Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I quote this from a post made elsewhere - by whom is unimportant but - it does suggest to me that to a degree, wherever displaced folks are gonna show up - there will also be jailbirds as well as gang types etc. I here this evening three planeloads are being taken way up North even - to Utah!

Therefore - anyone within range of such places should IMO upgrade their awareness levels - in towns and cities in particular, because as I see it - there are gonna be wolves on the loose.

For many of us this won't be an issue but for some - I do think it will. They should be prepared.

When the NOLA refugee busses arrived at Reunion Arena, a sizable number of the refugees literally ran off the busses and hightailed it into downtown instead of Reunion. If you recall, the NOLA jails & prisons have been emptied and quite a bit of looting, kidnapping, murder, raping & such has occurred. The Dallas Police Dept and City Council think that those folks, who arrived with pretty much the clothes on their backs, are some of that type and expect them to get what they need not through relief agencies, but through the means they used in NOLA.

The representatives of the Dallas City Council have, uh, "recommended a heightened level of security" in downtown Dallas, especially in the downtown churches on Sundays.

·
Super Moderator
25,605 Posts
Washington DC sent 10 buses, the news tonight said that they hadn't made any pickups yet.

Guess that means that you don't want to come to DC even if your house is gone and you're starving! :hand4:

Besides, even if DC got the worst, who'd notice? :wink:

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I just found out that Springfield's going to get about 2000 of them. This is a pretty quiet, low-crime town (maybe 4 murders per year) and we don't have much of a gang-problem. It'll be interesting to see if anything changes.

·
Registered
7,319 Posts
Chris
I just found out last night, that Massachusetts is using a Closed Military Base on Cape Cod for the displaced "refugees" Gov Mitt Romney (Ma) is asking the cities and towns of Ma that they are allowed to become permenant Citizens of that State. :rolleyes:
N H is quite possibly going to get displaced people also from the N O area. :eek:
I'm sure, that with such "good news" we'll all sleep a little better at night. For me, I believe I'll keep something handy for just such an occasion. With all that has happened down there, I'll be very curious to see what happens to the rest of the Country, due to this mass exodus. :eek:

·
Registered
139 Posts
My original hometown, Omaha, is expecting 500-1000 soon. Originally to be put up at the new arena downtown, which is only 15 blks from the projects. The news anchor was practically gushing like the city is lucky to receive them.

This could be a blessing if these folks take on the attributes/ethics of the communities that they find themselves relocated to, or a curse if they decide to maintian the status quo. Even if they don't make some lifestyle changes, possibly future generations will. In any event, I'm willing to bet that less than 10% return permanently to NO.

·
Registered
998 Posts
600 and counting have arrived at the 4H camp back in my hometown. My mother said some looked like trouble, but most were just interested in a bath, clean clothes, and a bed. When it fills up they are going to start housing them on college campuses. That could lead to some big trouble if the wrong sort comes in there.

·
Registered
7,319 Posts
I'm sure they're coming my way to NH. The people up here won't put up with the BS, especially if it ever turned to higher crime rates. I'm sure they'll be placed in the areas that will help "blend them in" It will be VERY interesting to see what happens after that.

·
Registered
484 Posts
1000 in Tucson, another 100 in Phoenix. We had an inmate crew load up our extra brand new mattresses and towels to ship to Phoenix for the refugees arriving there. Hopefully they will become productive members of the community eventually, but i vote for giving them a little time to settle down, and breathe.
Washington DC busses empty? Maybe they figured the professional crooks already have that town sewn up tight....

·
Registered
814 Posts
San Antonio has already gotten 25K and that's just the ones placed on buses. I'm sure there are those that are in town that had the presnce of mind to get out B4 the storm.
Friend of mine is on the S.A.P.D. said many of the people who got off the buses hoofed it away without ever going inro the shelters (wonder why?-Not) My situational awareness is usually pretty good, but it will be a little sharperfrom now on.

I'm all for helping someone in need, whether they need food, shelter, or an acute case of 'lead poisoning'.

Have cancelled my business travel for the next couple of weeks until I see how all this settles in.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
10,000 are comming to Michigan, and over 1,000 to Battle Creek where I live. The question was brought up how long are they going to stay?

I susspect they do not plan on ever going back, mostly these people are the ones too poor to have made the trip any other way and this is a one way ticket. In short any area that accepts the refugees is going to have to eventually assorb them into their welfare system.

Of course in Mi we have one advantage, as soon as winter hits especially oh about January when it hits -10 they will want to get the heck out of here for some place warmer, actually so do I.

·
Registered
950 Posts
First of all lets realize that we are all Americans and that we should be willing to take care of our own. Secondly, yes some communities can expect to be affected by the influx of people from different parts of the country. However, most of these people have nothing and displaced, most are sick and hungry and believe it or not most will miss home and have the desire to return to NOLA. I would not change my vigilance or awareness just because we have fellow Americans coming to your cities (I dare not call them refugees).

However do beaware of those who did not come from NOLA and may seek to get over on you with crocodile tears. Moreover, it is during these times when the wolves do come out and seek to influence and take advantage of the helpless. So, lets be vigilant and aware and willing to help, but at the same time lets not be afraid to defend if needed.

