Defensive Carry banner

Of the three, which would you choose and why?

• Ruger SR1911 Lightweight Commander

Votes: 37 61.7%
  • Kimber Pro Carry II

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • Rock Island Ultra MS (Model 51487)

Votes: 8 13.3%

• Total voters
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
"I bet if he changed the barrel bushing to one made of carbon steel, his problems would go away."
^^^^ This!
But the Dan Wesson was a good choice (a cut above the others in my opinion).

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Well, another 200 rounds down the pipe and I am really loving this pistol. Ran it well and got it nice and warm. Had one failure to feed at 103 rounds. Added more grease and it went well the rest of the time. (Thanks @G-man*, I picked up some Birchwood Casey Renewalube - all they had at Cabelas) Honestly, it's killing me to NOT clean it. But, the good news is only 200 to go to be broken in by DW manual standards, and will be acceptable to carry. I think I am as confident with this Dan Wesson as I am with my Python.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
I do not, nor would I own any 1911 made by any of those companies. Wilson, Nighthawk, Les Baer, Alchemy, and Colt are my choices.

Reactions: simonp67

·
Registered
5 Posts
While I really like my Colt Defender, and I shoot it quite well, I'm considering going to a Commander sized 1911 for carry. I've been looking over options and I THINK I have my choices narrowed down to three.

Rock Island Armory Rock Ultra MS

Kimber Pro Carry II

Ruger SR1911 Lightweight.

The most attractive thing about the Rocky is the price, but I've had no experience with them. They DO have a lifetime warranty though.
The most attractive thing about the Ruger is the titanium feed ramp and Ruger's customer service.
The Kimber is the in-between, both price and otherwise. I'm not sure I'm feeling the 4" barrel, but the exterior fit/finish on Kimbers, in my experience, is usually pretty good.

So, with an $875-ish budget, which of the three would you choose, and why? Or, is there another entry in this range I should consider (ATI, Fusion, etc)?

For my own reasons, Colt isn't in the picture on this one.
I have a Series 80 Colt Commander, that I got a great deal on. I don't know if you can get one with your budget, but it would sill possibly be less than a Kimber.

I have a full size GI model Rock Island Armory and it is a very solid firearm. I can not speak to their Commanders, but I'd wager they are OK.

·
Registered
294 Posts
IMHO: If you are going to carry it, I would ONLY consider an alloy frame. A fully loaded steel frame anything gets real heavy after awhile! I have the Ruger alloy Commander size and something carry it from time to time. But for EDC it's a Shield 9mm or a Glock 19 Gen 5.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Decision has been made, so in retrospect, I feel that the choice made was a good one! I was going to recommend passing on the initial three options - not that they are bad choices, just that I believe there are better options.

First off... Henry... congrats on your new DW which HAS front strap checkering! Big thumbs UP.

My first choice would be a Colt Wiley Clapp Commander, either LW frame or, my preference, all stainless. The legendary Colt reliability - straight out of the box is a huge benefit. And another huge benefit is the front strap checkering! After decades of having many 1911s without front strap checkering, and a few with, I have come to really appreciate the benefit of FSC. It's a big deal, really, the way that locks the pistol into your hand like instant-setting epoxy!

And, I much prefer Commanders (4.25") with their full-size magazines vs Compacts (4") with their short magazines.

That said, the DW is a good choice, as would be a Springfield. Springfield's customer service is excellent and well established.

Full size mag, with front strap checkering for me.

I have Kimber full-size and compacts that are excellent guns, but they were all made well before Kimber went down the road of focusing on cosmetics, external extractors and Swartz safeties, rather than reliability.

At this stage in my 1911 ownership, I wouldn't buy any 1911 which didn't come with front strap checkering from the factory -OR wouldn't be receiving that upgrade after purchase. Just my personal choice.

My stainless and alloy frame Wiley Clapps.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Decision has been made, so in retrospect, I feel that the choice made was a good one! I was going to recommend passing on the initial three options - not that they are bad choices, just that I believe there are better options.

First off... Henry... congrats on your new DW which HAS front strap checkering! Big thumbs UP.

My first choice would be a Colt Wiley Clapp Commander, either LW frame or, my preference, all stainless. The legendary Colt reliability - straight out of the box is a huge benefit. And another huge benefit is the front strap checkering! After decades of having many 1911s without front strap checkering, and a few with, I have come to really appreciate the benefit of FSC. It's a big deal, really, the way that locks the pistol into your hand like instant-setting epoxy!

And, I much prefer Commanders (4.25") with their full-size magazines vs Compacts (4") with their short magazines.

That said, the DW is a good choice, as would be a Springfield. Springfield's customer service is excellent and well established.

Full size mag, with front strap checkering for me.

I have Kimber full-size and compacts that are excellent guns, but they were all made well before Kimber went down the road of focusing on cosmetics, external extractors and Swartz safeties, rather than reliability.

At this stage in my 1911 ownership, I wouldn't buy any 1911 which didn't come with front strap checkering from the factory -OR wouldn't be receiving that upgrade after purchase. Just my personal choice.

My stainless and alloy frame Wiley Clapps.

Those are some nice looking 1911's.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Thank you. They are just two among a good number, mostly Colts - several of which are full custom Colts from top names in the industry. (I've come to appreciate these basically stock -with a few mods- 1911s over even my finest Custom Colts!)

There are many 1911 manufacturers who are producing excellent pistols. I have them from some of the best. Along with that, there is a quality to Colts, at such reasonable prices, that is unmistakeable. In spite of the numerous problems that the Colt organization has been plagued with over many years, they have been producing some exceptionally reliable and accurate 1911s in the last decade. I wish this venerable and legendary American firearms manufacturer nothing but the best moving forward in this INSANE American societal environment that we currently face.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
For anyone interested, the reason I left Colt out of the running is that the last two Colts I have purchased, both within the past two years, had issues.

On the Government model, I had to have the slide stop lever replaced. Periodically the slide would not stay open on an empty magazine. Using different magazines didn't help. Granted, Colt stands by their product, but it's the idea that I had to address the issue in the first place.

On the Defender, the thumb safety broke. It is still at Colt for repairs. It was several months out of 'warranty' but they said that they would cover this repair.

Before finding out that Dan Wessons were within reach price-wise, I was leaning toward the Rocky, but was bouncing back-and-forth between it and the Ruger. For those who won't purchase anything less than a Les Baer on up, that's wonderful that you choose to go that route. However, bear in mind that not everyone can drop 2K and up on a pistol. For my scenario, a Les Baer, even a used one, is way out of the budget I gave. Shoot, even the Dan Wesson stretched it quite a bit.

My recent experience with my cheap Brazilian parts gun shows that a decent 1911 need not carry a stratospheric price tag. With that being said, I firmly agree that, to an extent, you get what you pay for. There is a world of difference between the feel, operation, aesthetics, and fit-and-finish of the Dan Wesson as compared to the aforementioned CBPG.

Thanks all for your valuable input.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I've spent way too much money on high dollar 1911 brands and highfalutin custom 1911s. Are they nice pistols? - OF COURSE they are. But...

After all of that, my take on the 1911 market is that high dollar 1911s are directed toward those (like me) with excess disposable income. For many of these buyers, they are not working tools, but fancy high-priced boyz toys, with lethal capability. And I'm guilty of some of that.

BUT, you can have a 1911 with every bit the reliability and accuracy of the "big buck" makers for around a grand and perhaps a few high-grade aftermarket parts. I'll take a Colt, with perhaps a few replacement parts, as personally desired, over any of the "big buck" 1911s... and enjoy the same reliability and accuracy, with massive monetary savings.

I can afford either route, but no longer will I blow $3000-5000 on ANY pistol, by ANY maker, thank you very much. Been there. Done that. Finished with it. Won't go there again!

If the money means nothing (as it does to most buyers of Nighthawk, et al) go for it!

But to anyone who is NOT carefree about tossing thousands of dollars at a PISTOL, rest assured... you don't need to do that to achieve equal (or better) reliability and accuracy.

"Big buck" 1911s are all about bragging rights and Bar-b-que show offs. If you need that, great, suck it up. If you don't need that, awesome - be thrilled not to go there.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
For anyone interested, the reason I left Colt out of the running is that the last two Colts I have purchased, both within the past two years, had issues.

On the Government model, I had to have the slide stop lever replaced. Periodically the slide would not stay open on an empty magazine. Using different magazines didn't help. Granted, Colt stands by their product, but it's the idea that I had to address the issue in the first place.

On the Defender, the thumb safety broke. It is still at Colt for repairs. It was several months out of 'warranty' but they said that they would cover this repair.
There isn't a 1911 maker out there who hasn't had to do warranty work, replacement parts, etc. on a 1911. This includes some of the biggest name custom 1911 pistol smiths and the biggest name major manufacturers.

So, that fact that you had a couple of parts issues in the past - with ANY maker, is inconsequential, really.

Buy what feels good to you, but don't think that if you keep changing makers, you'll eliminate the need for occasional warranty work or parts replacement. You won't. Dan Wesson isn't immune. They were not successful, in a few attempts, in correcting a problem that I had with one of their guns a few years ago. That doesn't mean I would write them off, though.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
@DHart -- Right on and fine looking Colts! I love my Wiley Clapp LW Commander as well. I don't keep it in a safe -- it's one of my everyday shootin' irons and has not had a single issue.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #80 (Edited)
There isn't a 1911 maker out there who hasn't had to do warranty work, replacement parts, etc. on a 1911. This includes some of the biggest name custom 1911 pistol smiths and the biggest name major manufacturers.

So, that fact that you had a couple of parts issues in the past - with ANY maker, is inconsequential, really.

Buy what feels good to you, but don't think that if you keep changing makers, you'll eliminate the need for occasional warranty work or parts replacement. You won't. Dan Wesson isn't immune. They were not successful, in a few attempts, in correcting a problem that I had with one of their guns a few years ago. That doesn't mean I would write them off, though.
Oh, I don't doubt that every maker has had to do warranty work, replacement parts, etc. It is, after all, a mechanical device. The fact that I have had issues within the first year (+/-) of ownership of each of two pistols of similar design from the same manufacturer may be inconsequential to you, but to me, it speaks of a lack of quality control. For the record, I don't believe that continuing to change makers will eliminate the need for occasional warranty work or parts replacements, but 2 for 2 is hardly 'occasional' in my book.

I also know Dan Wesson is not immune, and they have had their issues. Look, if I am brand-loyal to any manufacturer, it would be Colt. I was raised on Colt revolvers, I have more Colts in my safe than any other maker, and I pretty much cringed when I bought my first Smith & Wesson.(An AR, not a revolver.) But I'm not so brand-loyal that I wanted to risk getting bit a third time. Have I written them off? Of course not. I'll consider a new Python when they get the reported bugs worked out of it. But for this purchase, given the time frame since my last two Colt purchases, I DID write them off.

But thank you for your input.

And, as an additional side note, I got notice from Colt today that my Defender is on its way back to me! 😊

61 - 80 of 80 Posts