Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your Max range to engage a target at with a rifle?? obviously it depends a lot on you set up so list that as well.

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
1000-1200...gotta have the equipment for it:smile: Realistically though you need everything perfect for that.

EDIT: Comftorably....300-700 yds.

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
For hunting, I don't shoot much past 150 yards. I'm hardly starving to death and don't need the meat that bad.

For target shooting, I'm okay out to 300 yards. I'm not a doper, but am proficient with Kentucky windage.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
depends on my weapon platform. ..270 i am good to about 250-300 yds. 30-30...125-150.... AR15.... 275-300 ish.... these are all hunting distances and relevant to my chosen sighting system.

·
Premium Member
37,056 Posts
My .308 Remington is uber-reliable out to 800 yards, and less so out to 1000. At those ranges, knowing the distance and wind speed/direction is much more important than anything going on with the rifle or shooter.

·
Super Moderator
18,842 Posts
I've competed to 600 yards and shot to infinity. Mike1956 speaks truth.

Reactions: atctimmy

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My .308 Remington is uber-reliable out to 800 yards, and less so out to 1000. At those ranges, knowing the distance and wind speed/direction is much more important than anything going on with the rifle or shooter.
My passion is long range shooting. Knowing the wind elevation and ballistics is the most important and then having the equipment to handle it helps! I shoot for sport not meat so I enjoy only the long shots.

·
8,501 Posts
I guess it would depend on whether or not I could escape and evade. If it was only 100 yds but I was in a good position to scoot I would do so without a pressing reason to engage.

With .223/5.56 I'd say about 600. With my .308 I'd say out to 1000.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
...but am proficient with Kentucky windage.
Henceforth, please use Palmetto Windage. With Steve Spurrier in South Carolina, you've got plenty of wind blowin' around! :biggrin2:

Reactions: scgunlover1

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
It does depend on weapons systems.

But I am comfortable with 500 yards or so with an AR.

Furthest I have ever shot (purposefully) was somewhere in the 1000-1200 yard range. But that was with a tripod mounted Ma Deuce. But I was hitting vehicle sized targets at that range.

It also depends on if we are talking about engaging a point target or area target.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
160 or 170 FEET... yes, I suck!

Reactions: atctimmy

·
Registered
20,334 Posts
It depends on you. For myself, 500 yards with an AR, and farther out with a different platform and optics.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
With my .308, 300-500 yards. In .223 configuration, just in my experience, I find this bullet to get a bit squirrelly past 300 yards. However, Mike1956 above said it best.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With the big hammer, if I have all my goodies out range finder bench etc. I am a happy camper out to around 1500yards.

·
8,501 Posts
With the big hammer, if I have all my goodies out range finder bench etc. I am a happy camper out to around 1500yards.
And the big hammer is?

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
1943 M1 Garand.jpg

This is a friends M1 Garand. The target is maybe 40-45 yards. I am somewhat Far Sighted. With my BiFocals i could not make out target. without i could just make out target. DSCN4287.jpg

For my first time shooting a hi powered rifle at distance, i am pretty proud of this.

Reactions: NONAME762

·
8,501 Posts
View attachment 73995

This is a friends M1 Garand. The target is maybe 40-45 yards. I am somewhat Far Sighted. With my BiFocals i could not make out target. without i could just make out target. View attachment 73996

For my first time shooting a hi powered rifle at distance, i am pretty proud of this.
For years I wondered why some people couldn't shoot worth a darn, the arrogance of youth I guess. Rifle shooting always came easy to me....Now that I'm in my 40s I realize that it's all about vision. If you can't see the target or the sight picture then you won't shoot well. For now my vision is still OK but it will never be what it was.

I'm sorry you have bad vision. A magnified optic may work wonders for you. I suggest you try a rifle with a scope on it.

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
View attachment 73995

This is a friends M1 Garand. The target is maybe 40-45 yards. I am somewhat Far Sighted. With my BiFocals i could not make out target. without i could just make out target. View attachment 73996

The best shot I ever made was with a scoped Remington BA at 300 yards. My shot hit the paper on a 4x8 sheet of plywood.

I was tickled pink just hitting the paper. That was 18 years ago.

·
Premium Member
37,056 Posts
The best shot I ever made was with a scoped Remington BA at 300 yards. My shot hit the paper on a 4x8 sheet of plywood.

I was tickled pink just hitting the paper. That was 18 years ago.
How big was the paper?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts