Defensive Carry banner

Of the three, which would you choose and why?

• Ruger SR1911 Lightweight Commander

Votes: 37 61.7%
  • Kimber Pro Carry II

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • Rock Island Ultra MS (Model 51487)

Votes: 8 13.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I really like my Colt Defender, and I shoot it quite well, I'm considering going to a Commander sized 1911 for carry. I've been looking over options and I THINK I have my choices narrowed down to three.

Rock Island Armory Rock Ultra MS

Kimber Pro Carry II

Ruger SR1911 Lightweight.

The most attractive thing about the Rocky is the price, but I've had no experience with them. They DO have a lifetime warranty though.
The most attractive thing about the Ruger is the titanium feed ramp and Ruger's customer service.
The Kimber is the in-between, both price and otherwise. I'm not sure I'm feeling the 4" barrel, but the exterior fit/finish on Kimbers, in my experience, is usually pretty good.

So, with an $875-ish budget, which of the three would you choose, and why? Or, is there another entry in this range I should consider (ATI, Fusion, etc)?

For my own reasons, Colt isn't in the picture on this one.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Personally, I'd get the Rock Island. I have handled a few of them and they are a lot of gun for the money.

That said, I don't think you could go wrong with the Kimber or Ruger. My buddy had a Kimber 1911 Gov't that was brilliant right out of the box, and Ruger makes top notch gun IMO.

I'm not sure that helps though...

·
Super Moderator
19,238 Posts
My "lightweight Commander" is a Kimber Custom CDP II, and it's probably the most accurate .45 I own. I'm not in love with the need for a tool to capture the recoil spring on takedown. nor the Swartz trigger safety, but it's well put together, reliable, and IMO of higher quality than the others you're looking at. The Ruger would be my solid second choice. When I start seeing more good 1911-smiths basing their custom guns on Rock Islands, I'll give them a further look.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Colt or Kimber followed by ruger springer ria in that order all alloy framed for carry

My wife edc is a Kimber I bought for ME but she laid claim to it , I went back and got a real deal on a colt commander but a series 70 upgraded model and a very nice shooter .

·
Registered
16,069 Posts
I sold my Ruger LW CMD to someone whose range sessions are longer than mine. He gets malfunctions once it warms up. He's a detective and has had it checked over by the station's armorer and even sent it to Ruger. Same problem. I'm not sure if he still has it or not because I hate bringing it up. I feel kind of guilty about it.

I love my Kimber Pro CDP. No Swartz safety and it's a good shooter. I changed the recoil spring over to a Wilson flat spring, which is supposed to get better life than Kimber's 500 round change suggestion. I would still opt for the Kimber even though the one you mentioned is a slight variation.

No personal experience with the Rocky.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Bang for the buck the decision is easy = Ruger CMD.

·
Super Moderator
21,913 Posts
I sold my Ruger LW CMD to someone whose range sessions are longer than mine. He gets malfunctions once it warms up. He's a detective and has had it checked over by the station's armorer and even sent it to Ruger. Same problem. I'm not sure if he still has it or not because I hate bringing it up. I feel kind of guilty about it.
I bet if he changed the barrel bushing to one made of carbon steel, his problems would go away.

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
Hubby (Gramps) has the full size RIA Ultra in 9mm and it has been flawless and totally accurate. He doesn't shoot it often but when he does, he shoots 100 to 150 rounds and always comes home with a big smile on his face. I shot a few rounds through it once and the recoil was really soft and it was also right on target.

·
Registered
8,941 Posts

I love my Kimber Pro CDP. No Swartz safety and it's a good shooter. I changed the recoil spring over to a Wilson flat spring, which is supposed to get better life than Kimber's 500 round change suggestion. I would still opt for the Kimber even though the one you mentioned is a slight variation.

No personal experience with the Rocky.
The first day out shooting my new Ruger LW, a friend and I put over 420 rounds through it with out any trouble. :yup:

·
Super Moderator
21,913 Posts
Excellent suggestion.
I don't recall how tight it was, but if it's expanding that could certainly hinder the slide.
Thanks.
Because of the history of stainless steel's galling, I was really surprised when Ruger started hyping the idea of making the barrel and bushing out of the same block of stainless as a great new idea. If I were ever to buy a Ruger 1911, replacing the stainless barrel bushing with one made of carbon steel would be the first thing I would do.

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
~ Tiger McKee

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
I would buy the kimber pro TLE over the pro carry, but I’ve been happy with kimbers guns. The ruger is also a good option though.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Colt or Kimber followed by ruger springer ria in that order all alloy framed for carry

My wife edc is a Kimber I bought for ME but she laid claim to it , I went back and got a real deal on a colt commander but a series 70 upgraded model and a very nice shooter .
I hate when that happens, but I love that it happens because it means I get to buy another gun!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bet if he changed the barrel bushing to one made of carbon steel, his problems would go away.
In my searches on the Ruger, I found that it could be an issue because of the bushing and barrel being made from the same bar of stainless. I would DEFINITELY do this if the Ruger ends up in my holster. Thanks for that gem of advice.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts