Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
The other side to this is that they don’t do anything about it, more people get sick, work on the ship suffers, they pull into a port somewhere else and get off the ship and a couple thousand people get off and walk around and get a bunch of other people sick and he gets blamed for doing the wrong thing anyway.
Stay at sea, evacuate the critically ill sailors. The rest feel crappy for a few days and we keep a carrier group at sea and don’t tell the ChiComms operational status.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Stay at sea, evacuate the critically ill sailors. The rest feel crappy for a few days and we keep a carrier group at sea and don’t tell the ChiComms operational status.
I agree except I would say go to anchor, because it would require fewer watches as people are getting sick and make it quicker to evacuate someone to a higher level of care if it becomes necessary. Sailors who are not sick could conduct disinfecting and cleaning in addition to watches. Even if it took a month for the virus to run its course, the ship can easily be resupplied.

·
Registered
7,969 Posts
Then what do you do about the others who continue to get sick? Continue evacuating people until you don’t have enough people to perform the necessary duties on board, but are stuck in the middle of the ocean? We saw with the diamond princess that 17% got infected. Those are people who did not all sleep and shower in the same areas.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Then what do you do about the others who continue to get sick? Continue evacuating people until you don’t have enough people to perform the necessary duties on board, but are stuck in the middle of the ocean? We saw with the diamond princess that 17% got infected. Those are people who did not all sleep and shower in the same areas.
These are young people, probably average less that 25 yoa. Most people who do get the virus have minor symptoms similar to the flu or none at all. Inside a couple of weeks you have herd immunity.

Every ship I've been on has had the same thing happen with flu or colds, everyone is sick and then no one is.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I agree except I would say go to anchor, because it would require fewer watches as people are getting sick and make it quicker to evacuate someone to a higher level of care if it becomes necessary. Sailors who are not sick could conduct disinfecting and cleaning in addition to watches. Even if it took a month for the virus to run its course, the ship can easily be resupplied.
You want an entire carrier battle group to anchor up for a month? Kind of blows OPSEC don't you think?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
He must have been an exceptional individual in some ways to have been assigned that duty. He made well informed choices, from a position of good intentions. I respect him for what he accomplished and his ability to do what most would not qualify for. The details known to him and his superiors resulted in consequences. I won't speculate on the reasons and the results. But I am sure he is still a remarkable asset to the country.

·
Registered
7,969 Posts
These are young people, probably average less that 25 yoa. Most people who do get the virus have minor symptoms similar to the flu or none at all. Inside a couple of weeks you have herd immunity.

Every ship I've been on has had the same thing happen with flu or colds, everyone is sick and then no one is.
It appears the Navy does not agree with you on that since that have now decided to evacuate people from the ship. Developing immunity or not, when you end up with a significant amount of people that can not do their job, you have a problem. Why deal with it at sea when they can pull into port and handle it in a better way?

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,822 Posts
The bar girls in Asia knew about this a month ago. I was on a Navy ship in the early 1970s. Several of us were in a bar in November. We were leaving in the morning to return to the States. One of the bar girls asked what we would bring her for Christmas. We laughed and said we would be in the States for Christmas. She insisted we would be there for Christmas. We got underway for the States and a couple of hours later received a classified message that our relief ship had broke down and was being towed back to Pearl Harbor. We were extended and were in that bar over Christmas.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Just a simple Army's guy opinion on this. The Commander of the ship knew exactly what he was doing when he sent the email and IMO he knew it would get to the press.

·
Registered
34,640 Posts
When you see tomorrow's flying schedule in the paper wrapping on the fried onion rings you bought off the vendor cart outside the gate at Osan AFB, Korea, you know OPSec has failed. No Ifs, Ands, or Buts.

·
Registered
407 Posts
When you see tomorrow's flying schedule in the paper wrapping on the fried onion rings you bought off the vendor cart outside the gate at Osan AFB, Korea, you know OPSec has failed. No Ifs, Ands, or Buts.
Or the TM's for the airplanes and equipment!

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
It appears the Navy does not agree with you on that since that have now decided to evacuate people from the ship. Developing immunity or not, when you end up with a significant amount of people that can not do their job, you have a problem. Why deal with it at sea when they can pull into port and handle it in a better way?
Politics and Public Relations. After the stink raised the Navy had no choice but to take ship, and therefore the entire carrier group, out of service.

The more I think on it the more I think the Captain should be hung for treason.

·
Registered
7,969 Posts
Politics and Public Relations. After the stink raised the Navy had no choice but to take ship, and therefore the entire carrier group, out of service.

The more I think on it the more I think the Captain should be hung for treason.
If they were were sincere about why Captain Croziers plan wasnt doable then they wouldnt have followed it after.

There is a long list of people that I would rather see hung for treason than a Captain who was taking care of his crew. Have you read the letter?

·
Registered
7,969 Posts
I don’t care what your pay grade is, you don’t go outside your chain of command.
Lol. We have a law in the US that was written speicifically for people to do that exact thing. Abolute statements like this may sound good in theory, but not in reality. When the COC is the problem, someone has to go somewhere.

Reactions: CAS_Shooter

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
If they were were sincere about why Captain Croziers plan wasnt doable then they wouldnt have followed it after.

There is a long list of people that I would rather see hung for treason than a Captain who was taking care of his crew. Have you read the letter?
Havoc, I agree with you about 99% of the time. This is the 1%. Have a good evening.

Reactions: Havok

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
You want an entire carrier battle group to anchor up for a month? Kind of blows OPSEC don't you think?
It would be the carrier and not the entire group, other ships could still be out completing other missions like they frequently do. While on deployment carriers often pull into a secure port (which Guam is considered) for 2-4 weeks to conduct a mid-deployment maintenance period, so it would not have necessarily appeared unusual as far as OPSEC goes.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The acting Sec Nav said that he found out about the situation from the media. If true, it speaks volumes about Capt. Crozier's chain of command.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
The acting Sec Nav said that he found out about the situation from the media. If true, it speaks volumes about Capt. Crozier's chain of command.
It also indicates Capt Crozier may have deliberately used the media. There isn’t an O-6 commander in any service who doesn’t know how to directly contact their service chief and secretary, as well as theIr COCOM CMDR and CJCS. He apparently didn’t skip echelon to directly appeal to higher level command and service leader force providers with a vested interest in his crew and vessel.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
It also indicates Capt Crozier may have deliberately used the media. There isn’t an O-6 commander in any service who doesn’t know how to directly contact their service chief and secretary, as well as theIr COCOM CMDR and CJCS. He apparently didn’t skip echelon to directly appeal to higher level command and service leader force providers with a vested interest in his crew and vessel.
There was a report out that the Captain didn't clear the letter with the Admiral. The Admiral in the cabin right next to his.

I'd say this was deliberate.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts