Defensive Carry banner

Of the three, which would you choose and why?

• Ruger SR1911 Lightweight Commander

Votes: 37 61.7%
  • Kimber Pro Carry II

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • Rock Island Ultra MS (Model 51487)

Votes: 8 13.3%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,915 Posts
In my searches on the Ruger, I found that it could be an issue because of the bushing and barrel being made from the same bar of stainless. I would DEFINITELY do this if the Ruger ends up in my holster. Thanks for that gem of advice.
You're quite welcome, sir.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Actually I would take the one I got the best deal on. However I voted the Ruger in this case. I have one we use in our Practical Pistol Classes. That said I have a spiffy Colt that Mike Chulmedaka used as one of his builds for his Gunsmith License.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Since this is still part of my search for a Commander-sized 1911, and thanks to a couple of forum members, I have found that a Dan Wesson can be had for a significant discount due to being retired military. So, I have a question. Since Dan Wesson is owned by CZ, but is made here, would that be considered 'buying American'? :image035:

Looking at several different possible models, depending on what kind of a discount they offer. I'll know more after I receive the price list.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
It would be as much "Made in America" as anything else.

I am looking at my first Commander in years & years, a DW Vigil. https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/vigil-commander/

That is one of my choices. Another is the ECP, which is similar, but with a 4" bull barrel, and a bobbed grip with g10 vice wood. It's a bit pricier, but hopefully with the discount, it'll still be in reach. They're 1280 at Bud's.

·
Super Moderator
21,915 Posts
That is one of my choices. Another is the ECP, which is similar, but with a 4" bull barrel, and a bobbed grip with g10 vice wood. It's a bit pricier, but hopefully with the discount, it'll still be in reach. They're 1280 at Bud's.
I guess I'm more of a traditionalist. :wink:

·
Registered
790 Posts
It would be as much "Made in America" as anything else.

I am looking at my first Commander in years & years, a DW Vigil. https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/vigil-commander/
I’ve been considering one of those as well, OD. I love my Dan Wesson CCO and V-Bob. An Ed Brown Kobra Carry has always been my dream gun, and still is - but it’s hard to imagine it being $1,000 better than the V-Bob.

·
Super Moderator
21,915 Posts
I’ve been considering one of those as well, OD. I love my Dan Wesson CCO and V-Bob. An Ed Brown Kobra Carry has always been my dream gun, and still is - but it’s hard to imagine it being $1,000 better than the V-Bob.
Having owned both, I prefer the DW, now if you (general you) prefer the fish scale, that's a different ballpark. :wink:

EB Kobra Carry.jpg

·
Banned
288 Posts
While I really like my Colt Defender, and I shoot it quite well, I'm considering going to a Commander sized 1911 for carry. I've been looking over options and I THINK I have my choices narrowed down to three.

Rock Island Armory Rock Ultra MS

Kimber Pro Carry II

Ruger SR1911 Lightweight.

The most attractive thing about the Rocky is the price, but I've had no experience with them. They DO have a lifetime warranty though.
The most attractive thing about the Ruger is the titanium feed ramp and Ruger's customer service.
The Kimber is the in-between, both price and otherwise. I'm not sure I'm feeling the 4" barrel, but the exterior fit/finish on Kimbers, in my experience, is usually pretty good.

So, with an $875-ish budget, which of the three would you choose, and why? Or, is there another entry in this range I should consider (ATI, Fusion, etc)?

For my own reasons, Colt isn't in the picture on this one.
Of the three, I'd take the Ruger because I've heard good things about it and not as much good about the others.

I am not in the market as I have a Remington R1 that I find to be quite excellent in every way.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts