Defensive Carry banner

Of the three, which would you choose and why?

• Ruger SR1911 Lightweight Commander

Votes: 37 61.7%
  • Kimber Pro Carry II

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • Rock Island Ultra MS (Model 51487)

Votes: 8 13.3%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
I've looked at the Ruger, and liked it. Didn't have a RIA in commander i could look at. Glanced at a Kimber, but didn't like the model, it was the one with the digital print on it. I've got a coworker that absolutely swears by Kimber, its all he'll buy. Me, I'd be interested in checking out the Remington R1, and ATI, etc offerings; if I could lay my hands on one. I'll be keeping an eye on this to see what you wind up with :)

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
To be honest I think God intended the 1911 to be a 5 inch barrel pistol. And he gave that vision to St. Browning.

Hence my Kimber Stainless Classic MK I is THE 1911 I'd pack.

But I do have a Colt Commander, series 80, and it runs well.

Dunno about the three mentioned.
I have two 5 inch Colt 1911's, one 3 inch Colt Defender, and a Kimber micro-9. The one I was missing was a Commander-sized 1911. This will likely become my EDC.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Congrats on the purchase! Good looking gun. Looking forward to the range report.
First 7 rounds through it, 9 yards, Weaver stance.

I think I am in love. Light, crisp trigger, Crisp thumb safety. Everything is nice and tight. Felt recoil is surprisingly low, relative to the weight of the gun (29 ounces unloaded). My main problem is I need longer arms so that I can see the front sight clearly. (Seriously, I need to get to the eye doc and get some new specs).

During the first 100 rounds, I had two failures to go into battery. Both times were when changing magazines, with a full complement of 8 rounds, when releasing the slide via the slide-stop. Both times were near the end of the session. I'm not worried, as the manual says to expect as much during the first 500 rounds, which is their 'break-in' period. Maybe I'll get it out again today and put another 100 through it.

View attachment 329088

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
My Rock Island is the best point-shooter that I have ever fired. Cannot think of anything that I would trade it for or, replace it with!

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
First 7 rounds through it, 9 yards, Weaver stance.

I think I am in love. Light, crisp trigger, Crisp thumb safety. Everything is nice and tight. Felt recoil is surprisingly low, relative to the weight of the gun (29 ounces unloaded). My main problem is I need longer arms so that I can see the front sight clearly. (Seriously, I need to get to the eye doc and get some new specs).

During the first 100 rounds, I had two failures to go into battery. Both times were when changing magazines, with a full complement of 8 rounds, when releasing the slide via the slide-stop. Both times were near the end of the session. I'm not worried, as the manual says to expect as much during the first 500 rounds, which is their 'break-in' period. Maybe I'll get it out again today and put another 100 through it.

View attachment 329088
When your barrel lugs get the edges smoothed up a little, that failure to go in to battery will/ should disappear. Put some grease on them and shoot the snot out of it for a couple hundred rounds without cleaning; just add more lube and it will settle right in.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
When your barrel lugs get the edges smoothed up a little, that failure to go in to battery will/ should disappear. Put some grease on them and shoot the snot out of it for a couple hundred rounds without cleaning; just add more lube and it will settle right in.
That's what the manual said to do, and that's what I'm doing. Just lube each 100 rounds is what they said to do. Thanks!

What grease would you recommend?

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
That's what the manual said to do, and that's what I'm doing. Just lube each 100 rounds is what they said to do. Thanks!

What grease would you recommend?
I don’t think it really matters, but I use Tetra because that’s what is available at my local supply.

Run it and get it hot, and that grease will really move around and mix with powder residue creating a nice little buffing compound. After a 100 rounds or so, the action will be slicker than snot:)

41 - 60 of 80 Posts