Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Any time any individual who holds any reins of power "gets it" and comes over to our side. Late to the party or not.

It's a good & positive thing & one more small step in the right direction.
Mirrors my thoughts on this

·
Registered
885 Posts
He sounds like he's on the right side. His experience cannot be belittled by either side of the debate. Glad he seems to be trying to move the argument in the right direction. Welcome aboard Sir!

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts
Any time any individual who holds any reins of power "gets it" and comes over to our side. Late to the party or not.

It's a good & positive thing & one more small step in the right direction.
You are 100% correct. Now that he's a state senator, he can influence legislation

Reactions: Aceoky and SIGP250

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Compelling.

But, at the end of the day, it's just another person they'll likely ignore.

I'm convinced that not until SCOTUS votes 9:0 that no infringements qualify for sidestepping of the "no infringements" prohibition, we'll continue to get these encroachments all over the place. And I'm convinced that so long as the hired staff don't face very stiff personal penalties for hammering on people's civil rights that we're just going to keep getting more of the same. Not that SCOTUS or the hirelings are likely to do any such thing.

Hopefully the "heat" will be part of a veritable brush fire that sweeps across the remainder of the might-never-issue states. Hopefully this trend of "constitutional" carry will progress state-by-state until the permissions schemes collapse under the weight of their combined contradictions.

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts
Took him 24 years as a cop to figure out good folks with guns are not the problem? He is pretty dumb or full of bovine scat.
You have to take into account where he is and whom he served. Sometimes revelations have been there all along. His research simply opened up to him what he already viscerally knew. Having done his own research, proving beyond the shadow of any doubts , his previously held indoctrination was totally in error.

Again late to the party but he brought something good to it. It's a win, think of it as a mini Coral Sea...

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
You have to take into account where he is and whom he served. Sometimes revelations have been there all along. His research simply opened up to him what he already viscerally knew. Having done his own research, proving beyond the shadow of any doubts , his previously held indoctrination was totally in error.

Again late to the party but he brought something good to it. It's a win, think of it as a mini Coral Sea...
Agree, when dealing with a group of legislators that I presume to be mostly anti-gun, it is important to act humble and try to chose words that may appeal to their sense of reason.

From what I heard (in the video clip), he was playing good cop and bad cop at the same time in order to get his message out.

"I really wanted to find fault with the statistics, did my research but the facts proved even ME wrong" or something to that effect.

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
262 Posts
What is next for him to discover, that the sky is blue?
I say, that once per session, all legislators in all States and in DC, be marched outside.
There they would be forced to admit the obvious: such as the blue sky is right there overhead,and that water is wet,and that skunks stink...etc.
Make them sign an oath that they comprehend those things, or else, they can't return to legislating.

·
Premium Member
4,745 Posts
Lots of freely expressed snide opinions by some who know very little about Jack McCauley. He has become a "good guy" here in MD. He was testifying at a MD Senate committee meeting during the last legislative session (2015) in support of concealed carry reform. He is NOT a state senator.Maryland Senators - By Name

He saw the way the O'Malley administration suppressed dissent, worked behind closed doors to restrict our rights, and once retired, he felt compelled to share his story on his own volition. The trouble with the MD legislature is they simply don't care what anyone thinks. They have a veto proof majority, are doing everything they can to hamstring the Republican governor to the detriment to the state at large, and are fighting to prevent a bi-partisan appointed committee from being formed to fix the horrible gerrymandering situation that keeps them in office. So in short, his testimony fell on deaf ears despite a very compelling presentation. Give the guy a break for crying out loud. At least he is trying, which is way more than I can say for most.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
What is next for him to discover, that the sky is blue?
I say, that once per session, all legislators in all States and in DC, be marched outside.
There they would be forced to admit the obvious: such as the blue sky is right there overhead,and that water is wet,and that skunks stink...etc.
Make them sign an oath that they comprehend those things, or else, they can't return to legislating.
They've already sworn a blood oath.

Their actions show they violate it daily.

IMO, not much more is needed to know there's a viper in the living room. The real problem is: most folks simply aren't aware, don't understand it, and/or don't care.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Took him 24 years as a cop to figure out good folks with guns are not the problem? He is pretty dumb or full of bovine scat.
Many Police officers come through the ranks of the Military where they are taught, first of all, that the world is either Black or white. Our guys with guns, Good. Everyone else, BAD.
Second, The police have to follow and enforce the law. They only will see incidents of activity. They do NOT look at Percentages. It wasn't until he did that he saw the incidence of firearms crime among licensed carriers, as opposed to POLICE officers, that he realized that some of his previous information may be wrong. What really got his dander is the case where the "Need" is ill defined. He likes clear definitions, based on Reason and Evidence. What upset him is that the Reasons and evidence did not align. Massive, massive problem.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Jack was stopped by an O'Malley staffer from answering a question during GA testimony on the Firearms Safety Act of 2013. That's when his eyes were opened.

He is a stand up guy who retired rather than put up with the corruption in MD govt.

He doesn't deserve the snide remarks from people who don't have a clue.
Seems reasonable.

BTW that is a HUGE squirrel in your avatar, at least twice the size of any around here!

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'd imagine the anti folks would listen to one of their own who "wised up" long before any of us here........
I agree, I guy with his background could get the ear of some people you or I would probably not... it's all positive in my book.

Reactions: rodgersfam1980

·
Registered
43 Posts
Licensed gun carriers (CCW) are in an entirely different league than open carry and unlicensed gun carriers, different in that they have passed a background check and have attended a firearms training class.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
19,785 Posts
Well, he still believes in the Tooth Fairie, when it comes to UBC's filtering out all the BG's. But it's not a bad opening of the eyes for him, as a start. Hopefully he'll keep down that path, giving the thought process the intellectual integrity he seemingly has to offer up. Might well end up seeing the pointlessness of it all.

Kudos, for such folks beginning to wake up.
I don't think he mentioned universal background checks, he specifically talked about vetting for CCWs. Substantial difference there.

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
I wonder if he has progressed along the path of understanding during this time passed, and how many guns he now owns.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts