sweating in them means you have to get them cleaned or they would develop a smell. But hanging in a closet should not hurt them. A lot of departments donate their old vests to cops in third world country's. The vests still work for them. Yours hanging in a closet should be fine. DR

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Reactions: ugh762x39
21 - 34 of 34 Posts