It is times like these that I miss my old unit and wish I was able to be down there helping out. Cleaning out the bad guys that are roaming NOLA taking shots at my brothers in arms. Anyway lets show the world why America is the Best in the World. :cool:

·
Registered
950 Posts
P.S. Post,.....the only ones that will be housed on college campuses are those who were in Universities and this will be checked and their respective Univerisites will be billed. They will be in class not plotting.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I got this email from my sister today. She helped out at the 4H center yesterday.

I arrived at 11:30 am on Sunday at Rock Eagle and left at 5:10 am Monday
morning, helping out. I made beds for 5 hours and drove a golf cart for 11
hours with some other odds and ends thrown in between. I heard and saw some
of the saddest things I've ever seen in my life. I was amazed at the mostly
thankful attitudes of the people.

Many of them had been plucked off of rooftops that very day, the majority by
helicopter, some rescued by boats - put on a bus, taken to the airport, put
on another bus, and then onto a golf cart with me. Many did not have any
idea where they were.

Some had absolutely nothing. One man was carrying a box of crackers, that
was all. There was a 2 month old baby named Junior. There was a Spanish
speaking family - Roger, their teenage son road in my cart. He only new a
few words in English, but he said "this place good".

Three elderly woman, one named Anna, formed a friendship. They all 3 were
obviously the type of women who have a spotless house. One of them was all
alone in life, her husband deceased and her kids "gone" (I offered her my
phone to call someone, but she didn't have anyone to call). She told me
about how she had been on every mode of transportation known all in one day.
We're going down the road to her cabin and she was saying "WOO! This is
FUN!" She was laughing. Happy to be alive, and getting some help.

I took one man who had been in the Superdome for 3 days. He told me he was
next to one of the men who committed suicide. I told him that must have
been horrible to see, his response was "if you live in New Orleans, you just
get desensitized to things". He also told me of the bodies he had seen
floating in the water. That was another common theme most of us drivers
heard, the bodies floating.

One man had been found in his attic. He had been flat on his back since
Monday, not enough room to stand up, but the only dry spot he had.

I was so busy for so many hours that I didn't have time to do much thinking,
but now that it is sinking in, I can't help but cry.

I'm so tired, but I wouldn't change it for a thing.

If you can't do much, do SOMETHING, those people need it.

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lee - that is both moving and heartening - I daresay some memories will for many helpers be hard to forget. Thx for posting that. :smile:

·
Registered
814 Posts
I live in a good neighborhood, but there is a H.S. complex a couple of miles from here that is housing displaced NOlans.(I'm beginning to tire of hearing the term 'Refugee' even if is isn't incorrect term).

I have already seen a rise in the #'s of calls for property crimes in my zip code according to my S.A.P.D. I'm going to be a little more on edge and going to stick close to home for the next week or two.

Fellow Americans can have my help as long as they don't try to take or bring harm to what is mine.

Steve

·
Registered
868 Posts
CE a very heartfull letter, the poor are having a most difficult time with no medical treatment, no medicine or food and little things we are used to. Thanks for the post.

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
I welcome anyone who really needs shelter and food, but not if they are gonna be breaking laws. Probably won't affect me way up north here.

·
Premium Member
6,260 Posts
I heard they were bringing some medical cases to South Florida, but I doubt NO people would like to stay at Hurricane Central. :smile:

·
Registered
932 Posts
I know about some of the problems happening with the NOLA evacuee's and have an idea as to what many are going thru. I lived there for most of the past two decades and weathered Andrew, numerous floods and tropical storms myself. Four of my kids were born there and I would have probably still been living there last week if my wife hadn't received a promotion at work and was transferred to Texas a couple of years ago. My sister-in-law and her kids still lived there, at least until the storm came, and now she, three of her daughters and three of their friends are staying with us, possibly until October or longer. One of her daughter's is married and her husband is in the LA National Guard there. He had just returned from Iraq this past March when he was called up due to the storm. He's still in NOLA and has been calling every few days with news of what's happening down there. While my sister-in-law's house received relatively minor damage, there is still no power, water, almost no place to get gas or supplies within 30 miles of the city and the horror stories you've heard on the news about what went on at the dome and convention center are just the tip of the iceberg! He actually said that if he'd had a choice, he'd rather have been in Iraq than in NOLA, it was so bad the first 4-5 days. When the whole story starts to get out from the people who were there and saw what wasn't reported, it will be an eye opener to anyone who thinks that government agencies, police and other people we think are suppose to serve and protect us will be there when we need them most. The next time it hit's the fan (and it WILL happen somewhere, someday) we'd all better look to ourselves and remember the lessons NOLA is now teaching us the hard way.

·
Registered
932 Posts
BTW, here's one tidbit you probably didn't hear on FoxNews or CNN but was told to me by someone who was there. I suppose you've all heard of the horrific crimes that were committed by some of the animals that were let loose on their neighbors by the storm & flood. One particularly horrendous tragedy was the rape and murder of a 7 year old girl. Just so you know there can still be some justice in the midst of chaos, the individual who committed this crime received "justice" when a witness pointed him out and a group of 30 men and women beat him to death. The police removed his body when the crowd was finished. :dead:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts