Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the commonly recommended leather owb holsters? The only owb I have is a galco that flops around in the breeze. Looking for lots of cant and decent butt tucking for an XDm 4.5 45. I'd prefer to keep it under $120 or so
Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
794 Posts
First I will repeat what I said for 43 years running a leather holster company:

Everything in holster design involves compromises among the 4 basic factors of comfort, accessibility, security, and concealment. Whenever one factor is emphasized there will be compromises in the other factors. There is no such thing as the perfect holster for every user or application. Only the user can decide which factors are most important for his uses and how much compromise he is willing to accept.

Next: You must decide what you want a holster to do for you. If your absolute goal is security you may wish to consider a locking steel cabinet suspended from your belt or shoulder harness (yes, I am making this comment as an example of how ludicrous some questions can become).

A holster best suited for carry in the field or at the shooting range may not be the best choice for discreet concealed carry. A holster that protects the handgun from every contact with the environment may offer little in the way of accessibility or comfort. A holster that maximizes concealment may require some compromises in accessibility or comfort.

Prior to my retirement I offered 13 holster designs, each with or without 4 common options, left-hand or right-hand, in 4 finish colors, for 156 different handgun models. That resulted in over 80,000 possible variations, but I continued to receive requests for others almost daily.

Not every holster style is suitable for every handgun model. Very small and compact semi-auto pistols require much different approaches than a large revolver.

If you want to do yourself a real favor I suggest that you google-search Lobo Gun Leather. I started the company in 1972, retired in 2015, now owned by the Fedders family of Ely, Minnesota and continuing with my original designs as well as their own innovations. Get in touch with Mark Fedders, or his wife Alethea, or son Matt, and tell them what you want to accomplish, then listen to their suggestions. Then you will have a starting point for beginning your search, regardless of the holster maker you select.

43 years making holsters for customers in all 50 US states and 33 other countries. Maybe I learned a thing or two.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I prefer high-ride pancake style leather holsters. I have a D.M. Bullard for my government model 1911s and a Ted Blocker for my Springfield Armory TRP Operator 1911s with rails.

View attachment 324394
View attachment 324396
Is that the 911m? I just looked at Blockers website, and that is the only one that really looked useful, provided it is easy to reholster.

·
Super Moderator
23,201 Posts
What are the commonly recommended leather owb holsters? The only owb I have is a galco that flops around in the breeze. Looking for lots of cant and decent butt tucking for an XDm 4.5 45. I'd prefer to keep it under $120 or so
Any ideas? Thanks
You need to budget in a good gun belt too! That is essential! Either where you get your holster, or elsewhere, but it should be a gun belt. I have had several, but now prefer The Beltman, mainly due to the balance between affordability and utility, construction, and beauty. The Beltman nails it for me.

thebeltman

Look at our list of holster artists, but the advice above is sound.

·
Registered
794 Posts
You need to budget in a good gun belt too! That is essential! Either where you get your holster, or elsewhere, but it should be a gun belt. I have had several, but now prefer The Beltman, mainly due to the balance between affordability and utility, construction, and beauty. The Beltman nails it for me.

thebeltman

Look at our list of holster artists, but the advice above is sound.
A house without a proper foundation will not last long, the windows will never function properly, and the doors will not open and close as they should. The belt is the foundation on which a solid carry platform is built, supporting a holster firmly and consistently.

No holster will ever perform to any reasonable expectation without a proper belt to support it.

·
Registered
796 Posts
...The only owb I have is a galco that flops around in the breeze...
In my own estimation, Galco makes some of the best-designed "ready to wear" holsters you can buy.
Therefore, reading that yours "flops around in the breeze" makes me believe that it's either incorrect for your pistol, or it's being worn on the wrong belt.

Would you care to expand on that subject, and explain further?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...The only owb I have is a galco that flops around in the breeze...
In my own estimation, Galco makes some of the best-designed "ready to wear" holsters you can buy.
Therefore, reading that yours "flops around in the breeze" makes me believe that it's either incorrect for your pistol, or it's being worn on the wrong belt.

Would you care to expand on that subject, and explain further?
My apologies to galco, it is actually a bianchi.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As far as belts go, I'm pretty happy with my crossbreed belts and not really looking to upgrade right now. When I do get a new belt, I want to try a riggers style that is adjustable. I think they have a layer of kydex in them? Either way, I have a few gun/holster combos that are either too tight, or too loose.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
The belt I wear and have done for the last 10 years. Is made of nylon, no metal at all! The frequent flier, from the Wilderness Store, in Phonix Arizona. Weighs nothing! Carrying my Gen 4 Glock 19, a Kydex holster (No idea where I obtained the holster from?) had it a few years. When carrying my latest purchase, a Glock 43X it is belt slide, in leather, from Urban Carry Lock Leather. Made right here in Sandford Florida. 201-R

It has a neat little locking tab, that locks the trigger guard. Releases with an audible click. A medium FBI Cant. That I carry at around 3-30 on my right side. But alas, even with the Shield aftermarket, all steel 15 round magazine.

I more often than not, have stayed with my Glock 19. I just shoot this pistol so well. I tilt my shoulder a little, the gun is in my hand. Shot IDPA for 15 years, a more or less head-on collision, wrote my 2007 Jeep off on Boxing Day 2015. Banged me up pretty badly, no broken bones. Bottom line is, not shooting IDPA anymore. Just lost interest.
Bought a 2016 Jeep Cherokee (The small one) a 4 cylinder. Quite a drop-down from a V-8. But it works fine.

I had my own teaching business for 25 years in Toronto Canada. No concealed carry there. Any advise I can give. CARRY! Every day. I do. I have met Floridians, who carry "When I feel like I need too" Me, retired, I carry every time I get dressed, till bedtime. The way we dress in this wonderful State makes carrying all the time, real easy.

Well, I rambled on enough, back to bed for a couple more hours. Being shut in's, no problem. Love each others company. A must on a carry Pistol. Night Sights. G 43X Ameriglow, fitted at the Factory. G 19. TruGlo. Fitted by me.

Keep Safe.

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
I am partial to the holsters and belts that Tucker Gun Leather puts out.
But after seeing seeing some of the posts here, I think i will give Nelson a shot on my next one.
Seems to come highly recommended,

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
You need to budget in a good gun belt too! That is essential! Either where you get your holster, or elsewhere, but it should be a gun belt. I have had several, but now prefer
A house without a proper foundation will not last long, the windows will never function properly, and the doors will not open and close as they should. The belt is the foundation on which a solid carry platform is built, supporting a holster firmly and consistently.

No holster will ever perform to any reasonable expectation without a proper belt to support it.

Yep! Do not scrimp here.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
My Galco "Concealable" model is a good non-custom made holster. It has a good cant and certainly doesn't "flop around in the breeze."

·
Registered
986 Posts
My Blackhawk pancake for lunch the G17 works well.

Don’t forget a good purpose built carry belt. I use a Bigfoot steel reinforced belt that is very comfortable.

Also considered kydex. My KRounds (very similar to Vedder) pancake works well with my cheap 911 double duty belt.

·
Registered
402 Posts
OWB leather holster = Kramer horsehide belt scabbard

My opinion of course...:wink:

(Though the current price is $126.50 so you would have to toss in another $6.50)

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
What are the commonly recommended leather owb holsters? Looking for lots of cant and decent butt tucking for an XDm 4.5 45. I'd prefer to keep it under $120 or so
There is nothing "common", merely what people buy.

A holster that meets your requirement is the no longer made Milt Sparks Roadrunner. You can find them on Ebay, and one just got sold for pennies on 1911Forum.

View attachment 324566

1 - 19 of 19 Posts